Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Of my Aunty had gonads she’d be my uncle, or might want to identify as one, etc.

Sam wanted Jaeger, Tom and Worps to basically do the same thing - play midfield and rotate forward. Tom and Jaeger have made that adjustment successfully. Unfortunately Worps hasn’t to this point. If he returns and improves then I’d be happy for all three to remain.

There’s enough different type of player on our list to now keep Tom and Jaeger for the next 5 seasons (their trade value isn’t enticing) and they will finish up when they’d 33/34 years old.
Does that mean we can trade your uncle?

Surprised he isn't being talked about more, or rather his return

25 disp, 7 clearances, 16 contested possessions.
It was a brilliant return and highlighted why getting better outside support will make him a better player, he won the hardball and hand passed it to the outside instead of just bombing the ball blindly.

Surprised he isn't being talked about more, or rather his return

25 disp, 7 clearances, 16 contested possessions.
It was certainly positive. Still struggled with the ball on deck a few times but the tenacity was back and that is something to build on.

Thought he was average to be honest (despite the stats). Kicking hasn’t improved at all and fumbly at ground level. Looked like a battler vs the dogs mids (wasn’t alone though).

Disposed at 56% despite 16/25 possessions being handballs.

Also had same contested possessions as libba but didn’t seem to have much impact at all. Probably because he got 9 touches each in 1 & 4 quarters but only 7 across 2&3 when dogs stepped up.

Thought he was average to be honest (despite the stats). Kicking hasn’t improved at all and fumbly at ground level. Looked like a battler vs the dogs mids (wasn’t alone though).

Also had same contested possessions as libba but didn’t seem to have much impact at all. Probably because he got 9 touches each in 1 & 4 quarters but only 7 across 2&3 when dogs stepped up.
No suprises that when he was on so did we kick goals, his impact on games when he is playing well has a huge outcome on the game. Thought his flow with the game was so much better and tried to play that natural game. Fingers crossed his disposal improves tho

He spent a lot less time in the middle in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

He was the only one getting his hands on it. He needed support in there.

Still it was far from a perfect game. But a very strong step in the right direction. I will easily take that sort of game every week.

Good chat with Worp’s at the 57min mark below.

Says he’s had honest conversations with Sam about his year, and how it’s not gone to plan.

Talks about wanting to lighten off so that he can build his endurance and get to more contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says he’s had honest conversations with Sam about his year, and how it’s not gone to plan.

Talks about wanting to lighten off so that he can build his endurance and get to more contests.

Averaged 73% game time this year (excluding the gws game)
Averaged 80% in his second year.

I mentioned earlier this year he's too top heavy and had enough mass already in his second year,

It's hard not to be struck by how honest he is when it comes to chatting about his year. Certainly under no illusions. Would love to see him find his best form in 2023.

It's hard not to be struck by how honest he is when it comes to chatting about his year. Certainly under no illusions. Would love to see him find his best form in 2023.
I understand Sam has committed with Worps to try to make this happen. Believe Geelong have dropped off but not sure the Club would take an offer now unless it was too hard to knock back.

More focus on TOM I hear, both external and internal.

I understand Sam has committed with Worps to try to make this happen. Believe Geelong have dropped off but not sure the Club would take an offer now unless it was too hard to knock back.

More focus on TOM I hear, both external and internal.
Sorry, to clarify, we've committed to getting Worpel better, or off to the Cats? What focus on Tom?

Sorry, to clarify, we've committed to getting Worpel better, or off to the Cats? What focus on Tom?
The Club will keep Worpel (agree no one else ready to commit to him). Try and get him back to 2019 form.

Concentrate on trying to get an offer for TOM. Lesser extent JOM. That is what I am hearing. We will see.

James Worpel 

“It was a tough year for James in the fact that he probably struggled to get going early in the season. He spent some time at Box Hill where he found his form - he was just starting to get his form back - but then he hurt his shoulder. It was a disappointing and challenging year for him both early with his form and with his injury later. While on the sidelines he remained very heavily engaged and involved with the midfielders, helping them out with the structural side of things and opposition analysis. He was up in the coaches box a bit as well, he remained a really strong leader while he was out. He'll be looking to get himself cherry ripe for the pre-season and improve next year." Robert Harvey

Trading Mitchell out should see Worpel revive his career.
He's a very good inside mid, not much else.
Tom had nothing to do with worpels issues. It's a fallacy that has caught on here. Worpels issues are totally attributed to worpel and no one else.

Tom had nothing to do with worpels issues. It's a fallacy that has caught on here. Worpels issues are totally attributed to worpel and no one else.
Agreed, Jaeger was clearly able to do it. Tom not quite so much, but unfortunately James simply couldn’t transition into being a multi-positional player (yet).

Sam wants our whole midfield to be able to play multiple roles. After all that flexibility was what gave our 2011 - 2016 unit such depth / adaptability. If James can do it, he’s part of our future. The ball is in his court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back