Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson Callow
“Jackson also had a difficult preparation going down to Launceston as an emergency. He played some minutes higher up the ground and did some really nice things. His ability to get his hands free in the tackle was pleasing. He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.

From the limited footage we've seen of him and the reports that've come out of the club I'd say he deserves at least another year on the list, and if he can continue to grow and flourish in the backline we're going to be significantly closer to having all the pieces needed.

Jackson Callow
“Jackson also had a difficult preparation going down to Launceston as an emergency. He played some minutes higher up the ground and did some really nice things. His ability to get his hands free in the tackle was pleasing. He went back late in the game and showed something, maybe something to explore in the future.

Implies he'll get another contract?

From the limited footage we've seen of him and the reports that've come out of the club I'd say he deserves at least another year on the list, and if he can continue to grow and flourish in the backline we're going to be significantly closer to having all the pieces needed.

We've got nothing to lose in trying. A big strong KPD would be the right foil for DGB in the future.

Callow played as a key defender for his Tassie sides a fair amount in both his underage 18 year and his last year. He’s a competitive beast, super smart and has good straight line speed to be able to get his man on a lead. High balls he’s super good because one on one he’s not losing many he’s a human mountain and his hands are literal vice. Pretty good field kick and work rate is super high. Knightmare suggested he could be a Brian Lake type defender.

Callow played as a key defender for his Tassie sides a fair amount in both his underage 18 year and his last year. He’s a competitive beast, super smart and has good straight line speed to be able to get his man on a lead. High balls he’s super good because one on one he’s not losing many he’s a human mountain and his hands are literal vice. Pretty good field kick and work rate is super high. Knightmare suggested he could be a Brian Lake type defender.

I know we always overrate our own, but this description makes him sound like the second coming of Chris Langford. I read the clubs view as, "most likely will get another contract, unless a better opportunity presents in trade period"

Good summary. He's a keeper. :):thumbsu:

I know we always overrate our own, but this description makes him sound like the second coming of Chris Langford. I read the clubs view as, "most likely will get another contract, unless a better opportunity presents in trade period"
Well what I said about him translates forward. His contested marking is unreal shown at VFL TSL and SANFL level. One on one he’s hard to move and positions himself well. Sam describes him as a red zone runner with high workrate. His smarts are shown forward and back. His kicking in the field is good but his set shot kicking isn’t too good. Has good straight line speed but has had agility issues. Has trimmed down since pre season tho and looks improved there.

I suppose you haven't read any of his other player ratings? They are wildly optimistic to say the least.

The reality is that Callow may not even be on the list next season.

I suppose you haven't read any of his other player ratings? They are wildly optimistic to say the least.

The reality is that Callow may not even be on the list next season.
That’s not the reality. Sam likes him. Has shown good games as a forward and promising signs as a defender and as I said. Sam likes him.

That’s not the reality. Sam likes him. Has shown good games as a forward and promising signs as a defender and as I said. Sam likes him.

I don't doubt that Sammy wants him. I just question whether he's that good. He looks solid, and there's a bit to work with, but he's at least a season away from being able to hold his own regularly at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson Callow

Music to my ears...

I don't doubt that Sammy wants him. I just question whether he's that good. He looks solid, and there's a bit to work with, but he's at least a season away from being able to hold his own regularly at AFL level.
Nah you’re underrating how big this man is. He played Murray and McAsey who are adelaides second key defenders at SANFL level. Murray been playing lately at AFL level and Callow dominated them. Like he was getting double and triple teamed. I think he’s got the talent and has performed his role and done it really well. He had a game not long ago with 2.3 or something where he marked everything he is rarely beaten.

If Callow becomes an AFL level KPD it changes everything about this rebuild. I see the Brian Lake comparisons, similar traits.

If Callow becomes an AFL level KPD it changes everything about this rebuild. I see the Brian Lake comparisons, similar traits.
He’s someone who can be that and add more attacking within marking he has a really high work rate and his tank seems great.

You’re new to Dominic’s posting, I take it.

I've been really impressed for some time by his playing skills and the potential he offers. I would hope that he is retained for next year. We have a lot of very good players to fit into the backline next year, but we really need a young KPD to complete the backline. He is a very mobile player, who works really hard both on and off the field and it would allow us to concentrate on grabbing quality midfielders and a half forward in the top end of the draft.

Last edited:

Knightmare - a broken clock's still right twice a day. 🤞🤞🤞

Remove this Banner Ad

Back