Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Wines is over 90kg and he has little problem.

During Fox Footy's coverage of a Port game a few weeks back they said Wines is playing at 100 kegs which is insane, serious freak.

Sam Mitchell's mantra of playing to his guy's strengths will probably mean we don't slim down Jai in anyway. I think Sammy would rather him hone his inside craft than to become a jack of all trades.

Sam Mitchell's mantra of playing to his guy's strengths will probably mean we don't slim down Jai in anyway. I think Sammy would rather him hone his inside craft than to become a jack of all trades.

I hope so. I'd like Jai extracting the ball and delivering pain to oppo mids, not dashing up and down the wing.

He is still only 20.
He will probably add more muscle and weight as his body develops and matures.
I suspect he will be quite different after 4 or 5 years in the system.

I don’t want the Duke to get leaner, get fitter of course but don’t lose that size. I want him to build a reputation, the opposition to have this perceived pressure that if I go near the ball in a stoppage I will get hit hard …… like the Hawthorn of old! This ingredient is so important playing finals footy. Love that piece of BH footage when Sammy saids, “who is the toughest in the side? Everyone says Jai (unanimous). He’s 19, you’re 19 aren’t you Jai. Well everyone go out and bring a bit more of the Jai in you”!

Love it.

Lewis slimmed down and was still hard at the man and ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

depends on his BF%

without an actual professional prep its pretty likely he could drop a few kegs without losing much of his power while still gaining agility

eg. if he's around 15-17, hell even 13-14%, he could drop down to below 12 which would help his endurance, speed, agility, vertical etc. while maintaining majority of his present muscle mass
Forgive me for misunderstanding at first, but I wasn't aware that Big Footy Percentage was a thing :p

I'm super excited to see what Jai could become with a full AFL preseason

Has shown he belongs at the level in his tastes this year, and not only belonged but took on bigger bodies as the crash and bash midfielder. The man is a tackling machine!

Yep the challenge for him is to get mor eof the footy. expect after another pre-season his team mates will be more comfortable going to him, whereas at the moment expect they look for Mitchell, JOM, Worps, Shiels, Wings, etc.

Great find by the club and hope he has a big and injury free pre-season.

Who would you rather, Newcombe or W. Phillips?
Similar midifield brutes. Phillips is probably a better runner, but let's see after Newcombe has a pre-season.
If you take in the price, Duke everyday.
Seems to me Duke tackles a lot more than Phillips

I think we can disregard price to make the comparison with Phillips just on talent alone.
Phillips will beome a fine player in time.

It's not yet apparent to many just how much of a bargain we got with Newcombe and Bramble.
These guys are first round talents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back