Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm rapt with this choice but can't understand some of the negativity on here based on some testing results.

He is an 18 y.o. KP player who has already changed his body shape since trialing with Hawthorn pre-season. The way he moves looks very similar to Tom Hawkins, Tex Walker and Jarryd Roughead at the same age and I don't know what their agility test results were but if he ends up half as good then he is a bargain.

If he was a midfielder or even the third tall forward option then speed and agility could be taken into account. What he shows is natural football talent with an ability to read the play, which can give you half a second on your opponent...something that won't show up when running around witches hats or poles on a basketball court.

Emerson Jeka had similar expectations and then slid from a Top 30 prospect to end up being a pre-season pick up, but when seeing him play for Box Hill he shows a natural ability as a footballer.

I'm going to enjoy watching these two play and develop over the next few years and also DGB when he gets back. 3 marking talls.

As we are rebuilding, these are the types of players you want to do it around.

What he shows is natural football talent with an ability to read the play, which can give you half a second on your opponent
I just wanted to repost this bit. I remember the club saying quite a few years back that it was easier to get a natural footballer fit & firing than it was to teach an athlete football.

FWIW I have my doubts about the validity of the agility test. It seems to me a little bit of resin on a players shoes could save half a second. Conversly having slippery shoes could loose a player half a second. I wonder if the testers check the players shoes.

Watch him slip on the floor...

I’ve never understood why they test agility and sprints on a hardwood floor. To the best of my knowledge… AFL is played on grass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dunstall was in this draft he'd be criticised for lacking versatility and having no tank.

Callow has the special quality for a KPP of being able to protect his space - his opponent has to push him off the best position - good luck!
He definitely has a good shot at becoming a player if he can read the play and the flight of the ball to use his strength to his advantage.
Quite similar to Hawkins - not fast or agile, but protects his space with strength and size. At least Callow can play in defence as well, so we've got two shots at making him a player.

"Just don't shoot the fat one!" ;)

Callow does everything you could ask of a key forward. He attacks the ball aerially and on the lead. He's an expert one-on-one who uses his body as well as anyone outside the AFL, shows genuine football smarts, reads the drop of the ball, watches the ball in flight until he swallows up marks, and uses his long reach and big hands to advantage. There is a genuine fear from rival defenders matching up against Callow when isolated one-on-one, which sees him draw free kicks. When Callow is not in position to mark, he crashes packs and brings the ball to ground. His field kicking and vision are both excellent.
There is a Brian Lake vibe to Callow's game as someone who isn't the most athletic or agile but is so special one-on-one that he turns a one-on-one contest routinely into a mark. With his combination of attributes, while Callow looks great as a key forward, he's every bit as appealing as a key defender and could become a future star in defence if life as a forward doesn't work out for him.

Callow does everything you could ask of a key forward. He attacks the ball aerially and on the lead. He's an expert one-on-one who uses his body as well as anyone outside the AFL, shows genuine football smarts, reads the drop of the ball, watches the ball in flight until he swallows up marks, and uses his long reach and big hands to advantage. There is a genuine fear from rival defenders matching up against Callow when isolated one-on-one, which sees him draw free kicks. When Callow is not in position to mark, he crashes packs and brings the ball to ground. His field kicking and vision are both excellent.
There is a Brian Lake vibe to Callow's game as someone who isn't the most athletic or agile but is so special one-on-one that he turns a one-on-one contest routinely into a mark. With his combination of attributes, while Callow looks great as a key forward, he's every bit as appealing as a key defender and could become a future star in defence if life as a forward doesn't work out for him.

I'm just happy he uses his body well in the marking contest - following the number of talls that we have brought in recently that can't seem to work that part of the game out (like Lewis, TOB, Brand, Nash)

The `AFL Draft Expert' (also known as knightmare) rates Callow as the number 1 pick mid-season, as being a legitimate top 20 pick in the 2020 National draft, and being a top 20 pick if he had fallen to the 2021 National draft. He predicts a high chance of Callow being a Lake/McGovern type defender, if the switch from F50 is required. (I rate Knightmare as a sounding board).

Really like this pick. We have drafted far too many players that are in-betweeners, half back flankers or centre square mids with skill or pace issues.

We now have four young blokes (i.e. Callow, Kosi, Lewis and Jeka) on our list who could be key forwards and Reeves who will no doubt play ruck/forward. More than enough and hopefully two to three make it and maybe one becomes a key defender. Unless we get a gem in the draft i.e. pick 2 lands us the next version of the King boys, etc, then we now have three positions met, small defenders, medium defenders and key forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back