Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Very surprised he left the Pies after winning a flag. I know it's mostly to do with bad relations with Craig McRae and a more lucrative offer by Hawthorn, but do we actually think it's because he's such a Hawks tragic he'd leave a side that's probably going to win the flag 2024 for a young team on the rebuild? Without knowing any details, I actually reckon it could've been a factor, which is pretty much unheard of as obviously player's support for their-once-beloved-club goes out the window the moment they start playing for another*
Well i'm sure his love for the hawks didn't hurt. From memory in 2022 and itk poster hear (Topiary?) flagged Ginnivan as a potential recruit. So there's every chance we'd been sniffing around for a few years and pounced when Collinwood had enough

Happens quite a bit TBH.

Plenty of opposition fans (even quite a few so called footy analysts) took ages to recognise the fact that James Sicily is an absolute gun as they were always bringing up his past indiscretions as a hot headed youth.

Not a bad recruiting trick actually, identify and target players whose talent gets overshadowed by their negative media profile.

Buddy had this problem for ages. He had a couple of seasons around 11-13 when he just couldn’t stop bumping people and copped a reputation. I can’t remember him being reported either before or after that period.

Buddy had this problem for ages. He had a couple of seasons around 11-13 when he just couldn’t stop bumping people and copped a reputation. I can’t remember him being reported either before or after that period.
I reckon it's closer to the 06-09 seasons.

He got rubbed out for a week for bumping Bock at Football Park in 08. And of course for two when he and Cousins collided in 09.

Well i'm sure his love for the hawks didn't hurt. From memory in 2022 and itk poster hear (Topiary?) flagged Ginnivan as a potential recruit. So there's every chance we'd been sniffing around for a few years and pounced when Collinwood had enough
Was RoughandLove from memory

Magic how he never got suspended after going to Sydney. Remember that hit against us up at Stadium Australia was it in a final? Or late round? Hit the head and got off. It was pure magic

Magic how he never got suspended after going to Sydney. Remember that hit against us up at Stadium Australia was it in a final? Or late round? Hit the head and got off. It was pure magic
He missed a week in 2022 for striking Cotchin. 🤷‍♂️

season 2 stir the pot GIF by MTV Floribama Shore

I’m loving the bromance that is beginning between him and the Wizard. Will drive defenders mad

They are going to be despised by opposition fans. Head highs/free kicks/nipping at defenders heels and giving them a mouthful when they make mistakes. I give it till round 4 before it blows up in the media

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at me celebrations when your team gets beaten are not what I want my club to be associated with.
Remember Clarko had the shot gun put away very quickly.

Without going over the top, positivity even when losing badly can fool your fight or flight tendency

Wonder what his trade value would’ve been end of 2022. Feel like we got him at a great discount

My read.

The Pies weren't prepared to trade him in 2022 (when they could have got way more) and instead chose to convince him to stay. When they realised it was futile and knew he was going, they moved quickly to plan B and went after Schultz. It wasn't a last minute thing as it was made out. The story was fabricated and the timing of the trades were stage managed to make it look like they were blind sided to appease the Pies fan base (likely with the help of the Hawks).

I knew Ginni was out when I saw the way they played him during the season. It reminded me of how we played Franko in 2013.

I don’t buy that his going to the races on grand final eve was a thing too. Sounded like a ver tame evening. If he had gone to gold class instead?

Rumours of him coming to Hawthorn were going around in middle of 2022. And was thrown up in potential Tom Mitchell trade.
But if it's true that he wanted to leave and was convinced to stay but wasn't happy i'd say it turned out pretty well for him to get a flag on the way out the door.

Rumours of him coming to Hawthorn were going around in middle of 2022. And was thrown up in potential Tom Mitchell trade.
But if it's true that he wanted to leave and was convinced to stay but wasn't happy i'd say it turned out pretty well for him to get a flag on the way out the door.

Wins a flag, albeit in what was a poor season personally. He then gets his childhood dream move and comes across extremely motivated with a point to prove. Maybe the perfect scenario all-round.

Is a premiership player, no one can take that away from him. Not that many people will remember he didn't play super well that year. Is still super young, joins a club at the very early stages of a rebuild, but a club with a monumental culture of success. Could very conceivably win another flag before he's done. In a very good position.

And showed extremely promising signs in the pre-season.

When you’re behind, it’s best to put your head down try to fix it.
you can absolutely do both at the same time

in some instances getting into the head of an oppo player may actually be beneficial to your chances of turning the game around. showing that fire and demonstrating you're still emotionally invested in the game can help bring up the energy of your teammates too.

i wouldn't make a habit of trash-talking while you're getting flogged...but if your normal playstyle is to play on edge and be that pest then i think it's weak and hypocritical to only behave that way when you're winning. in my mind it's the equivalent of turning off the TV when your team is losing.

id rather see Ginni or Watson or whoever get in the opposition's face when we're losing and show some passion rather than (if) when we're thumping a team by 10 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back