Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He was probably 50/50 to be on the list prior to the debut anyway, so they decided to give him a crack in the last round, and now that they’ve made the call it suggests that someone else might get that spot.

It’s always tough and go with the last couple of list spots.
Think Stephens coming in pushed him out.

A late delisting that occurred just after port announced their delistings, I put it in another thread but really hoping we look at bringing Dylan Williams in. Hugely talented just needs to up his fitness and workrate

Bit surprised by this delisting. Had some good traits and his improvement has been excellent. Not sure what else he could have done given where he started. Also, why’d we play him in the last round? As others have suggested, something has changed here…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, why’d we play him in the last round? As others have suggested, something has changed here…

Did you see our year end injury list? I’m surprised Monkhurst wasn’t playing ruck for us.

Once again the online commentary on Instagram suggests we’ve let go of the next Brownlow medalist from a bunch of people who’ve probably never seen him play outside his senior debut. I’ll never understand the online hand-wringing when predominantly Box Hill based players get let go.
You’re getting grumpier each season
Did you see our year end injury list? I’m surprised Monkhurst wasn’t playing ruck for us.
Yeah that was certainly a factor.

You’re getting grumpier each season

Probably - but I’m more amused by the online histrionics about fringe players getting delisted than I am grumpy. It just doesn’t make sense.

From my point of view why delisted Saunders maybe they find someone younger hopefully Munkara.. Not fringe players as Sam want premiership

Literally took callow in the msd last year and he is already off the list. I’d be inclined to err on the side of skinny athletes in the rookie draft and see if you can teach them football. There has been a lot of guys who were less physically developed in under 18s that improve a lot in an afl environment. Breust and Clinton young are good hawthorn examples. But several talls and forwards and wingers have come from the rookie list too. Occasionally you get and inside mid but not often.

Love your posting mate but I'm not certain the above is quite right.

Only reason I know is I had a go at an "all time rookie listed 22" a few months ago was spoilt for choice for inside mids but was struggling to pick enough wingers and outside players.

Inside mid rookies include: Brad Sewell, Brett Kirk, Matthew Boyd, Matt Priddis, Rory Laird, Michael Barlow, Ryan Crowley, etc. Plenty of AA's and B&F's in that lot with a handy second tier (Kieren Jack, Mark Johnson, Nathan Foley, James McDonald, Matt de Boer, etc.)

Wingers (and outside players) were much more slim pickings, with the best being: Pearce Hanley, Heretier Lumumba, Danyle Pearce, Liam Picken, Clint Young, etc. Jack Sinclair is a quality hbf'er you could probably now add (but still not really the skinny winger type).

Got taken out again on Sunday in the SANFL. Not having a good run:

Saunders bump

Cant believe the bloke who bumped him got 6 weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back