Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

1st I50s - 90 (Daicos 2nd on 60)

1st Goal Assists - 16 (Durdin 2nd on 13)

1st Tackles - 101 (Maginness 2nd on 57)

1st Contested Possessions - 201 (JHF 2nd on 142)

1st Centre Clearances - 33 (JHF 2nd on 19)

1st Clearances - 85 (JHF 2nd on 58)

1st Average Metres Gained - 435pg (Daicos 2nd on 407)

1st Score Involvements - 119 (Nic Martin 2nd on 118)

2nd Disposals - 497 (Daicos 1st with 571)

1st Coaches’ votes Newc - 44 votes, Daicos - 30 votes, SDK - 21 votes
Gotta be close to 1st in broken tackles too, such a valuable skill to break the play open

Wow, pies fans are a different bunch. Made a comment on Facebook and they lynched, had one dm me after I deleted it (wasn't worth the continual comments).

Wow, just wow...
joffa collingwoodsupporter GIF by CollingwoodFC

Do we really want Duke, or any of our players, winning awards? Doesn't it result in bonuses? So isn't that a negative for us in respect of TPP? You pay them more and get nothing in return

Yes, we're currently 13th and TPP not an issue, but taking it to the extreme, when your players win these awards, it doesn't help your club.
If Sicily had an AA bonus attached to his contract, I'd be disappointed if we didn't pay it out even though he didn't make the team.

Can we put this table up next to the rising star winner for each of these years?
Was wondering that myself...

Year
AFLCA Young Player​
Rising Star
2003​
Chris JuddWest CoastSam MitchellHawthorn
2004​
Daniel WellsKangaroosJared RiversMelbourne
2005​
Adam CooneyWestern BulldogsBrett DeledioRichmond
2006​
Ryan GriffenWestern BulldogsDanyle PearcePort Adelaide
2007​
Scott PendleburyCollingwoodJoel SelwoodGeelong
2008​
Joel SelwoodGeelongRhys PalmerFremantle
2009​
Cyril RioliHawthornDaniel RichBrisbane Lions
2010​
Stephen HillFremantleDaniel HanneberySydney
2011​
Nat FyfeFremantleDyson HeppellEssendon
2012​
Dyson HeppellEssendonDaniel TaliaAdelaide
2013​
Jeremy CameronGreater Western SydneyJaeger O'MearaGold Coast
2014​
Jaeger O'MearaGold CoastLewis TaylorBrisbane Lions
2015​
Marcus BontempelliWestern BulldogsJesse HoganMelbourne
2016​
Isaac HeeneySydneyCallum MillsSydney
2017​
Clayton OliverMelbourneAndrew McGrathEssendon
2018​
Tom StewartGeelongJaidyn StephensonCollingwood
2019​
Tim KellyGeelongSam WalshCarlton
2020​
Sam WalshCarltonCaleb SerongFremantle
2021​
Noah AndersonGold CoastLuke JacksonMelbourne
2021​
Caleb SerongFremantle
2022​
Jai NewcombeHawthornNick DaicosCollingwood

I think AFLCA Young Player wins comfortably.

Rhyce Palmer. Lololololol

Both awards have recognised good young talent but the coaches have never been completely wrong. Worst selection is Stephen Hill pretty good worst selection imo.

Rhyce Palmer. Lololololol

Both awards have recognised good young talent but the coaches have never been completely wrong. Worst selection is Stephen Hill pretty good worst selection imo.
Was a very good player for a long time and suffered from injuries when he should have been at his peak

Was wondering that myself...

Year
AFLCA Young Player​
Rising Star
2003​
Chris JuddWest CoastSam MitchellHawthorn
2004​
Daniel WellsKangaroosJared RiversMelbourne
2005​
Adam CooneyWestern BulldogsBrett DeledioRichmond
2006​
Ryan GriffenWestern BulldogsDanyle PearcePort Adelaide
2007​
Scott PendleburyCollingwoodJoel SelwoodGeelong
2008​
Joel SelwoodGeelongRhys PalmerFremantle
2009​
Cyril RioliHawthornDaniel RichBrisbane Lions
2010​
Stephen HillFremantleDaniel HanneberySydney
2011​
Nat FyfeFremantleDyson HeppellEssendon
2012​
Dyson HeppellEssendonDaniel TaliaAdelaide
2013​
Jeremy CameronGreater Western SydneyJaeger O'MearaGold Coast
2014​
Jaeger O'MearaGold CoastLewis TaylorBrisbane Lions
2015​
Marcus BontempelliWestern BulldogsJesse HoganMelbourne
2016​
Isaac HeeneySydneyCallum MillsSydney
2017​
Clayton OliverMelbourneAndrew McGrathEssendon
2018​
Tom StewartGeelongJaidyn StephensonCollingwood
2019​
Tim KellyGeelongSam WalshCarlton
2020​
Sam WalshCarltonCaleb SerongFremantle
2021​
Noah AndersonGold CoastLuke JacksonMelbourne
2021​
Caleb SerongFremantle
2022​
Jai NewcombeHawthornNick DaicosCollingwood

I think AFLCA Young Player wins comfortably.

AFLCA Young Player can have played 2 full seasons and be any age. Rising Star is restricted to 10 games previous year and must be 21 or under.

The interesting ones are winning RS one year, Young Player next year. Selwood, Heppell, O'Meara and Walsh did it.

Daicos has a good chance of winning AFLCA Young Player next year as he got around 30 coach votes this year. Newcombe got 44 this year but will be in his 3rd season next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has come across as pretty shy in front of the corporate and media cameras. But this shows that when he's comfortable around his mates he's actually a pretty goofy character (4:48 especially). He and Denver very much characters and what you see is what you get kind of blokes. I reckon they'd both be very fun to sit down and have some beers and talk s**t with for a few hours.

He could have tied his hair back or trimmed those side burns (Simpson's reference) or something!!!

His hair looks neater when he's in football mode!!!

Tarocash suit, no belt... no doubting the country cred of this young lad! By some miracle the top button is still done up.

Jai Newcombe 

“Jai is a really self-driven athlete so it’s no surprise that he improved so much because he put so much in. He produced a year that he should really be proud of. He comes in every week and is one of the first of the guys to do his review. He really actions areas that he feels he needs to work on, so that is a great strength of his. But I know he won’t be satisfied, he’ll want to get better, and he’ll know there is no finish line with that. The drive burns deep within him, he has a constant want to improve and get better.” Robert Harvey.

Jai Newcombe 

“Jai is a really self-driven athlete so it’s no surprise that he improved so much because he put so much in. He produced a year that he should really be proud of. He comes in every week and is one of the first of the guys to do his review. He really actions areas that he feels he needs to work on, so that is a great strength of his. But I know he won’t be satisfied, he’ll want to get better, and he’ll know there is no finish line with that. The drive burns deep within him, he has a constant want to improve and get better.” Robert Harvey.
Harvey's reviews have me feeling more positive about our midfield than Newman's had me feeling about our defence, which is bizarre considering the relative output of both groups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back