Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Still think his a step behind in just getting to terms in general play but moves well in tight, just needs time to come to terms with the speed of game and the positioning.

it’s strange players don’t choose him for a short pass as the outlet when he is a quality kick - he is often in space around
The arks

Still think his a step behind in just getting to terms in general play but moves well in tight, just needs time to come to terms with the speed of game and the positioning.

it’s strange players don’t choose him for a short pass as the outlet when he is a quality kick - he is often in space around
The arks
Noticed that, even when he is in corridor for short pass or in forward all alone, he is mostly ignored, apart from Scrimshaw

Personally I think his best attribute is the mindset to wait wit the ball. So many times he's had the ball in the middle of a pack and he waits that split second to free the team mate up allowing him to get clear and find space. You can't coach that.

You have to consider that only weeks ago he was travelling a few hours each day to and from the country, just to get to Box Hill training. He's physically developed, but doesn't have the miles in his legs of others his age.

Did he not get called up by Box Hill during the pre-season anyway? Meaning he hasn't even done a whole VFL level pre-season yet.

Last edited:
He doesn't need to get bigger IMO.
Emphasis should be on running and power.
There it is. He doesn't get many cheapies behind the ball, he isn't regularly used to link-up in general play & I'm sure his ToG isn't what other players might get.

This will organically improve as he builds a tank, can then find space & is more able to run 'end to end' or wide to receive.

I think he'll naturally improve over the next 2 years (this off-season & next) just by building his tank & developing a secondary role so he complements better the midfield rotation.

Just to throw another name into the mix, I see Bramble as a Shiels type player myself.
No chance, Bramble has what Shiels could only dream of. Elite skills both feet, can play inside and outside and has been know to be good around clearances but also good as a winger. Elite endurance and elite speed yeah enough said. More of a Sam Mitchell type operator (also a good tackler).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way Jai goes about his business and think he has the tools to make it.

But it shows how shallow our midfield depth is that we are playing a mid season draftee who hasn't even had a VFL preseason.

He obviously (through no fault of his) doesn't have the tank to compete currently and is coming from a long way back compared to pretty much every other player on our list.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes next year with a proper AFL pre-season under his belt, I think it will make a huge difference.

I like the way Jai goes about his business and think he has the tools to make it.

But it shows how shallow our midfield depth is that we are playing a mid season draftee who hasn't even had a VFL preseason.

He obviously (through no fault of his) doesn't have the tank to compete currently and is coming from a long way back compared to pretty much every other player on our list.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes next year with a proper AFL pre-season under his belt, I think it will make a huge difference.
I think that's the key with Duke.
The half season he would of completed then a full pre-season under our system will see him excel I reckon
Looking forward to seeing the 2022 version of Duke Newcombe.

Sadly he is OUT this week (Managed). He does look like he has run out of puff.

I am so encouraged by his defensive aspect to his game. I am not sure if its natural or Sam has given him a few pointers.

I hope he can turn into a better version of Ben Cunnington.

Sadly he is OUT this week (Managed). He does look like he has run out of puff.

I am so encouraged by his defensive aspect to his game. I am not sure if its natural or Sam has given him a few pointers.

I hope he can turn into a better version of Ben Cunnington.
Lol a better version of Cunnington is ambitious. Cunnington is a bloody gun

Lol a better version of Cunnington is ambitious. Cunnington is a bloody gun

I know. I hope he can model game similar to his.

Let's hope Sammy teach him a few a tricks. It still early days.

I rated Cunnington top 2 in his draft year. A poster in Hodge2Franklin had a boner for him.

Managed is fair. Give him a rest now and he'll be good for the rest of the year
Yup still a kid, no point running him into the ground, fresh legs in games to come will never hurt. This year seems to be the biggest jump in speed and fitness in the game ever so his done well to get through his first block.

That’s a pretty good block of games for a 19yr old inside mid done now.
He’ll enjoy getting his hands on it more at Box Hill.

With a full preseason under his belt I expect him to come back much slimmer and able to cover more ground - especially on the spread which we desperately need from our mids

I'm hoping not too much weight shed, kid is absolutely ripped already.
Also uses that muscle to stop and drop opponents in the tackle.
His next speed increase will come simply from a full preseason, to go with the confidence to read and react even faster than he already does. Kid has confidence out the yang and just needs to put a burst in at the initial push off.
He's not slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back