Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

OP ruined Thorp's career. Point blank.
Thought it was a bit to do with attitude also. Seems to have turned things around in Tassie.

Wasn't the brightest spark too. One story that sticks with me is when he went to dinner with some of the older blokes at Rare Steakhouse. The waiter came to take orders and all the boys one-by-one were ordering their steaks "medium steak please". When it got to Thorp, he wanted to show the guys how big of a man he was and says "you blokes are soft ordering a medium, i'll take a large steak thanks!!".

Thought it was a bit to do with attitude also. Seems to have turned things around in Tassie.

Wasn't the brightest spark too. One story that sticks with me is when he went to dinner with some of the older blokes at Rare Steakhouse. The waiter came to take orders and all the boys one-by-one were ordering their steaks "medium steak please". When it got to Thorp, he wanted to show the guys how big of a man he was and says "you blokes are soft ordering a medium, i'll take a large steak thanks!!".

Yep, infamously asked Birchall once in the club rooms - “what number did you get drafted at ? “ or similar

Fair to say that he didn’t endear himself to his team mates when he arrived at the club

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full PS under Sam and co. Is it just me, or do he and Jeka resemble Lloyd and Carey respectively?

Clearly both unlikely to be as good as those guys but keep seeing the similarities every time I watch their footage.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I believe it was his first or second game for BH when somebody tackled Saunders hard after he disposed of the ball. Callow immediately went straight to the player and basically rag-dolled him. Love it when players show that aggression and stick up for their teammates and it's something our current side is sorely lacking.

I believe it was his first or second game for BH when somebody tackled Saunders hard after he disposed of the ball. Callow immediately went straight to the player and basically rag-dolled him. Love it when players show that aggression and stick up for their teammates and it's something our current side is sorely lacking.

I enjoy his interviews...he's a bit of a dude.

Hopefully he comes in and thumps anyone that roughs up our little blokes.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was reading back through this thread and just realised that I'd gone full Nostradamus.

Strapping Young Lad - are you going to defend these baseless accusations? ;)

(You had me genuinely confused for a moment there TD - amazing how quickly Osteitis Pubis slipped away from the injury lexicon).
:think: :think: :think: :think:

🤣

I had to think about that one...well played, Simon

Nope
Poor attitude, application and professionalism ruined his AFL career
When he grew up a bit had a pretty good career albeit at a lower level
Google his younger brother Cody for a hint at the higher cognitive abilities of the Thorps
Tyler knows.

The six goals means absolutely nothing, he did it once and achieved absolutely zero in every other VFL/AFL game he ever played. His attitude left little to be desired as well. Matt Little kicked multiple goals in the VFL as well but couldn’t cut it at AFL level

As I said, Callow currently tracking well ahead of Thorp and Dowler in both attitude and form without yet playing an AFL game

ps my other boy Dylan Moore was the last player offered a contract last year and he had a pretty good year this year despite his late draft selection …
So a guy who kicked 6 on an AFL listed defender and who actually played AFL games didn’t do as much as a guy who’s never kicked more than 2 goals at VFL level and hasn’t debuted.

Callow is is not tracking head of Thorp or Dowler.

So a guy who kicked 6 on an AFL listed defender and who actually played AFL games didn’t do as much as a guy who’s never kicked more than 2 goals at VFL level and hasn’t debuted.

Callow is is not tracking head of Thorp or Dowler.
Yet……… 😉

Thorp was the biggest disappointment from the " could be anything" brigade that most clubs have slip the streams of time!!
Could ' legit' play the game and had abundance of skill set but never really got going. Other than the poor attitude and OP he also had a bad foot injury that hindered his agility.
Btw, didn't Dowler smack 7 goals in his last 2 games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thorp was the biggest disappointment from the " could be anything" brigade that most clubs have slip the streams of time!!
Could ' legit' play the game and had abundance of skill set but never really got going. Other than the poor attitude and OP he also had a bad foot injury that hindered his agility.
Btw, didn't Dowler smack 7 goals in his last 2 games?
I reckon Thorp knew his body was cooked early doors, which explained a lot of his poor behaviour. He chucked the towel in.

Dowler, we recruited in a wheel chair. Horrendous decision. He lost all confidence after the accident and never recovered mentally.

2 absolutely busted early picks.

Ellis at 3 wasn't great either. Had a good 08 GF, but his body was never cut out for it from day one. Another one who knew it early on.
Also didn't help that he was a s**t trainer, struggled to put on the bulk required, and took it all as a bit of a laugh. Much like he does now.

I reckon Thorp knew his body was cooked early doors, which explained a lot of his poor behaviour. He chucked the towel in.

Dowler, we recruited in a wheel chair. Horrendous decision. He lost all confidence after the accident and never recovered mentally.

2 absolutely busted early picks.

Ellis at 3 wasn't great either. Had a good 08 GF, but his body was never cut out for it from day one. Another one who knew it early on.
Also didn't help that he was a sh*t trainer, struggled to put on the bulk required, and took it all as a bit of a laugh. Much like he does now.
2005 Mitch Thorp misses North Launceston game with ankle injury
Decides to have a kick with his mates at half time
That's how you recover from soft tissue injuries

Thorp was the youngest person in history to captain coach a Tassie side to the premiership. Can’t imagine he could do that with a bad attitude. Had two further goes at being an afl player but I don’t think anyone trusted his body. A real shame.
I think when we cut him he trained with the Dees and they didnt take him
Then Tassie then SA

I think when we cut him he trained with the Dees and they didnt take him
Then Tassie then SA
He rang Dean Bailey from Crown one night during the preseason as he’d gotten into a bit of trouble. Bailey had him cut that night.

Thorp was the youngest person in history to captain coach a Tassie side to the premiership. Can’t imagine he could do that with a bad attitude. Had two further goes at being an afl player but I don’t think anyone trusted his body. A real shame.
Ah Wikipedia
2013 TSL was a basket case
Three of the 10 clubs left the league after the season
A fourth was so far in debt that they were virtually an under age side
The Souih Launceston team was basically a team that had come through under age ranks together winning most years
They stayed together for one premiership at senior level after the addition of a few senior bodies and easily the most talented player on the state Mitch Thorp the player was way more important than Mitch Thorp coach

Listen to Thorp speak at his Nth Launceston, he will tell you he had a bad attitude and has grown up a lot since then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-013410_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-013410_Samsung Internet.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
For Shits-and-Giggles I counted the number of times Callow clunked or juggled a mark in his highlights package and compared that to highlights of Ben McEvoy (StKilda days) And Jamara Ugle-Hagan (No 1 pick) The results were: Callow 23 clunks, 2 juggles, and 1 drop and recover. McEvoy: 12 clunks, 2 juggles.… JUH 17 clunks, 3 juggles and 1 drop and recover. Watching the video it is clear that all three of these guys have Elite hands.

This analysis is statistically irrelevant to the point of being comical. And that is what made it fun.

But it is clear to me that Jackson Callow is an elite (a word over-used) mark. JUH also looks bloody good as does Thilthorpe (numbers not shown but excellent).

For mine the middle of the oval, and the moving of the ball, is about systems, but the ends are about elite talent.
A quote that fits: “What sets you apart can sometimes feel like a burden and it's not. And a lot of the time, it's what makes you great.”

I am very happy we have an end-of-ground unique player on our list. Callow is the sort of guy, with his aggression and elite marking, that wins finals.

I hope Callow is instructed to, once or twice a game in the VFL, go into the centre bounce and line up a person for a LEGAL hard tackle. The fear he could produce… would allow us to waltz the ball out of the centre.

Callow is the sort of player that will help us win a premiership. The areas in which he is lacking are near irrelevant compared to the value that he brings.

Last edited:
For Shits-and-Giggles I counted the number of times Callow clunked or juggled a mark in his highlights package and compared that to highlights of Ben McEvoy (StKilda days) And Jakarta Ugle-Hagan (No 1 pick) The results were: Callow 23 clunks, 2 juggles, and 1 drop and recover. McEvoy: 12 clunks, 2 juggles.… JUH 17 clunks, 3 juggles and 1 drop and recover. Watching the video it is clear that all three of these guys have Elite hands.

This analysis is statistically irrelevant to the point of being comical. And that is what made it fun.

But it is clear to me that Jackson Callow is an elite (a word over-used) mark. JUH also looks bloody good as does Thilthorpe (numbers not shown but excellent).

For mine the middle of the oval, and the moving of the ball, is about systems, but the ends are about elite talent.
A quote that fits: “What sets you apart can sometimes feel like a burden and it's not. And a lot of the time, it's what makes you great.”

I am very happy we have an end-of-ground unique player on our list. Callow is the sort of guy, with his aggression and elite marking, that wins finals.

I hope Callow is instructed to, once or twice a game in the VFL, go into the centre bounce and line up a person for a LEGAL hard tackle. The fear he could produce… would allow us to waltz the ball out of the centre.

Callow is the sort of player that will help us win a premiership. The areas in which he is lacking are near irrelevant compared to the value that he brings.

Sounds like you did this for clunks and juggles, not shits and giggles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back