Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

19 touches and a goal this week. His highest possessions tally comfortably. Seems to be really going from strength to strength. Anyone at the ground or know how if he was able to run out the game a bit better this week?

Feel if he can put together a couple of 4 quarter performances he will be in the team by the end of the year.

Feels crazy that out of last years draft he’s probably the one I’m most excited for. DGB will be a gun but Saunders is showing so much for only a rookie pick

19 touches and a goal this week. His highest possessions tally comfortably. Seems to be really going from strength to strength. Anyone at the ground or know how if he was able to run out the game a bit better this week?

Feel if he can put together a couple of 4 quarter performances he will be in the team by the end of the year.

Feels crazy that out of last years draft he’s probably the one I’m most excited for. DGB will be a gun but Saunders is showing so much for only a rookie pick
Can anyone liken his game to a current AFL player as I've not seen him (other than highlights)?

*Please

Actually he plays a lot like daniels who u will get a look at today. Saunders game and all round fitness getting better by the week. He actually had some influence in the second half.

Jack Saunders
"Saunders had a sharp learning curve when he first came to the club, but he was probably our greatest learner and he improved dramatically as the year went on. He's a small forward who loves to tackle - we call him Mighty Mouse because he just runs everywhere. He had great growth this year, we saw him in the wing at Box Hill at well. He had a great year in terms of learning in the VFL and we're really excited with what the future offers of Jack."

Jack Saunders
"Saunders had a sharp learning curve when he first came to the club, but he was probably our greatest learner and he improved dramatically as the year went on. He's a small forward who loves to tackle - we call him Mighty Mouse because he just runs everywhere. He had great growth this year, we saw him in the wing at Box Hill at well. He had a great year in terms of learning in the VFL and we're really excited with what the future offers of Jack."

Great to read. We desperately need another small forward for the future to join Moorey and Brockers. If he's it, with Kosi, Mitchy Lewis and Jeka, we have a great young potential front half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Saunders (16 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal)​

“Saundo continues to develop nicely on his progression playing as a high half forward and getting some wing minutes as well. He’s developing nicely for us and taking steps in the right direction. He used his left foot twice this week, which was really pleasing to see, we’ve been working on that pretty diligently for the past year really. So great to see that reward for effort.”

Jack Saunders (21 disposals, 2 goals, 7 marks)​

"Saundo had a personal best for the amount of touches he had as well. We know he's really fast with the ball in hand and we're asking for him to bring some of that speed defensively. On the weekend we saw that in his game and it was really impressive. It's going to be a really important element within his game to keep building on. That chase and tackle pressure as a really fast high half forward is really unique, so hopefully Saundo can keep building on that. He was able to get some reward on the scoreboard with two really good goals. It's great to see the young guys like Saundo developing in the back end of the season at a rapid rate."

I keep seeing people name Saunders as an almost concrete delisting at the end of this year in the list management thread but if you go back and read through the player reviews of every Box Hill game I don’t get that feeling at all.

I keep seeing people name Saunders as an almost concrete delisting at the end of this year in the list management thread but if you go back and read through the player reviews of every Box Hill game I don’t get that feeling at all.
I hope he isn't a delist but the VFL write ups this year have been pretty complimentary to all the players most weeks.

Since he started reckon Sammy has always liked him, sees something there which means a lot. Keep ticking the boxes Mighty Mouse!

Last edited:
You don’t throw away pace, great to be having list pressure across every part of the ground to

Last edited:

Yeah I think there is something there to work with!I really liked his last Box Hill game and on that performance probably should have been promoted ahead of Butler on both performances in that game?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Named on the extended bench this week.

Jack Saunders (2 goals, 16 disposals, 5 tackles)

"Saundo looked super dangerous in our forward half this week. His speed really troubled the opposition. Not only defensively to help out, but offensively to get forward. He had a few shots on goal, to get some scoreboard reward with two goals was great. He was very damaging for us. He’s been concentrating on his tackling and getting some more contests to lay more tackles - he finished with five which is the most he has laid as well. So he’s ticking off some of the goals he’s setting during games which is great to see."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back