Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Jackson Ross, Pick #71 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been a good couple of weeks from Jackson. I am loving his speedy improvement.

My question is whether he applies pressure in the forward line. I cannot remember a tackle from him in either of the Box Hill wins: I’ll go back and watch to find one. If you saw one please tell me.
His chasing and harassing has gone up a level this year. Hasn't been able to run down players but some very strong and multiple chases which is promising to round out his game.

Have you watched the Box Hill games? They scrap for the ball, and may loose it to half back but once they have it move the ball with speed and skill to an open forward-line where there is little pressure and generally, kick the goal. It is great football. But currently AFL football is much more defensive. Ross would not get the space he is getting in the VFL.
Ross would not get the easy goals he is getting if he was playing in the AFL.
Don’t get me wrong, Jackson is doing great by getting in the right attacking positions to get the goals. My question is whether he is also good defensively. I am unsure and want to find out more or be told other people’s opinions on his defensive skills.
Ain't this the truth. Our AFL fwd line is like a washing machine. Jacko would feel like he was playing a different game if he was in the AFL side. Only have had to watch Wingard the last 2 weeks scratching his head about what is going on around him to understand how different Box Hill is to Hawthorn. Was the same last year when Mitch Lewis played games. He couldn't play the way he did at box hill and ended up lost. Incredibly frustrating.

Box Hills ball movement is textbook. Brilliant this year.

Have you watched the Box Hill games? They scrap for the ball, and may loose it to half back and then once they have it move the ball will speed and skill to an open forward-line where there is little pressure and kick a goal. It is great football. But currently AFL football is much more defensive. Ross would not get the space he is getting in the VFL.
Ross would not get the easy goals he is getting if he was playing in the AFL.
Don’t get me wrong, Jackson is doing great by getting in the right attacking positions to get the goals. My question is whether he is also good defensively. I am unsure and want to find out or be told.

When Ross first played at Box Hill he was earning his spot with defensive actions. I watched him close up.

He was shepherding, spoiling, chasing. He just got it and he was honest, if you know what i mean.

He is never going to be a defensive pressure beast, but he will give you that same honest defensive effort that Nash does.

Ross also finds ways to score goals like a real forward. He makes them look easy... so people think it is easy.

Ain't this the truth. Our AFL fwd line is like a washing machine. Jacko would feel like he was playing a different game if he was in the AFL side. Only have had to watch Wingard the last 2 weeks scratching his head about what is going on around him to understand how different Box Hill is to Hawthorn. Was the same last year when Mitch Lewis played games. He couldn't play the way he did at box hill and ended up lost. Incredibly frustrating.

Box Hills ball movement is textbook. Brilliant this year.

Mainly coz we bomb the ball in there to a bunch of smalls. Go figure.

When Ross first played at Box Hill he was earning his spot with defensive actions. I watched him close up.

He was shepherding, spoiling, chasing. He just got it and he was honest, if you know what i mean.

He is never going to be a defensive pressure beast, but he will give you that same honest defensive effort that Nash does.

Ross also finds ways to score goals like a real forward. He makes them look easy... so people think it is easy.

thats true, a lot of Ross' goals this year have come from on the run 45m out on slight angels, so not easy goals to kick and he seems to do it effortlessly also his instinctual soccer goal was good also from an opponents falcon.

No. Gunner wins contests. Ross finds the footy by reading the play.
Jackson Ross is 19 years old. Do you reckon he'll develop the contested style as he goes, or is he 'outside' by nature (your opinion based on observation of course - not going to hold you to a definitive statement)?

To those that have seen him play,

Is it reasonable to liken Ross to a young Gunston (adelaide vintage), with regard to his attributes or style?

Absolutely, uses his smarts not size and would find space in our forward line.

For those saying he is too skinny, he has more muscle than Dylan Moore, hell did you see the size of Hams for Essendon yesterday. We need to reward good performance.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Poppy and Nash do multiple pressure acts throughout the game. They are not registered as tackles but they make the defender rush their kicks: which is good for Hawthorn. Cyril was the best at pressure. I’ll find you his tackle numbers. Ave: 4.6 per game. Wow. Geeze I miss Rioli...but Agreed Nash has to do better. Not sure yet but maybe Ross also has to do better as well.
This from a Hawk poster (houdinihuddo) on the Box Hill thread:

Ross - Played a break out game against Casey with five goals and a serviceable game against Sandringham with three goals. He has clean hands and is generally a very good kick at goal from set shots and on the run. His strength is his mobility and he has good pace and the ability to run into space. He needs to build up physically to improve his contested work and work harder at apply pressure on the opposition.

It was also said he may have hurt his hammy during the game.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]I like Ross’ X factor... tall, clean, good kick, pace, ... and becoming a smart footballer
Add to that a defensive unit who taps to advantage, tackles like a piranha, and eventually can pack mark... then we have a 250 gamer. [/FONT]

This is going out on a limb quite a long way, and sawing on the trunk side, but... I reckon the person he reminds me the most of, is Peter Hudson. An uncanny almost psychic ability to read the play and find himself on his own with ball in hand. Not much of a frame to star with. I'm not in any way saying he deserves that kind of pressure, but if I was comparing playing styles, it'd be the great man, rather than Gunston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL

18 games - 16 goals
9 disposals - 4 marks - 1 tackle - 0.88 goals per game

6 games - 17 goals
13 disposals - 4 marks - 2 tackles - 2.83 goals per game

Even though Ross is showing some major signs of improvement this year he's a long way off from playing AFL regularly and pushing for best 22. However he could make his debut in the second half of the season and play 1 or 2 games.

VFL

Even though Ross is showing some major signs of improvement this year he's a long way off from playing AFL regularly and pushing for best 22. However he could make his debut in the second half of the season and play 1 or 2 games.

signs of Improvement?
He is equal first on the goalkicking table from 6 games @17 goals.
The other 2 are Jordan Lisle, and Patrick Kerr (carlton) - both KPF.

Ross is killing them!

Being under-developed hasn't stopped Duuuursma playing well for Port.

signs of Improvement?
He is equal first on the goalkicking table from 6 games @17 goals.
The other 2 are Jordan Lisle, and Patrick Kerr (carlton) - both KPF.

Ross is killing them!

Being under-developed hasn't stopped Duuuursma playing well for Port.

Yep is knocking hard. If finals become a moot point it would be great to see him play the last five games or so of 2019 for his development.

has had a breakout year, kicking at least a goal in every game, 7 games kicking 19.6 so accurate as well, averages nearly 3 a game, in the bests 3/7 times, developing nicely and knocking on opportunities door.

Jackson Ross at 193cm and maybe 80kegs... against AFL tackles and pressure... not good... Oppositions players will target him, hurt him, and maybe end his career by destroying his confidence (e.g. Watts). He is IMO our second best VFL talent. Let him get bigger, stronger, and emotionally more powerful while he dominates games in the VFL. Let him do a full Hawthorn apprenticeship.

The Hawks are not winning anything of worth this year. Development is everything and Jackson Ross is just too skinny. Give him time.

Jackson Ross at 193cm and maybe 80kegs... against AFL tackles and pressure... not good... Oppositions players will target him, hurt him, and maybe end his career by destroying his confidence (e.g. Watts). He is IMO our second best VFL talent. Let him get bigger, stronger, and emotionally more powerful while he dominates games in the VFL. Let him do a full Hawthorn apprenticeship.

The Hawks are not winning anything of worth this year. Development is everything and Jackson Ross is just too skinny. Give him time.

Agree. Hurley and these guys would snap him in half. Let him play the year at VFL and have a big preseason in the gym.

Could name plenty of skinny players who played and thrived when they were young, Gunston, Fyfe...

It's about mindset.

Ross need to play at some point during the back half of the year to experience the AFL style of play and learn what he needs to work on over the preseason.

Plenty of talent has been wasted by spending too long in the seconds when they're showing form worthy of a senior debut - it's not a case of Watts where he debuted in an absolute cauldron with the weight of an entire club's expectations on his shoulders.

He's not much slighter than Jaidyn Stephenson, he's the most in form goal kicker at VFL level and has improved drastically. If the form is there, and the spot is open, play him.

If you were going to debut a skinny kid against anyone it'd be Essendon. They are hardly Brisbane 2003. I can't think of any intimidating players in their current 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back