Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Because your hyperbole is remarkable.

So, which of Sewell's games did you watch? As between 2006 - 2012 he was the absolute bull.
Yeah a fair amount between that time, no doubt he was a bull, just think ceiling wise Jai could surpass. It's not a he will, should or anything it's a could.

Think he needs to slim down a bit. His body is a bit too big for a modern mid.

Would love to see his endurance numbers
Endurance wise isn't great but his overall speed and especially is explosive speed is really good, if he got his abs area, chest, legs a little down added some more toning he'd get quicker and improve his endurance side while still keeping his unreal strength.

Endurance wise isn't great but his overall speed and especially is explosive speed is really good, if he got his abs area, chest, legs a little down added some more toning he'd get quicker and improve his endurance side while still keeping his unreal strength.
Would also like just a little more agility and lateral movement improvemenot.

Yeah i agree, but overall his body atm is in really good nick, he's only 19 too with a pre season, will improve agility, speed and endurance and keep alot of strength. He's in for a big 2022.
The biggest upside for me, he was never in an elite program. Full preseason under professional coaching improving his kicking

Missed out on the rising star nom....went to Bowey of Melbourne....

for 18 disp and 6 marks..........

In his third game. So not even a 'good stuff for the rest of the year, here's a late token nomination'.

I'm genuinely stunned.

Can all of you with Twitter please start @ing everybody in the industry to make this travesty known please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed out on the rising star nom....went to Bowey of Melbourne....

for 18 disp and 6 marks..........

Jake Bowey played well offensively and below average defensively (0 tackles, 10 pressure acts) in a top 4 team playing a bottom 4 team.
Newcombe played well offensively and was elite defensively (11 tackles and 31 pressure acts) in a bottom 4 team playing a top 4 team.

It’s difficult to fathom what the 3 chosen people (for round 22 Rising Star nomination) from this group were thinking: Gillon McLachlan (chair), Kevin Bartlett, Jude Bolton, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson, Nick Riewoldt, Kevin Sheehan (NAB AFL Rising Star only), Warren Tredrea.

Numbers don’t always tell the story, but in this case…
61334970-0C2A-4B78-BE35-0FBB11400DF6.jpeg
83% Disposal Efficiency, 7 Contested Possessions, 9 Uncontested possessions, 6 turnovers, 5 intercepts, 10 pressure acts, 285 meters gained, 95 mins on ground.

0C6A4EC3-B929-42EE-8614-B9EA93B9A244.jpeg
89% Disposal Efficiency, 5 Contested Possessions, 13 Uncontested possessions, 2 turnovers, 2 intercepts, 31 pressure acts, 237 meters gained, 94 mins on ground.

Last edited:
Where does Jai fit in with Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel all available? In my opinion he is a natural inside midfielder. With a full preseason under his belt could he play more outside? We certainly should not be recruiting inside midfielders in the upcoming national draft.

Where does Jai fit in with Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel all available? In my opinion he is a natural inside midfielder. With a full preseason under his belt could he play more outside? We certainly should not be recruiting inside midfielders in the upcoming national draft.
He's different to those 3 and has made them play better in the past while playing together so it's no issue.

I don’t want the Duke to get leaner, get fitter of course but don’t lose that size. I want him to build a reputation, the opposition to have this perceived pressure that if I go near the ball in a stoppage I will get hit hard …… like the Hawthorn of old! This ingredient is so important playing finals footy. Love that piece of BH footage when Sammy saids, “who is the toughest in the side? Everyone says Jai (unanimous). He’s 19, you’re 19 aren’t you Jai. Well everyone go out and bring a bit more of the Jai in you”!

Love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back