Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things just stood out like the proverbial about Jai's debut.
One, talk about traits that translate across league levels. When you have tackling instincts like that as well as the almost perfect form to carry them out, you're not 'competing' against anyone who can deny you. You're a show unto yourself. Also the awareness of who's around him and how to fire off the handball....plenty of players 6-7 years into their careers still have to pause after taking possession to look around and assess and think through what they want to do.
Those two things don't rely on form and opponent and he should be able to carry them with him as long as he's up and about.

Two, how about not looking out of place? That's pretty hard for most early in their careers, but the kid just assumed it was his turn to go whenever he wanted and made sense. Didn't wait and watch to see if his big name teammates would do the lifting or directing first, he just smelled out the right moment to give it his best to intrude on the game.
Geez that's an impressive thing.

Sydney along with Adelaide were seen as the two main threats of taking Jai if we didn’t select his at pick 2 in the MSD. How disheartening would it have been if we didn’t take him and had to sit through watching him smashing our players all night. A lot to look forward to here!!

Jai playing for another team whilst we had an opportunity to draft him to our Great club.

I rather starved myself of good life or to be sent to rot in a Crapola place!

He makes my life Happy and Complete 😊💪LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TO standing there too FAF As the beast flash’s past and shows him whats expected going fwd.
Um... this is what has caused our ladder position. Everyone going in on the tackle like 5 year olds.

one person goes in for the tackle, if he sticks it, great if not, the rest are there to make sure it gets out to a contest. Far too many times this year, three guys have tackled an opposition player and not stuck the tackle (grabbed them around the waist or whatever) leaving the guy free to handball it. Because three guys are involved in the tackle, two opposition guys are standing nearby unchecked. They run off with the handball received and away they go.

Last edited:
Um... this is what has caused our ladder position. Everyone going in on the tackle like 5 year olds.

one person goes in for the tackle, if he sticks it, great if not, the rest are there to make sure it gets out to a contest. Far too many times this year, three guys have tackled an opposition player and not stuck the tackle (grabbed them around the waist or whatever) leaving the guy free to handball it. Because three guys are involved in the tackle, two opposition guys are standing nearby unchecked. They run off with the handball received and away they go.
You trying to tell me TO knew Jai was coming ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back