Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson Ross, Pick #71 2017

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He has the kind of face would strike fear through the hearts of defenders.... sorta (if you squint and then quickly sneak a peak at Barry Hall).

upload_2017-11-24_22-20-40.png

Plenty to work with here. Clearly a long term project at 75kgs.

Jackson ROSS
(info from AFL draft central)
Outside Midfielder/Medium Forward (Haileybury College/Eastern Ranges)
22/06/1999 (18yrs, 5months) | 192.5cm | 74.5kg
Scouting notes: Booted 29 goals playing as a centre half forward and on the wing for Haileybury College in the APS school competition. Comes from an elite tennis background and is still quite raw in football terms. Has a long kick and is able to use it on either side of his body. Very athletic and is a player with plenty of development left.
Strengths: Upside, mobility/versatile, kicking, scoreboard impact
Improvements: Consistency, tackling, reading the game
Combine test results: 20m Sprint (secs) 3.09 | Agility (secs) 8.46 | Yo-Yo Test (level) 20.8
Gunston (who is still listed as only 86Kg) springs to mind - similar size, athletic, good kick for goal. Something to work with.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
He has the kind of face would strike fear through the hearts of defenders.... sorta (if you squint and then quickly sneak a peak at Barry Hall).

View attachment 440158
Got a face that’d strike fear into parents, but also be welcomed into the church...

I’ll see myself out

After watching the highlight reels of the three new guys, I was more taken with Ross. I realise you can't take much out of selected cuts, but he looked like a good mover and accurate kick. Will be interesting to watch his development.

Last year we were surprised by Cousins and Morrison, and expect Ollie to come on, all taken after pick 73. The odds of doing it again are minimal, but at least it has been proven that it can be done, even it it takes a little patience with these guys.

Boot Studder

All Australian
Mar 13, 2008
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One of 9 Eastern Ranges to join the AFL.

I like the fact he'll continue to train alongside Dylan Moore like it's a rite of passage.

Suddenly, your Hawks go from 2 Ranges guys to 4.
No worries with the 'go home' factor with Jackson from around Belgrave and Dylan from Rowville. Hopefully, Dingley won't be a problem in the future. :D

Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson. Hopefully, this is the start of a good long career in the brown & gold.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
he seems like a poor-mans Sicily without the aggro... well i wish him all the best

Looking at his highlights, I cant see any resemblance to Sicily at all? Sicily's game is based on his contested marking. Ross reminds me more of Gunston when he was first selected by Adelaide, skinny, raw but worth potential.

he seems like a poor-mans Sicily without the aggro... well i wish him all the best
Sicily? I guess they’ll wear similar jumpers on game day, but that’s about where the similarities end from what I see.

Much more a Gunston-type, IMO. He is rangey & from reports, is agile & has great endurance. I think I read that he has elite score involvement & score assist numbers as well.

Sounds like a great get to develop on the Non-Smitty wing or as a High Half Forward, getting up the ground & being involved twice or more in possession chains, transitioning from defence to attack.

I think this is a great get.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Apart from his athletic ability he has discipline. Having committed to a tennis career and nearly making it shows he is prepared to do the hard yards to make it happen. He excites me the most of the new recruits.
Players that a willing to go the extra mile are those usually turn out to be solid players at the very least

Perfect late round pick. High risk / high reward and some elite capabilities. Best of luck Whacko Jacko !!!
Given that he was a Pick in the 70's, I don't see that it was in any way a 'High Risk' Pick.

All I see is 'No Risk / High Reward'

Conversation with my chiropractor this morning...

One of my client's was drafted to Hawthorn yesterday.

Oh right, cool. We only picked 3, Worpel, Moore and some other kid, I can't remember his name...

That's the one!
So you're saying that you're Jackson Ross?

Welcome aboard, mate! Congratulations!

Don't worry about bradkli - he's a geelong supporter in a Hawks jumper!

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can see upside in Jackson Ross.
Like many others reminds me of a young Gunners.
Jackson should shadow & stick to Jack Gunston and he'll show the ropes.
Gunners is a huge tennis fan and from same school, a mini Gunston is fine but may take time.
A great late pick up by the hawks. Good luck Jackson Ross.

Can see upside in Jackson Ross.
Like many others reminds me of a young Gunners.
Jackson should shadow & stick to Jack Gunston and he'll show the ropes.
Gunners is a huge tennis fan and from same school, a mini Gunston is fine but may take time.
A great late pick up by the hawks. Good luck Jackson Ross.
As long as he doesn’t do a Gunston & go to that sh!t club Hawth.... oh wait

Back