Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d get him back in after the bye. Our midfield is a work in progress and he’s young enough to still be in the frame moving forward. There are obviously real concerns but I think he should be rewarded for going back and performing well

From Otten:

James Worpel (26 disposals, 2 goals, 8 tackles, 12 clearances)

“Worps was great for us in the inside all day, notching up 26 touches and 12 clearances including nine centre bounces. He was really sharp and clean with his hands and worked hard all day. He laid eight tackles and was able to hit the scoreboard kicking two goals for us as well.”

Very nice write up and set of stats. Have to think that warrants a recall into a side that struggles with clearances.

Does he have enough AFL characteristics to be successful?
spin hawks GIF by AFL

Good to see significant (albeit edited) vision of both Finn and Worps from the messy VFL win over North. My key observation is:

1. Both are keen to get rid of it very quickly, but it’s often messy.
2. Finn often followed up his first (erroneous) possession to clean up, but he shouldn’t need to if he is clean with the first give by hand
3. Worps is banging it on the boot by instinct (which he has done since juniors). To show improvement, at this level, he needs to be more composed and buy himself a bit more time at the contest.

The big issue for both (effort isn’t a problem) is being able to push off quickly and/or find that little bit of space coming out of the contest. This enables them to make more composed decisions. Once they start doing it at VFL level, THEN they get a shot back at AFL level.

I’m not saying either of them will become a Shaun Burgoyne or Scott Pendlebury, but they need to start showing that type of ability to find space in traffic at VFL level in order to step back up to the seniors with confidence.

100% this. they should have the confidence to do this at VFL level.

Worpel reminds me a lot of Ollie Wines. Wines started off with a bang and then dipped in form (was talk of Port trading him) and then matured and turned into a gun at 25 years of age.

I feel Worpel will come to age if we were to trade out Mitchell and give James the responsibility to be that Bull of an inside contested mid. Unfortunately there isn’t really a spot in the side for both of them though so Mitchell being 29 is the one who is the most disposable.

Worpel reminds me a lot of Ollie Wines. Wines started off with a bang and then dipped in form (was talk of Port trading him) and then matured and turned into a gun at 25 years of age.

I feel Worpel will come to age if we were to trade out Mitchell and give James the responsibility to be that Bull of an inside contested mid. Unfortunately there isn’t really a spot in the side for both of them though so Mitchell being 29 is the one who is the most disposable.
This is a good call . He is too good to be just thrown away as a trade bait.

If these two "really" are playing for the same spot (so cannot both play)

Titch or Worps ?

If it came down to a choice... who stays?
(I would choose Worps... but Titch has done nothing wrong at all !! Purely where our list is age wise)

And if Hawthorn decide Worps, what is the point of haggling over trade compensation?
Just rip off the bandaid and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Titch or Worps ?

(I would choose Worps... but Titch has done nothing wrong at all !! Purely where our list is age wise)

And if Hawthorn decide Worps, what is the point of haggling over trade compensation?
Because the whole point is to replace TOM with another player and the better the draft pick the more chance we will have of replacing him. Its stupid to just give good players away

23 year old former B&F winner = old bandaid is not the best analogy Ive ever heard...

I didnt say the bandaid was "old"...

If the choice is Worpel or Mitchell, who is the choice ?
As I said, personally I would choose Worpel as the one to keep (Luckily nothing hinges on my choice... and TOM is a mighty fine player)

Or is it a case of you would trade the one who brings the best pick ??

If having Titch playing is affecting Worps (as some intimate) who is the one to keep ?
By the way, both are fantastic Hawthorn players and I am not looking to cut either one just for fun.
I am just curious as to peoples thoughts given that there seems to be a "one cannot play if the other does" vibe...

I am just curious as to peoples thoughts given that there seems to be a "one cannot play if the other does" vibe...
That is the 'vibe', perhaps...

Why it is accepted as a self-evident fact, rather than something fixed by coaching within a system, is somewhat beyond my understanding.

I didnt say the bandaid was "old"...

If the choice is Worpel or Mitchell, who is the choice ?
As I said, personally I would choose Worpel as the one to keep (Luckily nothing hinges on my choice... and TOM is a mighty fine player)

Or is it a case of you would trade the one who brings the best pick ??

If having Titch playing is affecting Worps (as some intimate) who is the one to keep ?
By the way, both are fantastic Hawthorn players and I am not looking to cut either one just for fun.
Mitchell is consistently player rated 1 - 8 week in / week out. Since 2019, Worpel has been consistently player rated 15 - 30. People need to get over his surprise PCM win in 2019. It’s no comparison, Mitchell is a far superior player.

Titch or Worps ?

They both can play, Worpel just hasn't been good enough.

Mitchell is consistently player rated 1 - 8 week in / week out. Since 2019, Worpel has been consistently player rated 15 - 30. People need to get over his surprise PCM win in 2019. It’s no comparison, Mitchell is a far superior player.
If Worpel who is only just about to turn 24 moves into Mitchell’s spot next year after a possible trade and absolutely kills it (half a dozen clearances, tackles, 25 touches ave) and it all clicks from that PCM year, then we can compare…

And isn’t that what it’s all about, development of the 20-25 year olds for the future, Worpel is worth giving a 100% faith to find that PCM form by forcing Mitchell out next year.

The flip side, we keep Mitchell, trade Worpel, he finds form again and is finally heading into his prime, Mitchell hits a year older and he moves further into a singular position, meaning he takes time away from developing another mid before we contest for a flag.

We will then pickup another 1/2 mids plus development of current rookies and potential trade/s in 2024, that would be when we can offload worpel if no form is found, it maximises draft capital now and derisks potentially loosing a starting midfield for the next 6 years.

But Nash might go past both and then we could always offload both…

Wines is much bigger then Worpel though - he has 12kgs on him.

Wines also had his worst season at 25 years of age.

But prior to that his stats improved over his first five seasons, whilst Worpel's have regressed.

Their similarities are that their disposals by foot are very poor. But Wines has a big tank, is a huge unit and keeps his feet, so he can play as that powerful midfielder and those attributes clearly make up for his poor kicking.

If Worpel who is only just about to turn 24 moves into Mitchell’s spot next year after a possible trade and absolutely kills it (half a dozen clearances, tackles, 25 touches ave) and it all clicks from that PCM year, then we can compare…

And isn’t that what it’s all about, development of the 20-25 year olds for the future, Worpel is worth giving a 100% faith to find that PCM form by forcing Mitchell out next year.

The flip side, we keep Mitchell, trade Worpel, he finds form again and is finally heading into his prime, Mitchell hits a year older and he moves further into a singular position, meaning he takes time away from developing another mid before we contest for a flag.

We will then pickup another 1/2 mids plus development of current rookies and potential trade/s in 2024, that would be when we can offload worpel if no form is found, it maximises draft capital now and derisks potentially loosing a starting midfield for the next 6 years.

But Nash might go past both and then we could always offload both…
Of my Aunty had gonads she’d be my uncle, or might want to identify as one, etc.

Sam wanted Jaeger, Tom and Worps to basically do the same thing - play midfield and rotate forward. Tom and Jaeger have made that adjustment successfully. Unfortunately Worps hasn’t to this point. If he returns and improves then I’d be happy for all three to remain.

There’s enough different type of player on our list to now keep Tom and Jaeger for the next 5 seasons (their trade value isn’t enticing) and they will finish up when they’d 33/34 years old.

Of my Aunty had gonads she’d be my uncle, or might want to identify as one, etc.

Sam wanted Jaeger, Tom and Worps to basically do the same thing - play midfield and rotate forward. Tom and Jaeger have made that adjustment successfully. Unfortunately Worps hasn’t to this point. If he returns and improves then I’d be happy for all three to remain.

There’s enough different type of player on our list to now keep Tom and Jaeger for the next 5 seasons (their trade value isn’t enticing) and they will finish up when they’d 33/34 years old.
Um... Your Aunty DOES have gonads. They're called ovaries.

It’s nothing to do with his role, he was the number one banana with Duke who was often playing as the receiver with him there. Jaeger and Tom took the backwards step for the youth and Worpel hasn’t repaid it after being given faith, he’ll get another crack but it is earnt not given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back