Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

78% time on ground is pretty good. Mitchell was 85%.

Natural development will get him there.

There you go again spoiling my point with facts. ;-)

Seriously though, I saw him on the bench a lot, think I must have been keeping an eye out for it because I have way over estimated the time he spent there.

Cant wait to see what kind of pressure he can put on Merrett and Parish this week. Could really help us snag the win, if they're not walking it out of the centre like they can.

Would love to see him go head to head with Parish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14 tackles on debut, thats probably guarranteed you selection, we need them to be good because these are our future players
The crazy thing is even if he got half as many with 7 tackles he'd still have got equal team high and been one off match high (JPK had 8).

Even with just that we'd still be talking about how it was an awesome debut and he's obviously a tackling machine.

Interesting Bramble said he was looking forward to playing with Jai in the AFL for his first game, just shows how well regarded he is on and off the field! Have a ripper here

I'm not surprised Bramble has said that.

I reckon anyone that's played club football can relate - you just love to play with players that play the game like Jai does.

Good little article about Jai and his rise to fame and becoming an AFL footballer

This kid is an animal, he played two matches of footy in a row… he is an absolute work horse. I don’t think we have even scratched the surface yet once he gets some full pre seasons in.

Im pumped to watch him torch the bombers.

“Poowong seniors, he regularly offered to double-up and play another game in the under 18s on the same weekend

This kid is an animal, he played two matches of footy in a row… he is an absolute work horse. I don’t think we have even scratched the surface yet once he gets some full pre seasons in.

Im pumped to watch him torch the bombers.

“Poowong seniors, he regularly offered to double-up and play another game in the under 18s on the same weekend

It’s kind of like how Isaac Smith’s rise through to AFL system but with North Ballarat instead.

Dog day for our entire midfield who were comprehensively spanked. Doesn't help when the oppo ruckman has a free reign. Still got stuck in and did some great defensive things. Needs to find the ball more.

Got caught ball watching a fair bit and spent the game mostly flat footed in the contest so was always a couple steps behind his player. He also probably learnt the midfield structures a bit better being at the club an extra week which isn't a good thing .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back