Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Yabby voting is anything to go by it doesn't seem there was any consensus MVP. I had Newcombe in my votes. Like Billyc said, Newk was the ignition to our fight back. Really impressed with how we was able to impact the contest even while playing a poor game in the first half.

Surprised at this given he was quiet in the first half when the game was taken away from us.
Only quiet because Ratten decided to put the hard tag on him. Not Mitchell or O'Meara. Obviously a good call by him and if opposition coaches were paying attention it will happen more often. But to Nuke's credit he was able to go forward and have a great impact in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The big test is starting now. He will get tagged or at least watched more closely. I’m super confident he will find a way and the ability to go forward and impact helps. This guy will be a genuine A grade mid. We need another couple to be contenders. Maybe one or both of ward and McDonald.

In my mind jai is top 3 in the crimmins with sic and hardwick. I reckon sic wins.

The big test is starting now. He will get tagged or at least watched more closely. I’m super confident he will find a way and the ability to go forward and impact helps. This guy will be a genuine A grade mid. We need another couple to be contenders. Maybe one or both of ward and McDonald.

In my mind jai is top 3 in the crimmins with sic and hardwick. I reckon sic wins.
Put him to the square. Will dominate.

Reckon he could get low teen Brownlow votes
So far, I have him:

Rd 5 Cats - 3 votes
Rd 8 Essington - 1 vote (maybe)
Rd 10 Lions - 3 votes
Rd 12 Collingwood - 1 vote
Rd 19 Norf - 2 votes

So far, I have him:

Rd 5 Cats - 3 votes
Rd 8 Essington - 1 vote (maybe)
Rd 10 Lions - 3 votes
Rd 12 Collingwood - 1 vote
Rd 19 Norf - 2 votes
North 3 they don’t usually rate Forwards, 2 v the Cats as Mitchell was huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back