Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Jai's Rising Star Season - by the numbers:

1st I50s - 81 (Nick Daicos next best on 51)
1st Goal Assists - 12 (Equal with Corey Durdin)
1st Tackles - 89 (Jake Soligo second on 45)
1st Contested Possessions - 173 (JHF second on 124)
1st Centre Clearances - 30 (JHF second on 17)
1st Clearances - 75 (JHF second on 52)
1st Average Metres Gained - 443pg (Daicos Second on 402)
2nd Score Involvements - 105 (Nic Martin first with 107)
2nd Disposals - 425 (Daicos first with 495)

That's impact, IMO.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's impact, IMO.
His better then a number 1 pick… he was basically free, north could of had him and blanck and dgb, imagine their team now…

That's impact, IMO.
Those numbers just scream '2nd place Rising Star' to me!

That's impact, IMO.
All those firsts and the only one that will matter is that last second place.

All those firsts and the only one that will matter is that last second place.
By contrast, Daicos is:

1st Disposals (Jai 2nd)
1st Handballs (Jai 2nd)
1st Kicks (Jai 2nd)
1st Effective Disposals (Jai 2nd)
1st Uncontested Possessions (Jai 3rd)
1st Rebound 50s (Jai 3rd)
1st Bounces (equal with Wanganeen-Milera, Jai 2nd or 3rd depending on how you call it)

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's impact, IMO.
Young Jai has absolutely killed it this year.

No second year blues for Maximum Poowong!

End of the day Newk and Daicos are both excellent young players and will be stars of the comp for the next ten years.

Determining which has had the better year is a matter of degrees and very subjective.

What is not subjective is that both the Pies and the Hawks have a couple of ripper young players (except ours was picked up at the local Aldi in the stock clearance section whereas Pies paid top dollar at Myer 🤣)
Pies actually got in at the Boxing Day sale.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
End of the day Newk and Daicos are both excellent young players and will be stars of the comp for the next ten years.

Determining which has had the better year is a matter of degrees and very subjective.

What is not subjective is that both the Pies and the Hawks have a couple of ripper young players (except ours was picked up at the local Aldi in the stock clearance section whereas Pies paid top dollar at Myer 🤣)

SDK too.

Three very different players, but three serious talents that will be sharing multiple AA jersey's in their careers.

All three are worthy Rising Star winners, all three would win it most years.

They've all had serious impact for their clubs this year.

That's impact, IMO.
Didnt expect that Jai would be leading Daicos for metres gained. That stat is what I thought would define the way Daicos plays - high possession and high run and carry over distance. That is a stat that leans pretty heavily towards Jai along with the fact that in all the categories that Daicos is leading Jai is 2nd or 3rd compared to those that Jai is leading Daicos is behind others - the question is how far behind is Jai on the numbers? Is Daicos head and shoulders clear above him?

Didnt expect that Jai would be leading Daicos for metres gained. That stat is what I thought would define the way Daicos plays - high possession and high run and carry over distance. That is a stat that leans pretty heavily towards Jai along with the fact that in all the categories that Daicos is leading Jai is 2nd or 3rd compared to those that Jai is leading Daicos is behind others - the question is how far behind is Jai on the numbers? Is Daicos head and shoulders clear above him?
Consider the gap opens even more if you control for disposals. Nuke doesn't just gain more ground, he gains more ground per disposal. And that's without the advantage of getting it handed off to him in space off half back to kick long down the line. So much of it is winning the contested ball, breaking away from congestion and driving it inside 50.

Would add Nic Martin to that as well, he and Newcombe being so good pretty much straight away is a great example of how underutilised the state leagues are.

All told, Jai is about 4 disposals per game behind.

North 3 they don’t usually rate Forwards, 2 v the Cats as Mitchell was huge.

Messrs Mitchell and Scott politely disagree.

68083751-AC09-4D45-90F9-B6819F81F823.jpeg

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Messrs Mitchell and Scott politely disagree.

View attachment 1466010
Newcombe was good, Mitchell was key to the comeback and I think he gets the three. However I don’t mind either way. But he was also better than Sicily and Stewart and they got that wrong. Sicily would get 1 vote Brownlow night imo.

Don’t see you disagreeing with the North game however? Jai 3 there imo.

Newcombe was good, Mitchell was key to the comeback and I think he gets the three. However I don’t mind either way. But he was also better than Sicily and Stewart and they got that wrong. Sicily would get 1 vote Brownlow night imo.

Don’t see you disagreeing with the North game however? Jai 3 there imo.

It might be the midfielders medal but umpires probably won’t overlook a bloke who had 17 disposals and kicked 5.4.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It might be the midfielders medal but umpires probably won’t overlook a bloke who had 17 disposals and kicked 5.4.
I wouldn’t put it past them especially considering he kicked 2 himself while having 30 (15 contested) and 9 clearances.

Although who knows.

I wouldn’t put it past them especially considering he kicked 2 himself while having 30 (15 contested) and 9 clearances.

Although who knows.
It also literally doesn't matter as he's not in the running to win the Brownlow...

this year.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It also literally doesn't matter as he's not in the running to win the Brownlow...

this year.
Fair but I’d like to see as many votes for him, it’ll show how good a year he’s had in the eyes of the umps. The coaches have already shown there’s as they’re posted weekly.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Would add Nic Martin to that as well, he and Newcombe being so good pretty much straight away is a great example of how underutilised the state leagues are.

Maybe they should raise the draft age.

Have the Under 18 still the same age but have the kids play a year or 2 in state leagues before being drafted at 20 draft age.

Back