Ultimate Glory Welcome to Hawthorn, Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the triple m ego trip Larkins used to be a straight down the line medical commentator who used to just report injuries

Well, I feel like I know everything I need to... it was great to hear that Larkins believes he'll be back, there's no real doubt about it as this injury really is in isolation from his previous patella rupture.

The unknown is whether we get back a flying Jags (eventually) or a crocked Jags, and moving forward the other unknown is whether he has continued isolated injuries around that patella area.

It seems a world first from what I can gather, the type of surgery he has had and the complexity of the injury hasn't really been seen before. The positive is the Tom Scully outcome as Larkins mentions, there was concerns he'd never be the player that his potential showed, well look how that's turned out.

A clean run of 4-5 games would give him enormous confidence going into next year.

And I forgot about some kid called Burton that slipped down the draft list because of a dodgy broken leg. Are other Clubs crying in their soup about that ? No. They've move on too.
crows supporters are - partly because they picked up doobee who hasn't played instead, who may also go back to geelong. Was truly an odd choice at the time.

For me, leave the guy out for the rest of the year. Get him ready for 2018.

No point risking him now, not worth it. Don't want another set back from playing. This guy is long term and I want to see him play till early 30's.

Time to play it safe and rule him out.

IF he gets a few games this year, I wonder if we'll just play him in a forward pocket or something just to ease him back into it, rather than throw him in the guts.

Should be looking to get him a few at Box Hill IMO. Assuming they qualify for finals it'd be good to get ~6 games in at the back end at a somewhat lower intensity.

He needs to play some games imo. It sucks being injured and watching if you are a competitive type. If he can play some games and build a bit of form the pre-season will not seem as daunting.
Even 4 games towards the end of the year would be great for his appetite, confidence and most importantly his mind.

Every time I think about this I shed tears. Garrett is phenomenal, he just doesn't waste possession.

He would completely change our midfield dynamics.. I hope the obsession with the club drafting racehorse/whippet types goes, the best mids in the league are all strongly build bulls , even Merrett has a bulky frame on him.

He would completely change our midfield dynamics.. I hope the obsession with the club drafting racehorse/whippet types goes, the best mids in the league are all strongly build bulls , even Merrett has a bulky frame on him.

I think as far as type goes we've often looked at endurance/ running base over other aspects. With the interchange cap coming in and the need for guys who can go the journey, it hasn't necessarily been wrong.

The letter of the law they cant all be perfect trades. I will back my club tooth and nail! While the latest news is a setback there is still plenty of time. zero margin for error moving fwd you would think with the game envolving so quickly for jom to get back to his best.
2nd the recruiting of recent seasons is average our backline is also in tatters with carlton recruiting plowman marchbank docherty even silvangi of recent seasons all of them would get a game what have we done.
pay tv 500k yuk!
A massive off season come on!
Now that you've had a week to think about this, and bearing Burton, Birchell and Sicily featured in the coaches votes, and Hardwick, Brand and Doc were good, would you like to rethink the statement about our backline being in tatters?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF he gets a few games this year, I wonder if we'll just play him in a forward pocket or something just to ease him back into it, rather than throw him in the guts.

If I had to make a prediction, I'll say that his progression and mainstream opinion will go something like this:

Currently

"Hawthorn mortgaged their future for someone that may never play again"

Jaegar plays his first couple games this year with large stints forward and isn't at his best

"Hawthorn mortgaged their future for a guy who will never be more than a decent B-grader since he lost his mobility from debilitating knee problems"

Jaegar eventually plays extended midfield minutes and looks decent but not a world beater

"Yeah he's an okay midfielder but for what Hawthorn gave up for him they need him to be the best player in the competition or it's a massive bust"

Jaegar misses a week due to the flu

"See, Hawthorn can't admit that it's patella tendon problems again and Jaegar will likely announce his retirement in the coming days"

Jaegar starts to establish himself as an elite centre square midfielder

"We all knew the trade was a massive risk and I never said it was a bust, Hawthorn still paid massive overs however you slice it"

Jaegar becomes the player he showed he could become as a junior

"I always thought it was a good trade, you need to take risks to pull these kinds of things off. Why Gold Coast bent over and accepted pick 10 and change I'll never know"

Last edited:
If I had to make a prediction, I'll say that his progression and mainstream opinion will go something like this:

Currently

"Hawthorn mortgaged their future for someone that may never play again"

Jaegar plays his first couple games this year with large stints forward and isn't at his best

"Hawthorn mortgaged their future for a guy who will never be more than a decent B-grader since he lost his mobility from debilitating knee problems"

Jaegar eventually plays extended midfield minutes and looks decent but not a world beater

"Yeah he's an okay midfielder but for what Hawthorn gave up for him they need him to be the best player in the competition or it's a massive bust"

Jaegar misses a week due to the flu

"See, Hawthorn can't admit that it's patella tendon problems again and Jaegar will likely announce his retirement in the coming days"

Jaegar starts to establish himself as an elite centre square midfielder

"We all knew the trade was a massive risk and I never said it was a bust, Hawthorn still paid massive overs however you slice it"

Jaegar becomes the player he showed he could become as a junior

"I always thought it was a good trade, you need to take risks to pull these kinds of things off"
Last one is wrong
Correct answer will be AFL needs to act Hawthorn cheated the system again to get the best player for nothing

Hawthorn have actually shown over and over that they show their cards because they are so strategic in their decision making.

Nursing Burgoyne early, Rioli playing from day dot, aka Hill, retiring Lake early, playing Buddy as a decoy, being hard on Doc etc

James Sicily (22 years old, 35 games), Kaiden Brand (23 years old, 19 games), Ryan Burton (20 years old, 16 games) and Blake Hardwick (20 years old, 11 games are making up our backline.

If that doesn't get you excited I don't know how? (Pardon the pun)

As for JOM follow the line of what I'm saying and the answer is there. He played early because they thought he was ok. He's not playing now because he's not. I hope so much he makes it for him.

But regardless he will maybe be a star or someone we backed in no matter what. Go the Hawks!!!

Hawthorn have actually shown over and over that they show their cards because they are so strategic in their decision making.

Nursing Burgoyne early, Rioli playing from day dot, aka Hill, retiring Lake early, playing Buddy as a decoy, being hard on Doc etc

James Sicily (22 years old, 35 games), Kaiden Brand (23 years old, 19 games), Ryan Burton (20 years old, 16 games) and Blake Hardwick (20 years old, 11 games are making up our backline.

If that doesn't get you excited I don't know how? (Pardon the pun)

As for JOM follow the line of what I'm saying and the answer is there. He played early because they thought he was ok. He's not playing now because he's not. I hope so much he makes it for him.

But regardless he will maybe be a star or someone we backed in no matter what. Go the Hawks!!!
The Doc Larkins video is actually excellent and I have been pretty amazed at how the the MB trollers just ignore watching it. I am not going to bother discussing Jaegar and whether he will get on the field etc with posters who haven't watched it. Don't have time - and any poster who doesn't watch it and makes comments about Jaegar's injury is just being a knob basically

Yes its fun to poke fun at Doc L (because he is often off the mark) but this is actually the best synopsis I have seen so far.

Last one is wrong
Correct answer will be AFL needs to act Hawthorn cheated the system again to get the best player for nothing

Yep, especially when the picks we gave up turn out to be Moore, Bastinac, Black and Harper all over again.

Now that you've had a week to think about this, and bearing Burton, Birchell and Sicily featured in the coaches votes, and Hardwick, Brand and Doc were good, would you like to rethink the statement about our backline being in tatters?

fantastic performance on the weekend. 1 game will not change my view unlike the media lets review it at the end of yr. With birchall back it really helped burton and sic. That was sic 1st good game lets hope it continues he has the talent.
Hardwick sic and burton were all good pick ups in the draft. Burton will be a midfielder moving fwd.
Still very worried with frawley & brand as our key defensive posts moving fwd your not? Brand looked ok on the weekend. But it Would have been nice to have spent the tv money on a key back instead thoughts?

Onr thing to consider say Jaeger is back in a month or so and plays the last 4 games including some good ones. Surely a return of 8 games him in the best for some of them. Wouldn't that be a success based on expectations when we picked him up.

Also if the club is to be believed and this is a new injury just coincidently to the same area it is really no cause for alarm. Cyril, Stratton, frawley and Birchall haven't copped the same flak for their injuries.

they are premiership players...with cyril and birchall 4 time premiership players...they probably get 'more time' as they have runs on the board

fantastic performance on the weekend. 1 game will not change my view unlike the media lets review it at the end of yr. With birchall back it really helped burton and sic. That was sic 1st good game lets hope it continues he has the talent.
Hardwick sic and burton were all good pick ups in the draft. Burton will be a midfielder moving fwd.
Still very worried with frawley & brand as our key defensive posts moving fwd your not? Brand looked ok on the weekend. But it Would have been nice to have spent the tv money on a key back instead thoughts?

It has been more than one game for Burton and Hardwick, they have proved they should be long ther players for us. To me, Sicily has to show consistency from week to week before I am convinced. Brand is coming along nicely, and should become a permanent full back. Birchell's inclusion certainly helped our defence, and Hodgey's coaching was invaluable.

We have quite a few promising defenders at Box Hill. Harry Morrison, and Irishmen Conor Glass, and Conor Nash could be anything; even though he has had a bad run with injuries, I have heard excellent reports on Hanrahan, so with a bit of luck, and some good development, our back half looks in pretty good shape to me.

We brought in Gibbo, Frawley and Lake very late in the piece for not a lot. No reason we cant so something similar down the track if we need to.

In this era of FA and player power in general, this idea that if you don't have supposed elite 21 year old talent now, you wont have elite 26 year talent in 5 years is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back