Ultimate Glory Welcome to Hawthorn, Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've ever worked with GPS data, you'll know that it bounces around a bit, I'd say hodgy copped a bit of a spike that was still within the Data cleaning parameters. #nerd

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

I enjoy hyperbole as much as the next person - but you cannot make that comparison. JOM hit his top speed for a few seconds - elite sprinters (400/800) would maintain that sort of speed for a minute.

Also, 100m sprint is from a standing start, most 100m sprinters would hit 40km/h in the last half.

His recorded top speed is about the same as an olympic 1500m runner - funnily enough that's about what you would expect from an on-baller.

It's not hyperbole, he was the fastest on the ground which given is game fitness and injury history is a massive positive, no one expects him to match the fastest dozen runners in the world.

I'd be surprised if there were any players in the AFL that could run a sub 11 second 100m off AFL based training and if there were there wouldn't be more then 1 or 2.

I'd be surprised if there were any players in the AFL that could run a sub 11 second 100m off AFL based training and if there were there wouldn't be more then 1 or 2.

Most likely would be a kid coming into the draft, or in their first couple of years, who also had an athletics background. Essentially, before they put all their football bulk on in the wrong places for a sprinter

The stat that caught my eye from the GPS data was the 9 repeat sprints, 3 more than anyone else on the ground

Shows that not only is covering the ground to get to each contest, he is willing to put in more than one effort in a row. Workrate is such an integral asset in any professional sport

A very solid platform to build upon

I enjoy hyperbole as much as the next person - but you cannot make that comparison. JOM hit his top speed for a few seconds - elite sprinters (400/800) would maintain that sort of speed for a minute.

Also, 100m sprint is from a standing start, most 100m sprinters would hit 40km/h in the last half.

His recorded top speed is about the same as an olympic 1500m runner - funnily enough that's about what you would expect from an on-baller.
Yeah I know Simon. I was just using it as an example, instead of just saying " well that's pretty quick". It has always amazed me the speed middle/long distance runners actually run at and maintain over distance.

You may want to rethink this given you are quoting someone who is talking about 100m sprints - where they are actually at top speed for only a handful of seconds...

I believe at Etihad they use a different technology called LPS (local positioning system). Basically works similar to GPS, but because the technology used is built into the stadium (instead of by satellites in a geostationary orbit approx 36000km above the Earth), the results are significantly more accurate and reliable when compared with GPS data. I could be wrong though in that it might not be turned on in Etihad yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you've ever worked with GPS data, you'll know that it bounces around a bit, I'd say hodgy copped a bit of a spike that was still within the Data cleaning parameters. #nerd

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk
Spot on. And through a big, closed, metal roof I would be taking that GPS data with a grain of salt. Even in perfect conditions you're going to get drift of several metres.

I believe at Etihad they use a different technology called LPS (local positioning system). Basically works similar to GPS, but because the technology used is built into the stadium (instead of by satellites in a geostationary orbit approx 36000km above the Earth), the results are significantly more accurate and reliable when compared with GPS data. I could be wrong though in that it might not be turned on in Etihad yet.
It would surprise me if the AFL have gone to that expense when you consider the dogs breakfast that is the score review system that they've allowed to exist for so many years. It's like a Nokia 7650 taped to the goal post.

Most likely would be a kid coming into the draft, or in their first couple of years, who also had an athletics background. Essentially, before they put all their football bulk on in the wrong places for a sprinter
Maybe but to give you an idea only 9 U18's and 24 open athletes went sub 11 at Nationals this year.

Bliclavs?
He was a 1500m/3km runner from memory, wouldn't go close to going under 11 seconds even in his athletic prime. His times for 800m, 1500m, 3km and 5km are pretty handy.

It would surprise me if the AFL have gone to that expense when you consider the dogs breakfast that is the score review system that they've allowed to exist for so many years. It's like a Nokia 7650 taped to the goal post.
From this article:

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/19716197/in-2018-afl-delve-further-data-rich-world

Catapult has been capturing data at Etihad Stadium for 18 months with a permanently placed Local Positioning System (LPS) that gives a more accurate reading of players' positions in relation to the ball and each other at any one time than does a GPS.

The entire article is a decent read, there are references to how accurate the data is, that it is only currently installed at Etihad etc.

From this article:

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/19716197/in-2018-afl-delve-further-data-rich-world

Catapult has been capturing data at Etihad Stadium for 18 months with a permanently placed Local Positioning System (LPS) that gives a more accurate reading of players' positions in relation to the ball and each other at any one time than does a GPS.

The entire article is a decent read, there are references to how accurate the data is, that it is only currently installed at Etihad etc.
Good to see them take a step in the right direction.

Any reason we havent thrown him up back to give him a run behind the ball to find a bit more of it? Surely that would help to get him back in the groove.

Must say his ball drop really concerns me. Too much time between leaving the hand and connecting with the foot. Needs some work over summer.

I'm just waiting for next season regarding Jaeger, he must be spewing the season is about to end.

Yeah, same. I can think of nothing worse than being a professional footballer and being plagued with injuries to the extent that you barely get to play in a whole season, and there are a few Hawks in that category this year. Worse for Jaeger in that he's missed so much footy already over the past couple of years. How they maintain their discipline with regards to fitness, diet etc. I'll never know, I'd find it so de-motivating. Hopefully all will go well next year :thumbsu:

I went to school with a kid who ran 11s flat. I bet there are some who would come very close to 11s if they focussed on it and were on a proper track and in those fancy shoes... as opposed to running 33kmph on sandy grass in studs.

Not sure what all the argument is over. He is a guy who supposedly has dead knees yet he was the quickest player in the game. Clearly the ones pushing that argument have no idea what they are talking about.

I went to school with a kid who ran 11s flat. I bet there are some who would come very close to 11s if they focussed on it and were on a proper track and in those fancy shoes... as opposed to running 33kmph on sandy grass in studs.

Not sure what all the argument is over. He is a guy who supposedly has dead knees yet he was the quickest player in the game. Clearly the ones pushing that argument have no idea what they are talking about.
AFL athletes just don't train for 100M, but I'd be stunned if there wasn't a decent amount in the AFL that couldn't run sub 11. Rohan would definitely do it. And from a quick google search McGrath, Jayden Hunt, and Dangerfield all did it as juniors. I knew a girl in school who ran at 11.5, or at least under 12 I can't recall exactly, it's not some legendary feat.

AFL athletes just don't train for 100M, but I'd be stunned if there wasn't a decent amount in the AFL that couldn't run sub 11. Rohan would definitely do it. And from a quick google search McGrath, Jayden Hunt, and Dangerfield all did it as juniors. I knew a girl in school who ran at 11.5, or at least under 12 I can't recall exactly, it's not some legendary feat.

Yep. The difference is 11s vs 10.5s. Hardly anyone is going to do 10.5s. And even at 10.5s you are about 10m behind the true 100m runners by the time they finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back