Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he needs to slim down a bit. His body is a bit too big for a modern mid.

Would love to see his endurance numbers
I wouldn’t want him to drop any bodyweight. Stats have him at 186 cm and 85 kg. He plays heavier than that with both strength and lacking endurance.

But you would think given those numbers he has room to put on a couple of kilos. I wonder what his skin folds are?

I am hoping once he has a couple of preseasons under his belt and starts to realise his strength he can push fwd as a difficult one on one player.
He does look to have the physical attributes to do that in the way Michael Voss did with great effect.

Would be a massive win as none of the other mids fit that description.

Think he needs to slim down a bit. His body is a bit too big for a modern mid.

Would love to see his endurance numbers
Our way is definitely to strip them down but in one of his interviews he talked about not getting drafted and he said he went away and built himself up and hasn't looked back since so I dunno where the sweet spot is for him.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do not take weight off him, his fitness levels will increase naturally with a full pre season.

No reason you can't run out an AFL game as a modern mid in the mid 80 kg's. Keep the weight on and turn him in to a bull, develop his forward craft going forward because he will be a tough match up.

Do not take weight off him, his fitness levels will increase naturally with a full pre season.

No reason you can't run out an AFL game as a modern mid in the mid 80 kg's. Keep the weight on and turn him in to a bull, develop his forward craft going forward because he will be a tough match up.
Thing is he's a bull, but he has actually heaps of class and is a good kick which can turn into an even better kick with an actual pre season.

Pretty sure Wines is over 90kg and he has little problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Wines case, it is all head.
Very top heavy.

Sure he has a square head but have you seen the legs on the bloke? Surprised he isn't sponsored by 3B Action Cream.

Watch Phillips, at first he was torn between making space and going in to help, then as the spin started he completely committed to making space. Reminds me of Breust in the 2015 GF when he was running in to tackle saw the ball mid flight, KNEW rioli was intercepting the handball and changed direction before rioli even had the ball, creating space, which he then used to give off to puopolo who kicked it down field for a goal. Seeing that raises Phillips in my esteem substantially.

depends on his BF%

without an actual professional prep its pretty likely he could drop a few kegs without losing much of his power while still gaining agility

eg. if he's around 15-17, hell even 13-14%, he could drop down to below 12 which would help his endurance, speed, agility, vertical etc. while maintaining majority of his present muscle mass

depends on his BF%

without an actual professional prep its pretty likely he could drop a few kegs without losing much of his power while still gaining agility

eg. if he's around 15-17, hell even 13-14%, he could drop down to below 12 which would help his endurance, speed, agility, vertical etc. while maintaining majority of his present muscle mass
No reason we can’t add muscle to at least keep his current weight, especially if he is dropping body fat%.

Serong from freo is 7 cm shorter yet listed at the same weight. So there’s no reason duke can’t put on some extra weight. He’s lighter than a normal mid of his height.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I see too much puppy fat on Jai at all
Man is very big and the shots they've shown of him topless there doesn't seem to be too much by the way of skin folds.
I'd imagine with a full preseason he'll be as big, but more muscle efficient which is significantly better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back