Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Future captain gets bandied around a lot but I can see it with Jai. He speaks well - few words but well chosen. He’s charismatic, as tough and competitive as they come. Strong drive and self belief. Bloody good player.
There's a reason Sam has faith in the leadership qualities with the current group without Jaeger or Tom being there. The running commentary around it shows how very little anyone outside the club knows the current status of the playing group.

Future captain gets bandied around a lot but I can see it with Jai. He speaks well - few words but well chosen. He’s charismatic, as tough and competitive as they come. Strong drive and self belief. Bloody good player.

Jai is the player on our list who I am most confident about.
I just know he will be an A grader for many years.

He’s also really grown into this on the track. He’s vocal and leads by example.

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The key for Jai this year is actually for him to have adequate backup support from the midfield. Otherwise massive burnout risk if he's left to do the brunt of the heavy lifting like TOM for so long.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Very true. I reckon Sammy will have to rotate our young players before they get injured.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
FjcMCH_VUAEvSlR

What a ripper of a photo :)

And Jai is looking absolutely in top condition (still a unit but a shredded one), he could absolutely dominate next year if we get him some help in the midfield I think.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
FjcMCH_VUAEvSlR

What a ripper of a photo :)

And Jai is looking absolutely in top condition (still a unit but a shredded one), he could absolutely dominate next year if we get him some help in the midfield I think.
Got misty eyed looking at this, there's a super power given to most number 3s at the club once they wear that jumper.

Jai about to hit level stratosphere with his output in seasons 2023. Going to be a monster year for him, hopefully he drags a couple of other players along with him.

joeyhawker

Debutant
Mar 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If newc is half as good as lethal (450 career goal kicker and a competent midfielder) he will still probably make the hof
Thats one of the most amazing overlooked stat's on Lethals career, a rover who could also play forward (and played predominantly forward later in his career) and kicks a lazy 915 goals!!!! Unbelievable!!!! GOAT!!!

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back