Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand this new burst of chat on Callow’s agility. Is it all based on one test result or on observation? If it is a one test number, I seem to remember Cyril testing poorly on agility (… yes Cyril was likely foxing but the point stands). If it is based on observation, then I do not see what others do. While no twinkle-toes, Callow changes direction well enough. And I am guessing with his rig he will be difficult to tackle, especially if he develops (or has) a competent don’t-argue. As Dusty has shown, going through an opponent can be more effective for the team than going around him... especially around goal. Even if he gets tackled, he is likely to have the strength to get the ball away with a handball to a crumbing forward for an easy goal.

The boy is just 19. His strengths are obvious and rare in the AFL. For mine, Buckets gets a minimum 2 more years to develop and show his value before his relative weaknesses are even considered as limiting.

Testing numbers, and observation. Let's not pretend they were just slightly sub par testing numbers either, he was 1.1 seconds slower than the combine leader in a test that took him 9 seconds to complete. He's stepped around at training and on the field quite easily.

I think people need to cool their jets on Callow a little because from what I’ve seen at training the very real query is on whether he is quick enough on his feet to either make space for himself or to get around opponents.
He certainly has the tank, but he was found wanting a couple of times yesterday in the scrimmage when it came to making a decision and getting around a would be tackler, so let’s hope it’s something he can improve on.

I think people need to cool their jets on Callow a little because from what I’ve seen at training the very real query is on whether he is quick enough on his feet to either make space for himself or to get around opponents.
He certainly has the tank, but he was found wanting a couple of times yesterday in the scrimmage when it came to making a decision and getting around a would be tackler, so let’s hope it’s something he can improve on.
Reading the various reports and commentary reminds me a bit of Paul Dear, a big-bodied lad, who could take a grab but spent a lot of time in the reserves because of his lack of pace and agility (and also having some very handy players ahead of him). He eventually got the hang of things around the age of 23-24, to the extent of winning the NSM in 1991, when he demolished West Coast. It is a performance well worth watching. Speed and agility didn't come into it - just brute strength and the ability to read the ball and take a grab (he was just 188cm, but played at over 100kg).

Reading the various reports and commentary reminds me a bit of Paul Dear, a big-bodied lad, who could take a grab but spent a lot of time in the reserves because of his lack of pace and agility (and also having some very handy players ahead of him). He eventually got the hang of things around the age of 23-24, to the extent of winning the NSM in 1991, when he demolished West Coast. It is a performance well worth watching. Speed and agility didn't come into it - just brute strength and the ability to read the ball and take a grab (he was just 188cm, but played at over 100kg).
Very different era though…

I think we get behind him and hope for the best and admire his determination 👍

Over 750+ posts on a guy picked up in MSD and been at club for 6 months suggests a few may be disappointed when they actually seek him play footy.

Over 750+ posts on a guy picked up in MSD and been at club for 6 months suggests a few may be disappointed when they actually seek him play footy.
If and when I see him play, it will mean he has senior selection. That is way above expectations for MSD.

The only reason he generates such interest is that there is such uncertainty about our key position players at both ends. Furthermore, we have had a couple of other types, in Bramble and Newcombe, come from nowhere. Hope springs eternal but I reckon most of use see Callow as a long-shot.

If he makes it, it will be the greatest pre/mid season drafting of all time, however the fact that he is pushing hard to make it will also make kozi/Lewis and Jeka all work harder to, sounds like a quality unit to have at the club.

Doesn't help the hype train when ppl like Knightmare are saying he has lake/McGovern potential and he would take him with a ND round 1 selection.
Knightmare throws out these predictions every year, one or two weird extreme over or under estimations of draftees.

Knightmare throws out these predictions every year, one or two weird extreme over or under estimations of draftees.
More than one or two. KM is routinely wrong every year and I’m unable to explain why anyone would bother putting much weight on his views, let alone employ him to write about them. May be the result of dedication and desire, rather than actually skill at spotting talent.

I think if he's going to make it as a forward he will have to play a similar role to Darling. Strong hands, big tank, strong on the lead, big kicks, but turns like a freight train.

Not sure he can play as a third tall based on his attributes - but maybe we've been spoiled with having Gunston for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is my greatest fear with Callow making it. That Knightmare rates him so highly. The worst kiss of death you could.get.

More than one or two. KM is routinely wrong every year and I’m unable to explain why anyone would bother putting much weight on his views, let alone employ him to write about them. May be the result of dedication and desire, rather than actually skill at spotting talen

That is my greatest fear with Callow making it. That Knightmare rates him so highly. The worst kiss of death you could.get.
He throws so many darts he is bound to hit a bull's-eye every once in a while.

I hate his schtick but this year I rated his calls on Alleer and Sheldrick.

Testing numbers, and observation. Let's not pretend they were just slightly sub par testing numbers either, he was 1.1 seconds slower than the combine leader in a test that took him 9 seconds to complete. He's stepped around at training and on the field quite easily.
I tried to not reply … but I must state the obvious = 1.1 seconds slower than the combine leader is irrelevant. The combine leader, whomever that was, is not a Key Position Backman. I hope opposition teams put their most agile player on Callow… as he will kick 10. (Yes I am being facetious but hey, you started it 🤪 ).

That said, rogiebear93 I appreciate reading about your observations on Callow’s movement. If Callow is unable to shake Hartigan at least some of the time then his weakness will be an issue… unless he can outbody and outmark the huge man that is Kyle Hartigan, … or even tap to advantage, at which point his agility is irrelevant. As Beandip succinctly said, “When the ball is marked the play stops”.

Aside: I see a lot wrong with Callow’s combine numbers. His standing jumped was 61cm (OK) but his run and jump was just (r) 63 and (l) 64cm !! What the?… Come on… that is just wrong. Anyone who knows how to jump will swing their arms and use their horizontal speed to turn forward momentum into vertical height… the numbers must be wrong.… OR….

If Callow does not know how to run and jump, he can be taught .. in the space of a weekend! All biomechanics people out there can to back me up on this. It is fricken easy to teach and learn how to run and jump to get at least another 10cms. Meaning there is huge potential there for a 19year old to improve on.

Yes I am defending him. Why? …. because Callow may become a KPF with the best contested marking hands that we have seen at our club since Dunstall (he could surpass all of Hale, Rough, Holland and Barker in this one aspect). And I want to see contested marks in our forward line. These marks break opposition teams structures and win Grand Finals.

Last edited:
Yes I am defending him. Why? …. because Callow may become a KPF with the best contested marking hands that we have seen at our club since Dunstall (he could surpass all of Hale, Rough, Holland and Barker in this one aspect). And I want to see contested marks in our forward line. These marks break opposition teams structures and win Grand Finals.
Contested marking literally doesn't break structures open, otherwise they'd be uncontested marks in space.

And out of interest, when did a side last win a Grand Final off the back of a contested marking FF? Or off the back of a dominant FF in general?

The league's best struggle to take more than 2.5 contested marks a game. As your best attribute (or worse, part of the team's planning), that's pretty worrying unless your goal kicking is kick laser straight out to 50m. Realistically, that's an awful lot of forward thrusts that aren't marked.

Contested marking literally doesn't break structures open, otherwise they'd be uncontested marks in space.

And out of interest, when did a side last win a Grand Final off the back of a contested marking FF? Or off the back of a dominant FF in general?

The league's best struggle to take more than 2.5 contested marks a game. As your best attribute (or worse, part of the team's planning), that's pretty worrying unless your goal kicking is kick laser straight out to 50m. Realistically, that's an awful lot of forward thrusts that aren't marked.
I think you are wrong about contested marking and defensive structures. A strong contested marking forward draws a crowd of defenders which compromises the defence structure and creates asymmetrical contests. It is not just the marks the key forward takes, it is what he demands of the opposition to prevent marking.

You are right that key forwards do not usually win premierships. They need supply and this is where the games are usually won - which is why it is mostly mids who win the NSM. Since its inception in 1979, only two true KPFs have been awarded the NSM - Gary Ablett Snr in 1989 and Paul Dear in 1991. However, marking forwards can be important. Josh Kennedy was among the best in West Coast's 2018 premiership and Jack Riewoldt kicked six and was among the best in Richmond's 2019 demolition of GWS.

I think you are wrong about contested marking and defensive structures. A strong contested marking forward draws a crowd of defenders which compromises the defence structure and creates asymmetrical contests. It is not just the marks the key forward takes, it is what he demands of the opposition to prevent marking.

You are right that key forwards do not usually win premierships. They need supply and this is where the games are usually won - which is why it is mostly mids who win the NSM. Since its inception in 1979, only two true KPFs have been awarded the NSM - Gary Ablett Snr in 1989 and Paul Dear in 1991. However, marking forwards can be important. Josh Kennedy was among the best in West Coast's 2018 premiership and Jack Riewoldt kicked six and was among the best in Richmond's 2019 demolition of GWS.
Totally agree with this bit in a recent HFC context & with you on that, Alite. Geelong (Hawkins) & other clubs did this to us for years (pre & post-Lake). But then those same clubs couldn't do it against Richmond or other clubs that defended the transition well or had full-sized KPD. We've played the 'High Ball to FF' worse than any club that I've ever bothered to watch regularly so whilst it has historically impacted our defence, I'd argue that plenty of other clubs haven't been as systematically vulnerable.

In contrast to Kennedy's 2018 GF was the output of he + Darling in 2015 - their plan was totally ineffective.

Riewoldt took 3 contested marks in that game and josh Kennedy took 2 in 2018. Hardly a dominant display of contested marking. Pretty much every time a team shuts down Dixon port struggle to score. Kpf that contribute in multiple ways are far more valuable. Hence, the hesitancy with many to buy into the potential of callow as a kpf when his best asset isn’t going to allow him to dominate games as much as being able to throw off opponents with mobility and take uncontested marks.

If Mitchell's in the business of focusing on people's strengths then he'll have a lot to work with. If he's an elite contested mark and a good runner with good skills surely there would a be a role in the team for him. It might be slightly different than one for Lewis, Kossy, or Jeka but there's certainly a world where he could be a very valuable player down the track. If not, then it'll be great watching him develop to whatever his level is.

Last edited:
Riewoldt took 3 contested marks in that game and josh Kennedy took 2 in 2018. Hardly a dominant display of contested marking. Pretty much every time a team shuts down Dixon port struggle to score. Kpf that contribute in multiple ways are far more valuable. Hence, the hesitancy with many to buy into the potential of callow as a kpf when his best asset isn’t going to allow him to dominate games as much as being able to throw off opponents with mobility and take uncontested marks.
I completely agree. Callow will need to develop additional tricks to succeed. Levi Casboult is one of the best contested marks in the game but struggles to have an impact. Contested marking is a genuine weapon and it can unsettle defences but it is not sufficient in itself.

Also important to note that GWS decided to play a crippled key defender and were defeated that entire game, Riewoldt's 6 goals weren't the difference. About as effectual as Roughy's 5 goals in 2014. No one would have had him anywhere near the Norm Smith. Those guys are also two of the best examples of the non-traditional key forwards that you're talking about, guys who contribute in multiple ways.

Roughy and Riewoldt are both elite at ground level, and Riewoldt really started impacting games and not just kicking goals himself when he took a leaf out of the Roughy book and used marking contests as an opportunity to intentionally direct the ball down to crumbing players.

I completely agree. Callow will need to develop additional tricks to succeed. Levi Casboult is one of the best contested marks in the game but struggles to have an impact. Contested marking is a genuine weapon and it can unsettle defences but it is not sufficient in itself.
If you want an example of where contested marking definitely made a difference, the best and most recent example is Mason Cox in the 2018 prelim. One of the pillars of Richmond's game plan is to force a shallow kick inside 50, get the ball to ground and rebound quickly through handball - Cox marking absolutely everything inside 50 robbed them of any momentum.

Unfortunately Cox is also an example of how much that can impact a team the opposite way when a big forward who relies on marking the ball is taken out of the game, or is playing poorly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back