Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously it's only one game, but Duke's tackling appears to be on another level. It may be that he and Shiels will have comparable numbers, but Shiels never tackled and buried people/drove them into the ground like the Duke was doing. Those huge pipes of the and the thicc thighs help. He's like a lion bringing down his prey.

TBH I'm expecting that he will give away a few free kicks with his tackles, but if he goes that hard every game then it will be worth it.

Shiels did/does tackle like that though? Short memory me thinks.

Obviously it's only one game, but Duke's tackling appears to be on another level. It may be that he and Shiels will have comparable numbers, but Shiels never tackled and buried people/drove them into the ground like the Duke was doing. Those huge pipes of the and the thicc thighs help. He's like a lion bringing down his prey.

TBH I'm expecting that he will give away a few free kicks with his tackles, but if he goes that hard every game then it will be worth it.
Yeah I was really impressed by his strength and technique to bring players to ground, and also scrapping for the ball on the ground without diving on the ball.

Seems like the type of player that really improves those around him. Aside from the incredible defensive display it was things like busting a gut to shepherd for teammates after disposing the ball or taking the heat on himself before cleanly disposing to a teammate. Even showed some good snippets of offensive play.

Add some class around him and watch him thrive.

I loved that at one stage he had 12 attempted tackles for 11 effective tackles. He sticks them

Never said anything about keeping GW and as for coach decision has already been made some time ago by himself to move on.
That's a few times you've posted that Clarko has decided to move on (or along those lines).

Please clarify whether this is mail/inside info or your opinion/guess?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jai and JOM currently housemates.

Jai is going to learn a lot from Jaeger and it already looks like they’ve built a bit of a bond.
just the ideal teammate to live with. Will show him what he needs to do to prepare and be a footballer. From where he's come from to now, can't wait to see what he's like after 50 games and a few years in an elite system

Just loved that he pushed Luke Parker around in the centre square. Parker is a 10 year AFL veteran and a nugget and Jai in his first game was able to exert physical influence. A couple of pre seasons and he is going to be an absolute beauty. Couple of brilliant quick
.handballs he gave too.

Just loved that he pushed Luke Parker around in the centre square. Parker is a 10 year AFL veteran and a nugget and Jai in his first game was able to exert physical influence. A couple of pre seasons and he is going to be an absolute beauty. Couple of brilliant quick
.handballs he gave too.
This is what was really impressive for me. Obviously the tackling and hardness was great, but I really liked how clean he was, didn’t fumble and would gather and handball in a flash. That’s exactly what we need to build around with outside class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back