Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been super impressed with him the games I've watched at Box Hill. I expected an immobile stay at home forward but his work-rate is massive and he seems to be playing higher up to good effect. Takes big contested marks but the most pleasing thing is he's been really clean with his disposal and hitting teammates on chests. Easy Slips Catch mentioned he was unselfish and I agree wholeheartedly.

Does need to iron out his kicking because he has a tendency to miss very gettable shots. But I'd definitely be signing him up for 2022 and given he's showing these signs as a first year forward I'd be very excited for next year.

I've been super impressed with him the games I've watched at Box Hill. I expected an immobile stay at home forward but his work-rate is massive and he seems to be playing higher up to good effect. Takes big contested marks but the most pleasing thing is he's been really clean with his disposal and hitting teammates on chests. Easy Slips Catch mentioned he was unselfish and I agree wholeheartedly.

Does need to iron out his kicking because he has a tendency to miss very gettable shots. But I'd definitely be signing him up for 2022 and given he's showing these signs as a first year forward I'd be very excited for next year.

I will be very annoyed if the Hawks don't select him 2022. Losing him in the mid-season draft has pretty must cost my SANFL club Norwood any chance of a flag. If we just use him as a stocking filler and let him go at the end of the year it will seriously piss me off. What's the point of a midseason pick unless you're at least going to try him at AFL level?

In an interview he said he'd played FF, CHF and CHB but that he enjoyed CHF the most.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd love to see him at FB.
Actually it might have been FB not CHB that he'd played...the point was really more about the fact that he enjoyed CHF and that fits in with the other posters observations about how he played and wasn't just a stay at home limited big fella.

But yeah he could be the answer down back, I think it's still up for grabs with our 4 tall forwards as to how they develop first though.

Actually it might have been FB not CHB that he'd played...the point was really more about the fact that he enjoyed CHF and that fits in with the other posters observations about how he played and wasn't just a stay at home limited big fella.

But yeah he could be the answer down back, I think it's still up for grabs with our 4 tall forwards as to how they develop first though.

He was dominant as a key defender at Tasmanian level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just don't look at him running from behind, I get anxiety just watching his feet/legs flying about the way they do with that running style and the bowed knees.

Just don't look at him running from behind, I get anxiety just watching his feet/legs flying about the way they do with that running style and the bowed knees.

It likely has an impact on his goal kicking too. We need to teach him how to run again like we did Cyril. Might even get faster.

I think a lot of the numbers come down to the specific roles they play. Lewis, Jeka and Kosi sit under the long high ball a lot more TOB does who plays more of a Gunston role. Who would also lose less contests because of hkw

When TOB flies in for a contest he’s usually one of the last ones there with a clean run, much harder to get out marked than say Lewis whose job is to sit under that high ball, create a contest then try and mark it.

TOB has a greater fitness base than our other forwards. Due to more preseasons. But with his hands like butter he can’t play the Gunston role like he is and he doesn’t have the size to sit under the high ball like Lewis and Kosi can.

I’d like to see Jeka in the TOB role, as Jeka doesn’t have the strength to wrestle yet but is really good on a lead and a better field kick than TOB despite that being one of TOB’s strengths.
Agree with this, unfortunately TOB makes too many unforced errors for a player of his experience.

Agree with this, unfortunately TOB makes too many unforced errors for a player of his experience.
Having watched his marking since being shifted back to defence, he’s been marking it a lot more, as he doesn’t have body contact from a defender when he goes to mark it.

Once he gets that body contact though he drops it.

Compare that to Callow who doesn’t have the leap of O’Brien but doesn’t get moved from body contact so is able to take contested marks a lot easier

Having watched his marking since being shifted back to defence, he’s been marking it a lot more, as he doesn’t have body contact from a defender when he goes to mark it.

Once he gets that body contact though he drops it.

Compare that to Callow who doesn’t have the leap of O’Brien but doesn’t get moved from body contact so is able to take contested marks a lot easier

It's virtually a defined player-type now.

Look at every "intercept" defender who doesn't play FB/CHB. It's consistently the same story. ALL of them have great hands and vision - deceptively quick and a good leap. None of them are particularly strong body players.

Forwards need to be able to either absorb the body contact and keep their balance, or have incredible speed/endurance/agility to get the separation for uncontested marks (and/or draw free for later contact).

Forwards get taller and less mobile, defenders slighter and more mobile. It's 80's football flipped on it's head.

Jackson Callow
“Jackson also had a difficult preparation going down to Launceston as an emergency. He played some minutes higher up the ground and did some really nice things. His ability to get his hands free in the tackle was pleasing. He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.

Jackson Callow
“Jackson also had a difficult preparation going down to Launceston as an emergency. He played some minutes higher up the ground and did some really nice things. His ability to get his hands free in the tackle was pleasing. He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.

Exactly what we need! Big body, great hands, competitive and shows great effort.

yep there is a logjam at KPF and we all want Jeka to start getting games which doesn't bode well for Callow even getting a contract next year as a forward

as a big-bodied defender though, we have Hartigan, sometimes Frost (who also plays small occasionally) and... that's it

could be a good move for both the list and for Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back