Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time I watch clips of this bloke he resembles Howe as much as Scrimshaw resembles Birchall. Same posture, same run, similar kicking style.

I know there are plenty who want to rate him far better, but maybe the upside is that he'll be the player Howe could have been if he hadn't been moved around too often and had any natural flair drilled out of him.

Every time I watch clips of this bloke he resembles Howe as much as Scrimshaw resembles Birchall. Same posture, same run, similar kicking style.

I know there are plenty who want to rate him far better, but maybe the upside is that he'll be the player Howe could have been if he hadn't been moved around too often and had any natural flair drilled out of him.

When Howe was coming through the club wanted him to model his game on Fyfe. Not sure when that all changed and they asked him to become a winger.

= Pendlebury

Absolutely nailed it, nice vision and sweet left foot on him too.

I wonder what all the peeps bagging those of us who wanted tall mids this years are thinking about now too?

Solid lateish pick, now to see if they can knock the raw edges off and develop him like we have so many others in recent times

the players from pick 27 to 36 range we could have had

the obvious one is Jacob Ryan and how those compare too Hustwaite

He grew 15cms this year apparently.

That bodes well for above average upside in his agility and pace after a year or two of an AFL strength and conditioning program.

When someone grows that much in a single year it can take a little while for their nervous system to get a handle on those new proportions.

Howe's big weakness was slow decision-making and slow ball movement. If Husthwaite shares those problems, he will share Howe's fate. If he can move there ball to the right places quickly, he will be better than Howe.

Everybody keeps talking about Daniel Howe, but let's show some respect here.

HH was just taken with a pick later than the one we used on Howe in 2014. Dan played a tick under 100 games over 7 years.

At a minimum if we get the same output from Huswaite it's still a success.

The exciting part is that I think he has scope to be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HH was just taken with a pick later than the one we used on Howe in 2014. Dan played a tick under 100 games over 7 years.

Don’t we need a Howe replacement?

Seems like a pretty unique player - feels a boom/bust type. If he make it work as an inside beast then he could be a gun, but if not prob not enough tricks to make it down back etc. A pretty reasonable punt at the pick.

A tick under 100 games you say? Well, you can take it to the bank that his son will be an out and out superstar.

Another, absolute top quality, human.

Fox Footy’s Mick Ablett … “He is character plus Henry Hustwaite. He’s as good a person as you’d bring into your football club,”

Yes, but has he ever played basketball?

Draft guru Kevin Sheehan said Hustwaite’s basketball background ensured he had elite decision making where he “didn’t panic” with the footy

Absolutely nailed it, nice vision and sweet left foot on him too.

I wonder what all the peeps bagging those of us who wanted tall mids this years are thinking about now too?

Solid lateish pick, now to see if they can knock the raw edges off and develop him like we have so many others in recent times

Tall mids are the future

Geez it's crazy how in a 2 year period you can completely change and area of your list. Our midfield in the last two years has added Jai, Ned long, C-Mac, Stephens, Bramble, C Mackenzie, Amon, Ward, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, etc.

Howe wasn't a terrible player by any means, and there were times in 2016-2018 where I felt he was unreasonably overlooked, but his lack of pace could leave us exposed. If HH has decent jets and endurance, then he'll be an asset playing the Howe role.

Howe wasn't a terrible player by any means, and there were times in 2016-2018 where I felt he was unreasonably overlooked, but his lack of pace could leave us exposed. If HH has decent jets and endurance, then he'll be an asset playing the Howe role.
Just as long as he doesn't do any Howe-lers when kicking across goal...

I'm certainly not one for political correctness but maybe nick naming him after a serial rapist could be looked upon as bad taste?
I thought it was a reference to Rosemary Huxtable, the recently retired Secretary of the Commonwealth Dept of Finance, because of his calm efficiency under pressure.

She’s a huge Collingwood fan btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back