Ultimate Glory Welcome to Hawthorn, Jaeger O'Meara

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just dont get the hysteria.
Me either.

People seem to need certainty, and if they can't have it, they will convince themselves that they do anyway.

Whatever happened to "wait and see"?

Young people today, etc etc...grizzle grizzle...

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I heard that Elvis didn't die and he had eleven more children after his supposed death.

The last of these children was Jaegar

The real Jaegar's knees are fine too. This guy has come from another part of the multiverse where all knees are buggered

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Issue is, a deal like this that goes completely pear shaped effects the club for 4-5 years. The hysteria is warranted, I can't remember a deal in recent history where a club gave up so much. Do you?

We also have traded away 3 starting mids from last year and somehow failed to have any selections in the first 2 rounds of last years draft and this years draft lol.

Tyrone Time

Cancelled
May 22, 2015
Baltimore
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Issue is, a deal like this that goes completely pear shaped effects the club for 4-5 years. The hysteria is warranted, I can't remember a deal in recent history where a club gave up so much. Do you?

What did we actually give up though?

Two speculative players. Who says those players don't join Dowler, Thorp and Muston?

Your draft number stops mattering after your name is called out. Then it's down to hard work and luck.

JOM is hardly a bust. We didn't see Burgoyne for 9 weeks after he broke his jaw at Geelong.

Let's just cool our jets to give Russell and co a chance to work with him. And even then, if he does bust, such is life.

What pick was Burton? 19? How many players below him are showing the same output? Are club boards ranting about Ryan Burton slipping through to us? nope. Just the way she goes ray!

We also have traded away 3 starting mids from last year and somehow failed to have any selections in the first 2 rounds of last years draft and this years draft lol.
We traded out two blokes the wrong side of 30 for two blokes in the right age profile and talent level to keep the midfield going

Our first round pick last year would not have been better than Tom so I don't know why you bundle that up in your complaint

Our first pick this year had zero chance of helping us this year and we won't know until next year whether we are looking at a situation like Tom and this years pick.

Would you honestly give Tom back to the Swans and rather have whoever the Hawks picked in the team? No

So why do you worry about a pick that hasn't even happened yet?

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
We traded out two blokes the wrong side of 30 for two blokes in the right age profile and talent level to keep the midfield going

Our first round pick last year would not have been better than Tom so I don't know why you bundle that up in your complaint

Our first pick this year had zero chance of helping us this year and we won't know until next year whether we are looking at a situation like Tom and this years pick.

Would you honestly give Tom back to the Swans and rather have whoever the Hawks picked in the team? No

I'd reverse the Jaeger trade though to have pick 2 in this years draft + our 2nd pick in this years draft + picks 23 & 36 in last years draft. Tom Mitchell we got a good deal with pick 14, Brad Hill we got unders with pick 23. To be honest trading out Mitchell and Lewis has really done nothing though as its not like we have found any youngsters to fill the void, all its done is put more strain on Tom Mitchell trying to carry the midfield, hopefully he does not burn out by 27/28.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What did we actually give up though?

Two speculative players. Who says those players don't join Dowler, Thorp and Muston?

Your draft number stops mattering after your name is called out. Then it's down to hard work and luck.

JOM is hardly a bust. We didn't see Burgoyne for 9 weeks after he broke his jaw at Geelong.

Let's just cool our jets to give Russell and co a chance to work with him. And even then, if he does bust, such is life.

What pick was Burton? 19? How many players below him are showing the same output? Are club boards ranting about Ryan Burton slipping through to us? nope. Just the way she goes ray!

I suggest you go back and read the Adelaide board on 2015 draft night.

Tyrone Time

Cancelled
May 22, 2015
Baltimore
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

And all Sammy or Jordan would've done this year is stop the development of some younger players for a 2-5 spot boost on the ladder and a false dawn of where we really were at. The Eagles and Demons are hardly flying with them.

Having picks has won Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne and St.Kilda how many flags in the last 15 years?

Trading them was never about draft position, it was looking after loyal servants. I still scratch my head at the Demons giving Lewis 3 years, but alas good luck to him!

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
And all Sammy or Jordan would've done this year is stop the development of some younger players for a 2-5 spot boost on the ladder and a false dawn of where we really were at. The Eagles and Demons are hardly flying with them.

Having picks has won Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne and St.Kilda how many flags in the last 15 years?

Trading them was never about draft position, it was looking after loyal servants. I still scratch my head at the Demons giving Lewis 3 years, but alas good luck to him!

See that's where I disagree with you because all I see is more game time for known butchers like Langford, if we actually had some youngsters getting the game time I'd be less critical.

Tyrone Time

Cancelled
May 22, 2015
Baltimore
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I'd reverse the Jaeger trade though to have pick 2 in this years draft + our 2nd pick in this years draft + picks 23 & 36 in last years draft. Tom Mitchell we got a good deal with pick 14, Brad Hill we got unders with pick 23. To be honest trading out Mitchell and Lewis has really done nothing though as its not like we have found any youngsters to fill the void, all its done is put more strain on Tom Mitchell trying to carry the midfield, hopefully he does not burn out by 27/28.

Yes, Brad Hill was a strange trade but again, it was likely the club wanted to help him get home. Who knows if anything, whether the off field stuff played a part in this. Fact is, we got the Hill and Mitchell trades done and only thanks to Tony Cochead did we struggle to get JOM. Would you have rather the Hawks walked away on JOM after obviously convincing him to pick us over Essendon? I'm glad we kept our word and reputation to the kid. Sends a message that the Hawthorns word is worth something.

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
Yes, Brad Hill was a strange trade but again, it was likely the club wanted to help him get home. Who knows if anything, whether the off field stuff played a part in this. Fact is, we got the Hill and Mitchell trades done and only thanks to Tony Cochead did we struggle to get JOM. Would you have rather the Hawks walked away on JOM after obviously convincing him to pick us over Essendon? I'm glad we kept our word and reputation to the kid. Sends a message that the Hawthorns word is worth something.

Perhaps Jaeger might help us this year convince Steven May to come to the Hawks?

you'd reverse the trade based on what you've seen so far or you believe he will never be a player?

MacMace

Team Captain
May 16, 2017
Tassie
AFL Club
Hawthorn

One of the best posts I have read re this. Very well said.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
you'd reverse the trade based on what you've seen so far or you believe he will never be a player?

I just have no faith his body will allow him to be the player he would have been, I also have doubts if it will even allow him to play consistent footy. I really hope that I'm wrong as I would love nothing more than Jaeger to reach his potential.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'd like to restructure it ideally, obviously GC where playing hardball and panic set in with our list management team and we sold the farm. I'd like to see him take the field, he was recruited to contribute in 2017 so we are already behind the 8 ball.

Let's just hope for a nice Andrew Russell bupa update stating he's on track for a post bye return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back