Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has always had the skills and the ability, I believe we played him off half back for a couple years to help develop his game sense and I think now that he's returned to his more natural position he's going to continue to flourish and grow.

I think Harry is one of the sleight of figure lads who is going to really become a scary prospect as he develops physically- over the last season or two he has been one of our few players to hit a tackle and stick it (Him, Scrim, Day, Cj all in a similar vein with this).

I must admit, it is incredibly vindicating to see him in this form! Can't wait to see it continue to grow.

He has improved tremendously this season and it is great to see. I'm glad he's proving me wrong.

As a player that was decent at everything but not great at any one thing - all he had to do was lift his base a little and he becomes a solid role player.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that he is actually the leader of the young group around the club (not Worpel).

He has improved tremendously this season and it is great to see. I'm glad he's proving me wrong.

As a player that was decent at everything but not great at any one thing - all he had to do was lift his base a little and he becomes a solid role player.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is that he is actually the leader of the young group around the club (not Worpel).
Where's this coming from? I've not seen anything to indicate this- but I'm a fan!

Having a very good season thus far on the back of a big preseason. Kids need time to improve their training age and build experience and he is a great reminder that progression isn’t linear and players sometimes need to go backwards before they go forwards. I’m thinking Worpel might also be in the same position. Both played around the fifty games.

He ran down duckwood twice today and should have been rewarded. The defensive side of his game has been huge this year.

Really like the fact he balances over his kicks and is able to hit a target over hands.

I think that’s been one of the most noticeable things about Morrison’s game this year. His decision making has improved greatly.

I think that’s been one of the most noticeable things about Morrison’s game this year. His decision making has improved greatly.
His fellow backmen are now moving with him.

My issue with his decision making was that he often passed to a stationary target.

the backline, almost as a whole, is now more willing to run into space & create opportunities/options for him (& others). I think this has resulted in his decision making appearing better - he's actually got option/s now.

His fellow backmen are now moving with him.

My issue with his decision making was that he often passed to a stationary target.

the backline, almost as a whole, is now more willing to run into space & create opportunities/options for him (& others). I think this has resulted in his decision making appearing better - he's actually got option/s now.
In 2004/05/06 we had a bunch of players who looked like they couldn’t kick for s**t. By 2008 they all looked like they had silky skills. The space created by players running off the ball does more for kicking efficiency and decision making than anything else. But it is hard for teams to get that confidence to run when a team mate has the ball. Richmond aren’t that skilled as a team (improved a lot since 2017 though) but they belt hard into space and give their team mates plenty of options and generally easy kicks. As our team improved I think we will see guys like impey, day, scrimshaw etc really elevate into elite players because guys will know if they make a good lead the ball will reach them.

In 2004/05/06 we had a bunch of players who looked like they couldn’t kick for sh*t. By 2008 they all looked like they had silky skills. The space created by players running off the ball does more for kicking efficiency and decision making than anything else. But it is hard for teams to get that confidence to run when a team mate has the ball. Richmond aren’t that skilled as a team (improved a lot since 2017 though) but they belt hard into space and give their team mates plenty of options and generally easy kicks. As our team improved I think we will see guys like impey, day, scrimshaw etc really elevate into elite players because guys will know if they make a good lead the ball will reach them.
There is nothing that annoys me more than the fans cry: “Our mids butcher the ball, we need to recruit Josh Kelly!”

Turn out a few years later their mids didn’t understand the game-plan making poor decisions leading to kicks under pressure and poor execution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed in the last half of the last quarter he was either involved in the chain, or has the last possession, of nearly all our scores.

We looked better when he had it. Hope he can bring it consistently.

In 2004/05/06 we had a bunch of players who looked like they couldn’t kick for sh*t. By 2008 they all looked like they had silky skills. The space created by players running off the ball does more for kicking efficiency and decision making than anything else.
The same applies to our midfield, trying to deliver inside F50m to a stagnant, well covered forwardline.

The guy with the ball is made to look ridiculous but with forwards out of position & defenders everywhere, they don't have a lot of options.

If Smith had stayed around we wouldn't be seeing this version of Morrison at all. He's probably be toiling away in the VFL, or maybe playing HBF instead of CJ.

Either way, that's not good for us.
The short term pain of watching Smith run around in those ugly hoops is made bearable by knowing some of our young blokes are getting more experience in positions they're better at, as opposed to developing more strings to their bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back