Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid can find the footy, no doubt.
Does not have a second string or the tank to get to more contests at afl level.
I can’t remember who said it but a Caddy like role would be perfect if he could play forward & put on a little more weight.
He looks to be in the “Sheils type” mid range as a pure midfield player & that alone will keep him out of the team unfortunately.
We absolutely don’t have a genuine mid who can play big minutes forward & have just as big an impact. We’ve tried it the other way in hope but Poppy, Breust, Cyril, Langford.... actually not Langford in this, only pinch hit & are forward players.

To have a 185cm 85kg marking mid who can be a forward/mid would be a little icing to the list.

I reckon we want Burton to be this guy. Just need to find someone to fill Burto's role at HB.

I reckon we want Burton to be this guy. Just need to find someone to fill Burto's role at HB.
I think Burton will be that guy as well & why we would have been considering MM. TOB playing defensive may play a hand to Burton going forward.
Re Cousins... bigger tank, more contests... more games

He is our 4th slowish inside mid.
Titchell
Shiel
Howe
Cousins
Howe is actually not that slow. Was the fastest top speed on the weekends game for both teams.

So Cuz will be on the rookie list next year.

I suppose we could always upgrade him ahead of schedule if we found ourselves with a spare spot. Only benefit to Hawthorn would be avoiding a 2 yr contract for a late stage national draftee we would be more tentative on.
The rookie list as we know it will be no more next year. All players can be played without needing be 'elevated'.

Howe is actually not that slow. Was the fastest top speed on the weekends game for both teams.

The rookie list as we know it will be no more next year. All players can be played without needing be 'elevated'.

Howe is slow
He takes a long time to get to top speed

Hi folks,
Just wondering if Cousins will get games next season. Thinking of trading for him in a fantasy league.
Cheers.

Not if we pick up another A-Grade mid. Bit down the pecking order, so unless he improves even more out of sight he'll struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the only final they played together, Howe demonstrated he is a class above vfl. Cousins worked very hard but didn’t have howe’s influence on the game.
Yes like i said he clears a path. This is his role. He gets judged on that

In the only final they played together, Howe demonstrated he is a class above vfl. Cousins worked very hard but didn’t have howe’s influence on the game.
Cousins had 31 touches, 25 kicks, 9 inside fifties and a goal and 2 behinds. He had a great game. Set up multiple goals aswell

Cousins had 31 touches, 25 kicks, 9 inside fifties and a goal and 2 behinds. He had a great game. Set up multiple goals aswell
Yep ablett had 35 in the 2008 grand final. Yet hodge had the more influence and norm smith

Yep ablett had 35 in the 2008 grand final. Yet hodge had the more influence and norm smith
Cousins had a hand in about 6 of our goals that day, did u actually watch? Howe was good towards the end of the game, but cousins was involved in nearly every bit of our good play for the day

Cousins had a hand in about 6 of our goals that day, did u actually watch? Howe was good towards the end of the game, but cousins was involved in nearly every bit of our good play for the day

I watched the game mate cousins was good even great but howe was doing all the heavy lifting. Some of the contests he was involved in late in the game were pivotal in us winning. Thats my point he fills that role at AFL level. Unfortunately for cuz there are others that fill his role better than he does at AFL level this is what ppl keep forgetting. When ure picked to play clarko has identified a role for u. He thinks u r the best candidate to fill that role.

Further to my comments above clarko identified a role for hodge late in 2008. Was he the one picking up possessions or kicking goals nope. Yet i will say had Hodhe not played the role he did we wouldnt have made the grand final and wouldnt have won it

Further to my comments above clarko identified a role for hodge late in 2008. Was he the one picking up possessions or kicking goals nope. Yet i will say had Hodhe not played the role he did we wouldnt have made the grand final and wouldnt have won it
Let’s not get too excited by comparing howes role to Hodges in 08

Cousins definitely has a place in the best 22 next year if he can work on a few areas. At this stage he’s clearly ahead of Lovell and O’Rourke in the pecking order but just behind Worpel.

Naah the reference is to the role. It may appear insignificant to start with but it is a role he was picked to play
I just feel his role is too similar to shiels, a role that shiels does better, and is still only 27 so gonna be awhile before he is pushed out. Cuz is a more pure mid from what I’ve seen, I agree that cuz has slightly less versatility but I don’t think Howe is a great forward or defender really

Cousins definitely has a place in the best 22 next year if he can work on a few areas. At this stage he’s clearly ahead of Lovell and O’Rourke in the pecking order but just behind Worpel.

Hope he has a great game today, we win and it sets him up for a huge pre-season and a gig in round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back