Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Is it my imagination, or are there some people on this thread actually hoping that Callow may not be as good as those who have actually seen him play rate him? I've watched Callow all season at Norwood and he is very impressive indeed, and I am surprised to see people questioning his agility. He is very good in the contested mark department and will be very handy for the Hawks, be it in the forward line or defence. Just needs some time to adjust to the extra pace of AFL.

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is it my imagination, or are there some people on this thread actually hoping that Callow may not be as good as those who have actually seen him play rate him? I've watched Callow all season at Norwood and he is very impressive indeed, and I am surprised to see people questioning his agility. He is very good in the contested mark department and will be very handy for the Hawks, be it in the forward line or defence. Just needs some time to adjust to the extra pace of AFL.
I am hopeful for a hartigan type defender at AFL level or like an alipate Carlisle type. Big, strong but limited. There is rating and then there is putting pick 17 in the msd in the same sentence as mcgovern or lake. Maybe it will happen but on available evidence there is a bit too much mayo for my liking. Free hit and happy we took him. His interviews shows he is a good kid too. We are slowly getting a bit more country tough

There are people on this board who are actively barracking against players who've been on the list for 6+ years. Doesn't surprise me that there would be some laying into a player yet to even pull on the jumper.

Flamin Joe

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg, Norwood
Also begs the question why they do the testing on hard courts with runners on. Why not do it on grass with footy boots which are the conditions they will be playing under? They've literally gone and put temporary hard court surfaces on top of the perfectly good playing surface.

I guess they want to make tests more comparable from year to year (if surface conditions change in a tangible way) and/or between those who test at the main draft combine vs the interstate ones. But I still think doing it all on a footy surface in footy boots would ultimately be more valuable.

It's all sports science these days. While you would think it would make sense to have these tests on the actual playing surface it's not about specifically testing their abilities on an AFL football field. You want that go watch them play.

These are standardised tests used across a wide variety of sports which are designed to test the individual athletes physical abilities which can help in assessing what they can do in their chosen sport.

Linda CRS

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I watched him earlier in the year and one stark difference since his training at Waverley then is his body shape. He’s certainly lost weight and that might have really increased his agility and 2nd efforts. His Norwood highlights package says as much.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes - it's pathetic isn't it !!

Regardless of where he plays, or indeed if he even plays, we needed more options with-in our developing spine, so it's the right direction no matter what, therefore people should be jumping for joy, rather then being killjoys trying to be right 1st.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yes - it's pathetic isn't it !!

Regardless of where he plays, or indeed if he even plays, we needed more options with-in our developing spine, so it's the right direction no matter what, therefore people should be jumping for joy, rather then being killjoys trying to be right 1st.

As a kid growing up supporting the Hawks you found like minded people supporting them too, and that makes sense. In modern times some of our supporters are on board because we were so successful. I really wonder if they will stay around or go support the next successful team. Not directed at anyone on here, more of a comment based on what I see at games.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Think more it’s people reacting to possibly overblown expectations for a guy picked at 17 in the MSD. Our own club didn’t rate him that highly as passed on him in ssp and with our first msd pick and every other club had a chance and passed in first round of msd after seeing the same sanfl games some here have watched.

Am sure everyone hopes he makes it, but to think he’s not more than a long shot to make it as a afl kpp is pretty unrealistic stuff.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People continually mistake less optimistic opinions on a player’s ability / potential as “wanting the player to fail.” Everyone here is a hawks fan, people can disagree on the potential of players.

I am in the camp of thinking Callow is a good pick up in the MSD because he has actual weapons and I do think unathletic talls get underrated by recruiters. I’d say he’s a better than usual chance of making it for such a speculative pick.

But those who don’t rate him don’t want him to fail. That’s a nonsense take. There are obviously reasons 18 recruiters overlooked him, the question is whether they all got it wrong. Here’s hoping they did.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If kid isn't in the side regularly within two month of joining the club
Then kid might never make it and expectations need to be set incredibly low

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It's all sports science these days. While you would think it would make sense to have these tests on the actual playing surface it's not about specifically testing their abilities on an AFL football field. You want that go watch them play.

These are standardised tests used across a wide variety of sports which are designed to test the individual athletes physical abilities which can help in assessing what they can do in their chosen sport.
The NFL (combine) does it on synthetic grass (I think might be natural as well) in a stadium.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Admit his agility was definitely below average based on testing results. He tested slower for agility than McAsey (9s v 8.6s) who is comparable, McAsey tested woefully slow for acceleration over 20m though (3.08 vs 3.3).

Thankfully he also tested better for other explosive traits such as leap than McAsey who I really didn't like as a first round pick back in his draft year. There's a highlight in the SANFL where he's leading McAsey to the ball and they both start sprinting to the drop, where Callow very quickly put a few metres on him before taking a chest mark on the lead.

View attachment 1145845

View attachment 1145847

Hard to see the distance he put on McAsey there.

You have to factor in the fact he's already ahead of him (based on the angle in the first picture), and given that he's instigating the movement he will always have the first step or two on McAsey before he reacts.

That last part will be the concern for Callow if he's playing FB. Forwards will always initiate the movement/lead and the defender has to react - they are behind literally and also in the sense that they are reacting to what the forwards do. You need closing speed or the kicks have to be pressured up the field.

That last part will be the concern for Callow if he's playing FB. Forwards will always initiate the movement/lead and the defender has to react - they are behind literally and also in the sense that they are reacting to what the forwards do. You need closing speed or the kicks have to be pressured up the field.
That's the key thing, there.

There is a place for the defender who isn't necessarily able to tack the leading foward on a great lead honoured by a pass from midfield. For example, any defender playing against Hawthorn at the moment doesn't need this specific quality, because we generally haven't got predictable, unpressured delivery to our forwards. The people who are reading where the pressured ball might fall e.g Gawn, a few others we have played, are having a field day against us

If the midfield can get the opposition to bomb it to a contest/pack, under pressure, someone like Callow has a place as a defender.

Frost is someone better utilised with a fast, leading forward. Wheras Callow's abilities and physique lend themselves to the contested mark.

But it depends on whole-team-pressure, all over the field.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a kid growing up supporting the Hawks you found like minded people supporting them too, and that makes sense. In modern times some of our supporters are on board because we were so successful. I really wonder if they will stay around or go support the next successful team. Not directed at anyone on here, more of a comment based on what I see at games.
I'd say 99% stick and the few who may drop off it's because life got in the road - it's just social media gives people an immediate out for their emotions, instead of thinking about it first - we all do it - but it does seem to be a social media thing on who can see how useless a player is first (not to mention the pile on when a player like Patton makes very poor decisions) rather then look at what they may bring - again we can all do it - but when called out on it just let it go and/or back yourself up just a bit, easier said then done right?

Also never know what's going on in a persons life when they are posting or yelling at players at the ground..........sometimes better they vent on here or at the ground then home..................
Think more it’s people reacting to possibly overblown expectations for a guy picked at 17 in the MSD. Our own club didn’t rate him that highly as passed on him in ssp and with our first msd pick and every other club had a chance and passed in first round of msd after seeing the same sanfl games some here have watched.

Am sure everyone hopes he makes it, but to think he’s not more than a long shot to make it as a afl kpp is pretty unrealistic stuff.
I think if you read what AH is saying is that someone is trying too pooh pooh the guy based on a meaningless stats about the blokes agility V what his eyes tell him. Not sure of AH age but I'm guessing he believes what his eyes tell him and throws the stats sheet in the bin. Don't mean to put words in your mouth AH.

On top of this people are viewing it from the negative, like you say because he was overlooked and only picked up in a msd at pick 55000 etc etc it doesn't really matter - it was a free hit etc etc - it's a totally negative mindset while trying to appear balanced by saying "oh but I hope he makes it".

Instead look at from the clubs view point ; we as a club had a look but couldn't grab him then, so we maybe sent him to where we have a little "boys" network (listen to the interview posted earlier in this thread where they basically let slip he'll be a Hawk) because we saw enough and wanted him around some of the "new" Hawk boys network - if you look at it like this his position in the draft is totally meaningless because the club saw something and then placed him where they could keep a real close eye on him.

Also a very simple question to ask is does his addition help balance out the list? Answer is a resounding yes, regardless of what happens.

Look at all this first by zooming out and having a real good look at the reasons we choose him, then maybe pick up a stats sheet to try and pooh pooh the guy by saying what is the case for every player drafted - that not one of them is perfect.

Or look at it with the comedy that the Pies fans wanted the guy because they know the state of their list - but our previous list manager overlooked him - for me that's a tick in and of itself, that Wright said no.

Last edited:

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Disagree... it’s because the test are run by high school teachers.

The kicking test is performed on an oval, no reason why they couldn’t put two and two together and make them practical to the sport they are testing for.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Facts are a good forward with good delivery will always beat a good defender one on one.

To have another big bloke on the list who may be able to play either end is brilliant - shove ya stat sheets - stats may say where we got beat afterwards, but they don't say anything about heart, aggressiveness, body usage, footy IQ, and just plain fickoffedness you're in my road.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say 99% stick and the few who may drop off it's because life got in the road - it's just social media gives people an immediate out for their emotions, instead of thinking about it first - we all do it - but it does seem to be a social media thing on who can see how useless a player is first (not to mention the pile on when a player like Patton makes very poor decisions) rather then look at what they may bring - again we can all do it - but when called out on it just let it go and/or back yourself up just a bit, easier said then done right?

Also never know what's going on in a persons life when they are posting or yelling at players at the ground..........sometimes better they vent on here or at the ground then home..................

I think if you read what AH is saying is that someone is trying too pooh pooh the guy based on a meaningless stats about the blokes agility V what his eyes tell him. Not sure of AH age but I'm guessing he believes what his eyes tell him and throws the stats sheet in the bin. Don't mean to put words in your mouth AH.

On top of this people are viewing it from the negative, like you say because he was overlooked and only picked up in a msd at pick 55000 etc etc it doesn't really matter - it was a free hit etc etc - it's a totally negative mindset while trying to appear balanced by saying "oh but I hope he makes it".

Instead look at from the clubs view point ; we as a club had a look but couldn't grab him then, so we maybe sent him to where we have a little "boys" network (listen to the interview posted earlier in this thread where they basically let slip he'll be a Hawk) because we saw enough and wanted him around some of the "new" Hawk boys network - if you look at it like this his position in the draft is totally meaningless because the club saw something and then placed him where they could keep a real close eye on him.

Also a very simple question to ask is does his addition help balance out the list? Answer is a resounding yes, regardless of what happens.

Look at all this first by zooming out and having a real good look at the reasons we choose him, then maybe pick up a stats sheet to try and pooh pooh the guy by saying what is the case for every player drafted - that not one of them is perfect.

Or look at it with the comedy that the Pies fans wanted the guy because they know the state of their list - but our previous list manager overlooked him - for me that's a tick in and of itself, that Wright said no.
yeh nah

No more we just don’t want to believe that it could be a big win for us (burnt by tob, Patton etc)

Back