Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Boy oh boy. If he had a tank...

These 20-25 touch games are going to turn into 30-35s.

That's Brownlow territory.
Covered 15.5 km the most on ground for us. It’s not a fitness issue.

It’s on him winning more contested ball. He’s getting lots of ball around the ground. Though he’s making strides in this area with 2 games with 10 or more contested possessions out of the last 3 but none prior to that.

Has come into 3.00 2.75 with Sportsbet behind only Daicos at 2.25 2.50. Which isn't necessarily an indication that he's rated as second. They would've taken more money on Daicos earlier in the year due to his hype and pre-season performance.

I think if it was decided tomorrow he wins.

Last edited:
Can almost guarantee you he won’t win the rising star. AFL won’t allow it. They went out of their way to stop whatever loophole they think we took to get him and they’ll be embarrassed to see him win.

I know you aren't saying we abused any loopholes, but the conversation by the greater AFL community is factually incorrect.

North Melbourne were always taking Jacob Edwards with the first pick (even if Newcombes salary was $100 a week), and we drafted Newcombe at 2 ...

I don't get the angst.

Boy oh boy. If he had a tank...

These 20-25 touch games are going to turn into 30-35s.

That's Brownlow territory.
Quality over quantity at this point. He doesn't chase disposals. Will often lunge to knock the ball onto a teammates advantage which doesn't get him a disposal stat.

I know you aren't saying we abused any loopholes, but the conversation by the greater AFL community is factually incorrect.

North Melbourne were always taking Jacob Edwards with the first pick (even if Newcombes salary was $100 a week), and we drafted Newcombe at 2 ...

I don't get the angst.
Exactly. This is really what happened: A young player who knew he was worth more than the default terms nominated contract terms that were still less than his worth and well within the rules of the draft, he then promptly demonstrated that he was justified in doing so over the next 12 months.

I don't have any issues with the AFL closing the "loophole".

I agree that there was no funny business in the Hawks getting Newcombe - North were always taking Edwards.

It's about ensuring that there can be no funny business (ie: draft tampering) in the future. Nothing wrong with that. The MSD is a new mechanism, so there's always going to be tweaks early to ensure it works as desired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the angst.
Yes, I know. Still, the AFL and the media would much rather see the golden children of the regular draft win it rather than a guy taken pick 2 in the mid season draft. Bookmark it.

Yes, I know. Still, the AFL and the media would much rather see the golden children of the regular draft win it rather than a guy taken pick 2 in the mid season draft. Bookmark it.

If anything it gives credibility to the MSD's existence, and that the main draft isn't the only pathway to list building young talent.

I don't get the angst.

Exactly. This is really what happened: A young player who knew he was worth more than the default terms nominated contract terms that were still less than his worth and well within the rules of the draft, he then promptly demonstrated that he was justified in doing so over the next 12 months.

I had been arguing that too on the main board. What we did with Newcombe did not disadvantage anyone given North were always taking Edwards.

However what we did exposed something that teams and players could use to disadvantage others. That's how it should have been spun by the media. But they're too dim to realise this.

It could be but it could also make kids think if there are good enough you can win the rising star award doesn’t matter in what draft you get picked . Its all about once your in the AFL you can be what are you want just have to have the drive,skill and work hard to make it.

I don't have any issues with the AFL closing the "loophole".

I agree that there was no funny business in the Hawks getting Newcombe - North were always taking Edwards.

It's about ensuring that there can be no funny business (ie: draft tampering) in the future. Nothing wrong with that. The MSD is a new mechanism, so there's always going to be tweaks early to ensure it works as desired.
More integrity issues with the supplementary period and the rookie draft loop hole.

Great skills. Elite decision making and vision, tough as anyone in the league. Quick enough, will have elite endurance in a season or two. Great overhead. Newk will finish second on our B & F. Along with CJ, everyone’s new Favourite player.

The Duke must surely be leading the BnF. Who’s ahead of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back