Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jai Serong! Pick 52, 2021 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t worry. The Club would like the brothers to be united at the HFC.

Let’s first see if Jai can start to emulate Jack (as is hoped) and where this path may take us and the family who are solid Hawks !!

Be patient, and enjoy.
Tops if my memory serves me correct
Dad is Geelong, mum I’m pretty sure was Carlton but the good part, I’m pretty sure all 3 of the boys were Hawks supporters.

Which would mean 2 of them still are & 1 of them we need to convince to come back from the dark side.

Tops if my memory serves me correct
Dad is Geelong, mum I’m pretty sure was Carlton but the good part, I’m pretty sure all 3 of the boys were Hawks supporters.

Which would mean 2 of them still are & 1 of them we need to convince to come back from the dark side.
As far as I know the family is now complete Hawks although they must have an issue when they watch Caleb.

Jack Gunston took a similar mark in his breakout game for us vs Collingwood, in which he kicked 5 goals IIRC.
It signalled to me that this guy was a proper footballer.
Whenever I see someone able to use their body and/or timing in such a clever way, it demonstrates a high level of football nous.
I hope Serong travels a similar trajectory in his development.

It may take Jai Serong 3-4 years to get acclimatised to the AFL, but I think he could be a solid third tall, and there's a chance our next premiership third tall is making his debut today. Now just to get his brother, a key forward and a small/medium forward to complete the 2026/27/28/29/30/31/32 Toyota AFL premiership side. Good luck, Jai. GO HAWKS!
Why so pessimistic about the next 3 years? Won 8 games this year so far and 3-4 extra we really should have won and another bunch we were not far off.

He needs to gain some strength to hold his feet and come through the tackle which I'm confident will happen. His genes suggest that this will happen and then lookout we have a seriously good player on our hands. Very excited about this kids potential.

Jai Serong​

“Jai really progressed as the year went on and culminated in him debuting and playing some games late in the year. He is competitive and really works hard up and down the ground and his pressure for someone of his height is very good. He’ll continue to develop his game with a good pre-season and, under the mentoring of Lewis and Gunston, he will no doubt be a real offensive threat and presence for us as he continues to strengthen his body.” David Hale

Jai Serong​

“Jai really progressed as the year went on and culminated in him debuting and playing some games late in the year. He is competitive and really works hard up and down the ground and his pressure for someone of his height is very good. He’ll continue to develop his game with a good pre-season and, under the mentoring of Lewis and Gunston, he will no doubt be a real offensive threat and presence for us as he continues to strengthen his body.” David Hale
Bang!!
Gunston ain’t going anywhere!!

From these training pics today Serong is maturing and looking fit …… got that lean stringy/strong look about him. Hoping he will pinch hit and get some time in the middle. At 6’ 4 he’s a good size
Worpel looks like he has fined down too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was first in to grab Sic and get him off Butler. Wouldn’t let him go either, which was good to see.

Serong has been named in the VFL against Southport this week for his first game for the year.

His two best games last year in the VFL was when he played one of them in the ruck and the other on the wing. I hope he gets tried up the ground.

I don’t think he impacted games enough as a half forward, but playing him in a new role might be the key to unlocking his full potential.

Serong has been named in the VFL against Southport this week for his first game for the year.

His two best games last year in the VFL was when he played one of them in the ruck and the other on the wing. I hope he gets tried up the ground.

I don’t think he impacted games enough as a half forward, but playing him in a new role might be the key to unlocking his full potential.
I got the impression that for a lightly framed youngster in a largely unrewarding position, the consensus was that he did an outstanding job, hence the debut.

I'm glad that he's managed to overcome the pericarditis so quickly and I really hope the drop in conditioning hasn't left him behind the eight-ball for the rest of the year. Our forward line isn't littered with players who can grab the ball overhead, so a few good showings for Box Hill could have him in the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back