Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony of Worpels downturn in form is he is one of the players we most need in form
At the moment.

If he can lift in the back half of the season it would completely change our midfield dynamic - and maybe that comes with chad, they had really good connection in the past so give them minutes together

We desperately need some campaigner in our side. If Worps can't get back to his best than I'd have him watch some Mitch Robinson footage. Robinson isn't the brightest or the most skillful but he goes harder at the ball and man than 99% of other players. Carved out a very nice career for himself.

He played a big part in getting Brisbane to where they are now. Worps has the higher ceiling but I wouldn't mind that to be his floor. Right now he is miles off it.

Feel like we’ve tried to turn him into something he is not - ie tried to teach him nuance/skill and all the tricks Sam Mitchell had but that’s not his game. Every time he gets the ball seems like his brain is on fire trying to work out what to do and then he panics and boots it.

He needs to be a see ball / get ball type with unrelenting hardness at the ball and told to dish ball by hand to first option (none of this don’t argue every time). He can leave the nuance to Jai, Ward, chad, McDonald etc.

Just had a look at the stats from the weekend. He is high on pressure acts. It’s not clearances, but he is definitely putting some effort into turning things around.
Had the second lowest TOG, and had low CBA’s, considering that Tom was missing.

Had the second lowest TOG, and had low CBA’s, considering that Tom was missing.
Do we know why?

If he's injured, why are they still playing him?
If he was sick, why are they still playing him?

We've tried to play him into form, but that's gone on too long. His confidence must be very low.

Give him a some time down at a lower level to regain confidence, and give some of the kids a chance, i.e. Long.

Looks a completely different player.

Foot skills were never at Darren Jarman levels I’ll admit but he can’t hit a target atm under any sort of pressure and even under no pressure.

Biggest tell atm is the fumbling of ground balls and making himself look like he’s under immense pressure all the time regardless of the situation.

Hope he/we can sort it out. How? NFI.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems more likely that 2019 was the outlier, given the "dip in form" has lasted two and a half seasons.
4bfe571c732a53aa3a914b3be5ba215e.png

2020 when accounted for time reduction performed just as well

He has checked out
Gone
With the greatest of respect, you have absolutely no idea if he's checked out. What are you basing this on? Wish fulfilment? He's a young player struggling with form. Any other conclusion over and above this is simply speculation.

With the greatest of respect, you have absolutely no idea if he's checked out. What are you basing this on? Wish fulfilment? He's a young player struggling with form. Any other conclusion over and above this is simply speculation.
I just like throwing darts, occasionally one lands

Some posters here have longstanding reps for knowing more than the average punter.

if he goes he's a bit silly.. cliff pending s**t heap vs a building squad with mates.
If he does want out it seems a strange shift in attitude.
You would expect he had formed a strong bond with the club and with his team mates and would see the club is heading in the right direction.
You'd have to wonder why he would be considering leaving Hawks (if it is indeed the case).

Some posters here have longstanding reps for knowing more than the average punter.
Yep, certainly understand that. And I think we're always grateful for snippits of insight not available to everyone, but when someone couches their opinion as fact, then that's where the frustration sometimes kicks in. I'm not trying to have a go at this particular poster, but they literally said they were 'throwing darts'. Just adding an 'I think...' at the start might help. I know this is a forum, and I might be asking too much, but a man can dream :)

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

From my viewing, I agree with the thinking that it's all above the shoulders, multiple times he threw the ball on his boot when he's actually had a bit more time and space. Hopefully a stint at Box Hill will help with his confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back