Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, he went at pick 43 because he was only capable of 3 top 10 B&F finishes in his first 4 seasons.
Being on the cusp of the elite in the competition within your first 3-4 seasons is hardly battling.
Worpel is doing just fine.
Now that is an odd and ill-conceived reply.

As at 2017 he had identifiable shortcomings (kicking and decision making). Neither of those have improved at AFL level to the point where he can be considered an A grader.

He won the Hawthorn B&F in 2019 on the back of his physicality, inside work and courage, not his decision making in space.

Unless/until he can add the other strings to his bow, given oppositions now respect him, he will not return to the heights of 2019.

Its pretty obvious to many and I’m not writing him off I’m simply pointing out that he has work to do in that area.

Unless you want to tell me he’s as good by foot as the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Clark, Bailey, D. Fogarty, T. Kelly, Ryan, Daniels, Spargo, Fritsch, etc. who were all taken ahead of him ……. because they used the ball much better by foot and continue to do so.

As at 2017 he had identifiable shortcomings (kicking and decision making). Neither of those have improved at AFL level to the point where he can be considered an A grader.

He won the Hawthorn B&F in 2019 on the back of his physicality, inside work and courage, not his decision making in space.

Unless/until he can add the other strings to his bow, given oppositions now respect him, he will not return to the heights of 2019.

Its pretty obvious to many and I’m not writing him off I’m simply pointing out that he has work to do in that area.

Unless you want to tell me he’s as good by foot as the likes of Brayshaw, Cerra, Clark, Bailey, D. Fogarty, T. Kelly, Ryan, Daniels, Spargo, Fritsch, etc. who were all taken ahead of him ……. because they used the ball much better by foot and continue to do so.

I 100% agree that James has a lot to work on to really become the key piece in our midfield. Even if he never becomes an A-grader, if he can play a role like Shiels did through our three-peat then he has still been an awesome pick-up and will become a 200+ game Hawthorn legend.

However, he has time on his side and I think has shown an upside (particularly re: goalkicking) that Shiels never did. I believe (or hope) that he can become the Brownlow-threatening midfielder we all want him to become. There are just, as you say, identifiable weaknesses he simply must improve to get to that level.

That said, he's only in his 4th full season now (think he played 50% of games in 2018? and a lot of it as a fwd?), and it is usually the 4th year and around his age of 22-23 when mids really start to put it together, peaking at 25-29. So, he has time to figure it out.

Wasn't Jordan Lewis' at a similar trajectory at around the same age/games played?

Too much wrong with this post to address everything.
Worpel slipped in the draft because the clubs got it wrong.

Too much wrong with this post to address everything.
Worpel slipped in the draft because the clubs got it wrong.

There are quite a few good players that have come out of the draft. Worpel was overlooked due to his skill level and being more physically developed than his contemporaries - which was a mistake for many teams in hindsight.

If we were to do it over again the only players that I'd take over Worpel would be:
1) A. Brayshaw
2) A. Naughton
3) S. Taylor
4) A. Cerra

Rayner was cruelled by injury this season, otherwise he'd likely be wedged in there too. Kelly is better, but four years older.

After that there's a fair chunk of good players: Z. Bailey, J. Stephenson, LDU, B. Fritsch, T. McCartin, T. Petty, Flyin Ryan, O. Allen, H. Clark, N. Balta, J. Higgins, C. Ballard, W. Powell, B. Starcevich, C. Spargo, G. Miers, C. Coleman-Jones, and our very own Moore. Quite a decent group all told that was surprisingly good for Kid's.

Your logic wtf. You can be the worst kick and be a shocking decision maker and still be A Grade. Wines is a terrible kick and isn't good decision making wise but is A Grade and won a brownlow.

Worpel isn't a bad kick, he's actually pre good (technique wise) its really only his decision making and him rushing.

There are quite a few good players that have come out of the draft. Worpel was overlooked due to his skill level and being more physically developed than his contemporaries - which was a mistake for many teams in hindsight.

If we were to do it over again the only players that I'd take over Worpel would be:
1) A. Brayshaw
2) A. Naughton
3) S. Taylor
4) A. Cerra

Rayner was cruelled by injury this season, otherwise he'd likely be wedged in there too. Kelly is better, but four years older.

After that there's a fair chunk of good players: Z. Bailey, J. Stephenson, LDU, B. Fritsch, T. McCartin, T. Petty, Flyin Ryan, O. Allen, H. Clark, N. Balta, J. Higgins, C. Ballard, W. Powell, B. Starcevich, C. Spargo, G. Miers, C. Coleman-Jones, and our very own Moore. Quite a decent group all told that was surprisingly good for Kid's.
I wouldn't take Andy over him, feel Worps and him are pretty much even.

I wouldn't take Andy over him, feel Worps and him are pretty much even.
Bradshaw is the better player, he was unbelievable this year. Do yourself a favour and watch his game against richmond late in the year. Absolutely enormous effort, and I hate to say it but he was selwood like (in his prime). Better kick, covers the ground better. I rate worpel as a player but Brayshaw is on a different level

Bradshaw is the better player, he was unbelievable this year. Do yourself a favour and watch his game against richmond late in the year. Absolutely enormous effort, and I hate to say it but he was selwood like (in his prime). Better kick, covers the ground better. I rate worpel as a player but Brayshaw is on a different level
I was talking to this point as a career. I like both, think both have different qualities. Both good leaders tho.

Brayshaw will be a star, but i still have that same vision for Worpel. I see Brayshaw as a bit of a mix, he's not a creative ball handler, by hand etc. But he can be by foot. While i see Worpel as creative by hand and less by foot. Still think Worpels main issue is decision making and rushing because he is a good kick by definition as he gets a lot of penetration and can pull off some really good kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was talking over careers.
2019 aside I think you’ll find Brayshaw has been better than Worpel for those other 3 seasons.

Which is to be expected quite frankly.

He will captain them eventually and was a deserved #2 pick.

Clearly the most consistent of that entire draft year. Flies under the radar because he is in WA but that’s no surprise.

1) A. Brayshaw
2) A. Naughton
3) S. Taylor
4) A. Cerra
I'd add Bailey, Fritsch, Allen, Coffield, Balta and Petty. All better footballers at this stage.

Who knows what Worpel will become but at least he has the right support around him to thrive.

I'd add Bailey, Fritsch, Allen, Coffield, Balta and Petty. All better footballers at this stage.

Who knows what Worpel will become but at least he has the right support around him to thrive.

Depending on needs there might even be a few clubs who would take Moorey before Worpel in a redraft.

Doesn't change the fact that Worps is a 19 year B&F winner and a very vital and reliable cog in our midfield. I still expect him to carve out a 250 game career and snatch one more B&F before it's all done. Could see him tracking similarly to Ben Cunnington where he gets to around 28/29 and suddenly people realise how good and consistent his entire career has been.

1) A. Brayshaw
2) A. Naughton
3) S. Taylor
4) A. Cerra

Gee mate, I would trade Worpel in a heartbeat for Zac Bailey. That kids going to be a star. Would love to find a version of him in this years draft. Capable of playing half forward as he develops.

You'd be fired as a recruiter if you took Worps over Oscar Allen also sorry mate, ha. He was overhyped, mainly Gerrard Healy, but he's a serious talent that can play key position at both ends.

Last edited:

1) A. Brayshaw
2) A. Naughton
3) S. Taylor
4) A. Cerra

I'd probably take all those guys above Worpel tbh, not sure how much scope Worpel has left in his game, I get the feeling 2019 will be the best season of his career.

2019 aside I think you’ll find Brayshaw has been better than Worpel for those other 3 seasons.

Which is to be expected quite frankly.

He will captain them eventually and was a deserved #2 pick.

Clearly the most consistent of that entire draft year. Flies under the radar because he is in WA but that’s no surprise.
I would say from 19 to now, 19 to Worpel, 20 was basically even neither very good and 21 Andy.

Gee mate, I would trade Worpel in a heartbeat for Zac Bailey. That kids going to be a star. Would love to find a version of him in this years draft. Capable of playing half forward as he develops.

You'd be fired as a recruiter if you took Worps over Oscar Allen also sorry mate, ha. He was overhyped, mainly Gerrard Healy, but he's a serious talent that can play key position at both ends.

Yeah that's fair enough. I do really rate Bailey (as per my posting history about him), and for us right now I think I'd prefer him in our side to Worpel. But I just want to see him make more of a move into the midfield, he's got another level to go to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back