Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree.

It was the great John Maynard Keynes who said something like “When the facts change I change my mind. What do you do Sir!”

Admittedly Goddard should’ve been following Worpel’s form line earlier (the facts) which would’ve revealed the kid was already on the up. It’s just that later in the year that form became so blindingly obvious, even to external observers.

Keynes also said “in the long run we’re all dead!” Try that quote on your mates then enjoy the extended contemplative silence...
FWIW, my "* him" view comes from your admittedly part.

In the middle of the year, there was a Freo fan on the D&T board downplaying Lewis. After the game against Freo where Lewis had a blinder, I asked him again what he thought. He came straight out and said he changed his mind. There was no posturing, no being overly defensive nor was he throwing out any crazy justifications.

Had Goddard reacted the same way when called out I'd have more respect for him. Instead, he doubled down and made himself look even more foolish. He only accepted that he was wrong when it, as you say, became so blindingly obvious.

Not sure there is anything wrong with this.

Doesn't matter who they are, people who accept they were wrong and change their opinion accordingly deserve credit, not ridicule
The endless whinging about that one comment is embarrassing to be honest. And I see Hawthorn posters call other supporter bases precious?

The Channel 7 headline was ridiculous, but I am not against sending Worps forward a little bit more next season to continue his development.

Over the past two years I’ve seen little flashes in his game that make me think he could be effective as a forward. The main traits that lead me to believe this are:
- He is suprisingly good at taking contested marks in a 1v1 contest (remember that mark in the goalsquare against Houli in the JLT?).
- He is exceptionally strong through the hips which allows him to shrug tackles (much like Breust does)
- He has a powerful fend-off similar to Dusty, again making him hard to tackle and creates space
- Keeps his feet in 1v1 contests (just ask Michael Hurley )
- Decent goal-sense, some of the goals he kicked this year came as a suprise but he kicked a few very tricky goals (left foot snap vs Adelaide rd 1, checkside banana vs Collingwood rd 16)
- Good tackler
- Good delivery inside 50 when he finds a touch of space
- Decent set shot

He actually has some similar traits to Dusty which is what makes me think he has potential to rotate forward. However the one thing he lacks is genuine speed, this could be the thing that holds him back, but as I outlined above he has other ways of creating space. He also isn’t very good in the air, he is good if he can wrestle his opponent and use his strength to shove them out of the marking contest, but if he can’t initiate contact early then good aerial defenders like Sicily will outmark him. Once again though, this is similar to Dusty, he doesn’t fly for marks, rather he gets himself in terrific positions and uses his brute strength to out-muscle his opponent.

Anyway, it might not work but I think it would be interesting to see what he is capable of down there. If it works it would only add another dimension to his game and increase our team flexibility. By the way, I do NOT think that Worpel is going to be as good as Dusty. I’m just drawing on similarities in parts of their games that have stood out to me so far in Worpel’s career.

The Channel 7 headline was ridiculous, but I am not against sending Worps forward a little bit more next season to continue his development.

Over the past two years I’ve seen little flashes in his game that make me think he could be effective as a forward. The main traits that lead me to believe this are:
- He is suprisingly good at taking contested marks in a 1v1 contest (remember that mark in the goalsquare against Houli in the JLT?).
- He is exceptionally strong through the hips which allows him to shrug tackles (much like Breust does)
- He has a powerful fend-off similar to Dusty, again making him hard to tackle and creates space
- Keeps his feet in 1v1 contests (just ask Michael Hurley )
- Decent goal-sense, some of the goals he kicked this year came as a suprise but he kicked a few very tricky goals (left foot snap vs Adelaide rd 1, checkside banana vs Collingwood rd 16)
- Good tackler
- Good delivery inside 50 when he finds a touch of space
- Decent set shot

He actually has some similar traits to Dusty which is what makes me think he has potential to rotate forward. However the one thing he lacks is genuine speed, this could be the thing that holds him back, but as I outlined above he has other ways of creating space. He also isn’t very good in the air, he is good if he can wrestle his opponent and use his strength to shove them out of the marking contest, but if he can’t initiate contact early then good aerial defenders like Sicily will outmark him. Once again though, this is similar to Dusty, he doesn’t fly for marks, rather he gets himself in terrific positions and uses his brute strength to out-muscle his opponent.

Anyway, it might not work but I think it would be interesting to see what he is capable of down there. If it works it would only add another dimension to his game and increase our team flexibility. By the way, I do NOT think that Worpel is going to be as good as Dusty. I’m just drawing on similarities in parts of their games that have stood out to me so far in Worpel’s career.
Has an uncanny ability to strip the football off players at same time when he lays a tackle. Just ask GAblett.😁😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, my "fu** him" view comes from your admittedly part.

In the middle of the year, there was a Freo fan on the D&T board downplaying Lewis. After the game against Freo where Lewis had a blinder, I asked him again what he thought. He came straight out and said he changed his mind. There was no posturing, no being overly defensive nor was he throwing out any crazy justifications.

Had Goddard reacted the same way when called out I'd have more respect for him. Instead, he doubled down and made himself look even more foolish. He only accepted that he was wrong when it, as you say, became so blindingly obvious.

Of course he got defensive, he had mobs of hawthorn flogs messaging him and giving him dogs abuse, all because he offered a (very wrong) opinion about a player that the baying mobs liked.

Of course he got defensive, he had mobs of hawthorn flogs messaging him and giving him dogs abuse, all because he offered a (very wrong) opinion about a player that the baying mobs liked.
He didn't cop s**t for a wrong opinion, he copped it for an uneducated one. He gets paid no doubt very good money to be a footy expert/analysis. The only way he could have held that opinion on Worpel is if he had not watched our games. Wrong opinions are fine but when you just fail to do the job you are paid to do you will cop criticism.

Ha ha. Some on this board probably approve of the Milton Friedman approach to recruitment ....

Friedman was a free trade economist, if anything our recruitment has been in line with his philosophy. 'I, Pencil' becomes 'I, Hawthorn FC'.

He didn't cop s**t for a wrong opinion, he copped it for an uneducated one. He gets paid no doubt very good money to be a footy expert/analysis. The only way he could have held that opinion on Worpel is if he had not watched our games. Wrong opinions are fine but when you just fail to do the job you are paid to do you will cop criticism.
BJK#5' post is spot on. If you're going to make these kind of comments without doing any research you can't complain when you're called out on it. At least, if you do, the respectable route is to admit fault, not double down on being a dickhead. Like I said in a post above "He only accepted that he was wrong when it became so blindingly obvious.".

Also see goddard defense rankings & reasoning for port (9) & hawks (10)

he has NFI

So why are you and so many others wasting so much time getting worked up about him?

Doesn't make sense. Don't like him? Ignore him. He's paid to make calls and his bosses prefer that those calls are controversial. Its the nature of the beast.

I dont get all the angst.

So why are you and so many others wasting so much time getting worked up about him?

Doesn't make sense. Don't like him? Ignore him. He's paid to make calls and his bosses prefer that those calls are controversial. Its the nature of the beast.

I dont get all the angst.
It's a footy discussion forum mate, we discuss footy related things, it's literally the point of the forum. No one is getting worked up over it, no one is losing sleep over it, just discussing it.

It's a footy discussion forum mate, we discuss footy related things, it's literally the point of the forum. No one is getting worked up over it, no one is losing sleep over it, just discussing it.

Haha righto. Did you just 'mate' me?!

I know its a discussion forum, thanks for the reminder. I was taking part in the discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back