Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson Ross, Pick #71 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a pretty good punt as a project player - has the athletic qualities, onviously good hand-eye coordination etc and appears dedicated and coach able.

In Ross and Moore we have hopefully picked up two long-term wingman. Both have the right athletic qualities and good skills.

With the addition of impey have improved our outside run.

It's funny, I do at-home call centre work, I just talked to Jackson's Dad, Brad. Seemed like a really nice bloke. All I could think to say in the spur of the moment was "tell him 'welcome to flagtown'." Cheese......
I hope you pronounced it right, we don't want his dad thinking he's been sent to flog town. He'd be driving the wrong way to watch his kid train, thinking he had to head towards Corio.

I hope you pronounced it right, we don't want his dad thinking he's been sent to flog town. He'd be driving the wrong way to watch his kid train, thinking he had to head towards Corio.

Everyone keep an eye on the geelong and essendon boards in case he accidentally shows up there.

It's funny, I do at-home call centre work, I just talked to Jackson's Dad, Brad. Seemed like a really nice bloke. All I could think to say in the spur of the moment was "tell him 'welcome to flagtown'." Cheese......

That's pretty cool !!

Love this article where our talent get lots of mentions...

Jackson Ross continues to push AFL draft claims after impressive showing for Eastern Ranges in TAC Cup
Toby Prime, Lilydale & Yarra Valley Leader
August 21, 2017 2:30pm
FORMER top tennis prospect turned footballer Jackson Ross continued to push his draft claims on Saturday with a five-goal performance to help Eastern Ranges to its fifth consecutive win.

In his first TAC Cup game since July, Ross put in a best-afield performance to help Ranges to a 19.8 (122) to 9.13 (67) win over Calder Cannons.

Ross’ haul in front of goals was the second time he has finished with a bag this season after he booted five majors against Greater Western Victoria in Round 12.

In his past four TAC Cup games, Ross, 18, has averaged 24 disposals a game, developing his versatility up forward, on the wings and down back.

1150df7e47aa7ba92955a040fce2afdb

Jackson Ross was a former Australian top-10 tennis junior. Picture: Chris Eastman
Eastern Ranges talent manager Len Villani said Ross had used the disappointment of missing out on Vic Metro selection to drive the second half of his season.

“He didn’t lose faith (and) if he kept chipping away and performing that sooner or later people would have to take notice,” Villani said.

“He is a blank canvas, still very raw physically and in terms of his football experience having come from the tennis background.”

Villani said Ross was “creating some interest” from AFL clubs.

“Guys like this at this time of year, they bob up and they stand up and stake a claim and that is what he is doing,” he said.

Prodigious talent Jaidyn Stephenson continued his pleasing month of form to also be among Ranges’ best players. Stephenson has averaged 27 touches from his past four games, remaining in the frame to be the No. 1 draft pick.

“He is finishing off the year really strongly and anywhere between one to 10 at the moment, it is up in the air at the moment,” Villani said.

Dylan Moore (30 and two goals)
, Tom North (23) and Trent Mynott (22) combined for 75 possessions to control the midfield battle.

Rebounding defender Ryley Stoddart also continues to get “wound in a little bit in terms of draft prospects”, showing his skills up forward with a couple of majors.

Ranges took a 19-point lead to halftime but kicked away in the third term with seven goals to two to push the advantage out to 48 points by the final change.

91eb4010d7c8b0be886e5a0f1753ce3e

Tom North was one of Eastern Ranges’ leading possession winners. Picture: David Crosling
A four-goal final quarter helped Ranges to a 55-point win, improving its standing on the ladder to 9-7 ahead of their next fixture against Geelong Falcons at Deakin University.

Ranges blooded yet another debutant on the weekend, handing talented prospect Todd Garner, younger brother of skipper Joel, his first game.

Garner, who is draft eligible in 2019, is a member of Hawthorn’s Next Generation Academy.

The 16-year-old Wandin product was a member of the Vic Metro under-16 squad this year and finished with a goal in his maiden TAC Cup appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kicked 5 goals on the weekend. But I was wondering, which leg does he kick with, his whole leg or the stump?View attachment 651683

maybe thats why he is still at 79kg, he's missing half a leg

well once he gets closer to 85kg then i reckon he will be close to a debut, at 193cm 74kg he was behind the 8-ball in terms of physical development when drafted.

maybe thats why he is still at 79kg, he's missing half a leg

well once he gets closer to 85kg then i reckon he will be close to a debut, at 193cm 74kg he was behind the 8-ball in terms of physical development when drafted.
Watched the Boxhill game the other night. Bloke is deadly in front of the stick as you posted very light. Plus TV is supposed to put few pounds on!

He strikes me as a wily, intelligent hard-working and athletic type in the mould of Breust and Gunston.
5 goals is a quite a feat for a non-KPF who is still physically raw.

Worst rig i've ever seen on a footballer.

But still has a bit of x-factor and I like him

There are some genuinely good AFL players with weird rigs.

Jeremy McGovern looks like a bloke dragged off the street and put in a footy jumper. Jarrad Waite had love handles bigger than me. Lindsay Thomas' head was roughly 50% of his total mass.

There are some genuinely good AFL players with weird rigs.

Jeremy McGovern looks like a bloke dragged off the street and put in a footy jumper. Jarrad Waite had love handles bigger than me. Lindsay Thomas' head was roughly 50% of his total mass.

McGovern's the one that always gets me. Genuinely looks like he just walked out of the pub.

Kade Simpson is another one - looks better suited to cycling in the Tour de France than AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back