Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been excellent and has been a large part of why our midfield has looked really good this season.

The only thing that I'd really like him to try and work on - is dishing the ball off to someone that is behind him when he's facing the wrong way, instead of just wheeling around. I feel like he gets tunnel vision and is just determined to get the ball forward, so a few times each game he burns someone in a better position by trying to wheel around. This almost always ends in a hacked kick forwards.

Must admit I’ve had some massive doubts on him over last two seasons. Showing now that his B&F win was no fluke and starting to remind me a lot of Brad Sewell with his exceptional clearance work. Awesome to see him at his best

He's been excellent and has been a large part of why our midfield has looked really good this season.

The only thing that I'd really like him to try and work on - is dishing the ball off to someone that is behind him when he's facing the wrong way, instead of just wheeling around. I feel like he gets tunnel vision and is just determined to get the ball forward, so a few times each game he burns someone in a better position by trying to wheel around. This almost always ends in a hacked kick forwards.
I feel like that's an instruction for him.. With a forward line thats up and running (like we are starting to see), you can't deny a bit of chaos helps. Especially against sides that set up really well like the Saints this year

Worps as the dedicated see ball kick ball mid while the others looks for cleaner options actually probably helps setups and plays for the forwards, can react quicker

I definitely feel he has been working on this particularly evident in his last 2 weeks, far more handballs than kicks

I reckon it's really helped him having some great kicks of the footy around him in the centre. Day, Newcombe, Nash are all pretty damn good kicks. When he was in the middle previously who would he give it to - Shiels, Mitchell, Jaeger. Huge difference.

It's been refreshing to see some of our forwards play in front of their man the last few weeks.

Worp's quick hack kicks out the middle look a lot better when our forwards aren't trying to sag off for a cheapie. Play in front and give yourself a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't have the exact stats, but seems like he is handballing more often than kicking now. Use his strength to extract the pill, and gets it outside to Day, Newk, Frenchy, etc

Definitely needs a new contract

I feel like that's an instruction for him.. With a forward line thats up and running (like we are starting to see), you can't deny a bit of chaos helps. Especially against sides that set up really well like the Saints this year

No way coaches are telling him to burn players in better positions (already facing forward and on the move) in favour of a wheel around and bomb forward. Not a chance mate.

Only behind Lachie Neale for centre clearances this season. Equal with Bontempelli.

Only behind Lachie Neale for centre clearances this season. Equal with Bontempelli.
I'd hazard a bet that Neale has more CBA than Duke & spends a greater proportion of his time in the middle than Duke does (doesn't rotate through HF etc.).

Also... Duke has better hair, so there's that...

I'd hazard a bet that Neale has more CBA than Duke & spends a greater proportion of his time in the middle than Duke does (doesn't rotate through HF etc.).

Also... Duke has better hair, so there's that...
How do you rate Worps hair? Being his thread and all...;)

How do you rate Worps hair? Being his thread and all...;)
Has reasonable potential, but has made bad choices.

Like myself, I think his hair will have a 'Peaked in High School' legacy to it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back