Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting that one. When he plays high forward and wing he often gets deep into defence for intercept marks and creates run from D50
Nick Daicos role. Could see that. Extra number trying to get 1-2s and break lines.

Cannot see him as part of the back 6 however. He's not a defender.

Nick Daicos role. Could see that. Extra number trying to get 1-2s and break lines.

Cannot see him as part of the back 6 however. He's not a defender.
Didn't we try Seamus in this role at BH (HBF) before he was injured?

Very much hope so. Jack's recent instagram post shows him and Seamus with Newcombe and Bramble, so no doubt helping to keep them focussed and positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, like this esp. as there will be some rookie upgrades. But is there a risk another club pinches Seamus?
I don't think it's 'the done thing'.

Every year, clubs cut players then Rookie-list them. Didn't we do it with Dylan Moore?

The rule has changed regarding that, a few years ago.

Now, you can move them to the rookie list directly without them having to go back into the draft. i.e other clubs didn't have the option to poach Dylan Moore. Seamus would be the same.

I’m not quite sure where either Jack or Seamus fit and who they’re in front of.

One of those situations where you only get a couple of years to show something and if you’re injured or behind a few you’re off the list.

I feel our first 2 picks this year will be similar types to Seamus and Jack putting further pressure on them to be retained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not quite sure where either Jack or Seamus fit and who they’re in front of.

One of those situations where you only get a couple of years to show something and if you’re injured or behind a few you’re off the list.

I feel our first 2 picks this year will be similar types to Seamus and Jack putting further pressure on them to be retained.
I'm hopeful on Seamus, if only because of what was said about him at various times pre-draft, and among track-watchers last year, when we starting to have his first injury-free time.

I must admit, I'm doubtful on Jack, who is a mad goer, but whose skills can be a liability at the top level. But who knows?

The rule has changed regarding that, a few years ago.

Now, you can move them to the rookie list directly without them having to go back into the draft. i.e other clubs didn't have the option to poach Dylan Moore. Seamus would be the same.
I think that rule has now reverted back. Initially it was in place due to anticipating cuts to list sizes but it is now back to the delist and pick up in the rookie draft method.

Source: AFL confirms 2022 list sizes, tweaks rule for rookies

But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

ALTHOUGH, interestingly below that is:
They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022
Which is unclear because couldn't you just sign someone for the following year, then move them? Either way I don't think that's an option because otherwise GC would have done it with Greenwood and not lost him and there were several others that had to use the draft e.g. Ben Davis, Lochie O'Brien, Mitch Crowden and several more

To be honest, cant believe they would let saunders go with the assets he has shown without proper opportunity.... others will grab him if the hawks dont!

Disagree. There are none in the draft or on the list with his unique blend of speed and endurance. Nor have they shown the rate of improvement in their game that Jack showed in the last 6 weeks of this season.
Come back Dominic, all is forgiven!!!

Disagree. There are none in the draft or on the list with his unique blend of speed and endurance. Nor have they shown the rate of improvement in their game that Jack showed in the last 6 weeks of this season.
My god. Wtf?

Give me Bramble ten fold, Amon, CJ, Maginness etc etc.

And in this draft? Like how can you even get it so wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back