Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I sense a trend in the players we have drafted this year that Clarko may be moving away from the very controlled, slow tempo style of football we have played the last 3 years to a more fast paced run and carry Richmond style where we smash it forward and keep it locked in our forward 50 with elite defensive pressure.

I may be reading too much into this but we seemed to have placed a emphasis on speed in most of our picks.

Even the way we seem to have really concentrated on stacking our backline with great contested marks (DGB) is to a certain extent based on Richmond gameplan.

I think it is smart because look at last year's GF. Geelong who are the experts at that slow, controlled methodical style of football couldn't maintain it over 4 quarters and were eventually (inevitably?) blown away.

The slow/precise way requires a lot of highly skilled players with amazing foot skills. We no longer have access to those cattle so the game plan has to change. GWS could maybe do it if they had the brains in the coaching box.

suburb whispers

Team Captain
Nov 15, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Runs like the wind blows.

Bit of a shorter Mitch Robinson about him in the way he moves..

Cyril_Grip

Debutant
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Western Warriors East Freo FC Juve
Bit of a shorter Mitch Robinson about him in the way he moves..

If he is half the mongrel Robinson is he will be more than handy!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
A couple of cms seems to make a big difference to the likelihood of being an elite clearance mid. it is 180cm+ or almost not at all.
View attachment 1026853

This is great data, thanks for sharing. I know he's from a different era but Shane Crawford was 1.74 so isn't even on the graph. I absolutely believe that he would have been a star in any era. Not comparing Jack to Shane, just saying that great players are missed with a focus on stats. Rookie is perfect way to find out how Jack develops.

Dutchy16

Debutant
Nov 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was really impressed with him in his first training session this morning. Has dyed the hair blondie so stands out a bit. Needs to fill out quite a bit, especially in the legs but has good muscle definition already. Seemed to pick up the drills quickly and his leg speed was noticeable. Did all of the training drills and then went with DGB and Brockman to do some running. Once the other two finished he did an additional 8-10 x 200m run throughs and looked great. Smooth moving and already has a good endurance base. A lot to like and work with.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is great data, thanks for sharing. I know he's from a different era but Shane Crawford was 1.74 so isn't even on the graph. I absolutely believe that he would have been a star in any era. Not comparing Jack to Shane, just saying that great players are missed with a focus on stats. Rookie is perfect way to find out how Jack develops.
Yeah taking someone like this in the rookie draft is a long shot at getting someone like Neale with far less of exposed form to support the decision. He may turn into a HFF and sit a little outside the contest. He has the speed for it.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cue the "run fast and force the ball forward at all costs" game plan !
Personal opinion but he would already be a better option then Scully playing the loose release off the half back wing position. Depth of kicking, line breaking and fitness he offers a lot of point of differences compared to some

Back