Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

So did Hodge and Burgers.
I remember Buddy in 09' put on about a kilo with good skin folds and everyone in the league was flipping their s**t calling him fat. Thus begun heavy tackling, run around the entire field Buddy.

Really, talent is talent. As long as they are fit who cares, I certainly didn't watching Dew. For everyone attributing increased muscle mass to their playing ability, like you say there's a guy slimming down and reviving their career.

Reckon he can get thru a whole season at the top level?
If he is fit I can't see him being left out of the side tbh.
Won't get the respect outside of our club, but I think the kid is an exceptional talent!

It feels like this preseason they've spent a fair bit of time working with him moving into the front half of the ground and spending more time inside 50- as someone raised earlier/in another thread if he can develop into a bollocking inside mid who can rest forward he's going to be one of the most useful first/second year players this season.

The footage from the intra really inspired me tbh- him bursting down the wing a couple times to deliver inside 50 to a forwards advantage, and him taking a great mark whilst copping a smack across the nose was tremendous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon he can get thru a whole season at the top level?
The story from last year was he was playing two local games of footy in one day, Amos into seniors I think, I’d say that’s a good indicator he will be fit enough after an afl pre season, give him 3 pre seasons and he will be elite and even if his not this year he just never quits.

Kid plays 22 games. Mitchell has consistently trotted out the 'hard and tough' line this preseason - that should tell you all you need to know.
I agree he is best 22 when fit. He did tire last season and I suspect will again during the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back