Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

They weren't until they were, if you know what I mean.
The complaint wasn’t there until we had already won a flag in 2008. Before then nobody complained about our midfield mix as we were just an exciting up and coming team. The comparison is way off. The current blokes - other than Worpel - are all 27 plus. They are also not good ball users whereas Mitchell Hodge and Lewis were among the best users of the footy we have seen.

The complaint wasn’t there until we had already won a flag in 2008. Before then nobody complained about our midfield mix as we were just an exciting up and coming team. The comparison is way off. The current blokes - other than Worpel - are all 27 plus. They are also not good ball users whereas Mitchell Hodge and Lewis were among the best users of the footy we have seen.
Sorry mate, but I reckon he has a point. If you tried telling anyone prior to 2013 that Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis were among the best users of the footy the game has ever seen.. well I don’t think even the most die hard Hawks fan would’ve agreed with you. I remember people even in 2012 saying the Burgoyne trade was a bust, because he wasn’t an explosive clearance beast like Ablett or Swan.

There’s a lot of talent between Jom, Mitch and Worps - to my eye it seems they carry too much responsibility in the middle, especially the first two. Would love to see us snag another midfielder in a trade. Was pretty surprised we didn’t pick up the phone to Treloar tbh.

At this stage worps is only a good midfielder in one role - primary ball winner who goes 100% chasing the ball and isn’t defensively responsible (and note I think teams have also figured out since 2019 how to play against him).

Only problem is Mitchell is better than him in this role. In other roles worpel is pretty average - he’s not great defensively, he’s not a receiver (lacks pace, skills) and isn’t effective on wing/flanks.
We’re clearly putting some work in to round out his game but it’s slow going.

It’s also not helped that JOM has similar issues and doesn’t complement Mitchell and worpel - he’a better as a inside grunt ball winner and not great elsewhere. If we can’t get it working by end of the year reckon a trade of one of our mids needs to happen.

Not sure if he's the same calibre of player Lewis was, or whether he could make the same transition that Lewis did - but he is probably going through a similar at the moment.

Lewis had to adapt, shed kg's and develop an outside game. It worked for him, so hopefully it can work for Worpel too.

I still don't see how he couldn't work alongside Mitchell though
. Worpel needs to switch on defensively and that would make a huge difference.
I am not saying at all that he can't work with Mitchell - what I am saying is whatever the reasons are for it not working need to be sorted - and sending one of them, Worpel, to HFF is not the answer to fixing it. It doesn't help the ruckmen work out who will be where, let alone the boys themselves, if they can't be in the middle at the same time, for whatever reason.

I don't understand the logic behind it purely from trying to make players more versatile when the player we are talking about haven't yet got the main parts of their games working together, because of injuries and other factors.

When we moved Lewis and Sam around they had already worked with each other in the middle until they knew who would be where, it was after that they were then moved, to upset the oppo from us being predictable in the center.

I can see why you used Lewis as the comparison, but he was always a good place kicker to space in front of the forwards and around the ground, these new boys (Worps, Mitch, O'Meara) are not, and most likely never will be.

Getting Ned Reeves into the side next year may help quite a lot as well because at the moment our we have zero aggression in their, let alone tapping ability. Rob Campell is so underrated for the role he played in the 2008 GF on Ottens, basicly took him out of the game.

Who can really argue with Clarkos 4 premiership medallions? But that doesn't mean all supporters are just dumb fools with eyes painted on, all it means is we don't know the end game of the entire team strategy.

But by geez it would be nice to see the part of their games they are best at refined to perfection first, before trying to fix it some other way, just because worked it in the past with totally different players with totally different skill sets.

At this stage worps is only a good midfielder in one role - primary ball winner who goes 100% chasing the ball and isn’t defensively responsible (and note I think teams have also figured out since 2019 how to play against him).

Only problem is Mitchell is better than him in this role. In other roles worpel is pretty average - he’s not great defensively, he’s not a receiver (lacks pace, skills) and isn’t effective on wing/flanks.

It’s also not helped that JOM has similar issues and doesn’t complement Mitchell and worpel - he’a better as a inside grunt ball winner and not great elsewhere. If we can’t get it working by end of the year reckon a trade of one of our mids needs to happen.

Can't see the club having the balls to do that.

He'd better be careful not to breath heavily on duckwood's shoulder's, the umps will fall all over themselves giving him his 6th high tackle free for the day...
I would like a game day poll each week on how many frees duckwank will get. Just to highlight how protected it is. Keep it as a sticky

I would like a game day poll each week on how many frees duckwank will get. Just to highlight how protected it is. Keep it as a sticky
If they make a statue in homage to him in geelong this will be the pose:

1617410095202.png

Can't see the club having the balls to do that.
I am not suggesting we should trade him but you don't think the club that has traded our club legends has the balls to trade a Worpel or O'meara?

You don't think the club that had the balls to trade the player that at the time was considered our best young player in Burton has the balls to trade a Worpel or O'meara?

I would argue the Hawks are one of the few clubs that is willing to do anything if they think it is in the best interest of the club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate, but I reckon he has a point. If you tried telling anyone prior to 2013 that Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis were among the best users of the footy the game has ever seen.. well I don’t think even the most die hard Hawks fan would’ve agreed with you. I remember people even in 2012 saying the Burgoyne trade was a bust, because he wasn’t an explosive clearance beast like Ablett or Swan.

There’s a lot of talent between Jom, Mitch and Worps - to my eye it seems they carry too much responsibility in the middle, especially the first two. Would love to see us snag another midfielder in a trade. Was pretty surprised we didn’t pick up the phone to Treloar tbh.
It is a false comparison though, the core group mentioned above had already won a flag in 2008 and was consistently competing in finals.

Second of all they had the ability to play other positions. Hodge mainly down back but also forward and obviously through the midfield. Lewis could play half forward, wing or as an inside mid.

Mitchell is probably the only one that played largely as a mid but also could spend time behind the ball.

They were elite ball users that could play all over the ground, they had shown they could all play in the same team.

The current group is yet to do that and it is why Worpel is being played in a new position. Adding a new mid will help as long as they bring something different and preferably can play another position as well. Wingard coming back will be very big assuming he is fit enough for midfield minutes.

You can always count on cherry picking on here - throw out a bit of bait and SNAP.....hahahahaha

Lets just forget about Dowler, Throp, Dawson, Scheonmakers, Brand and even Kosi ..............LMAO at the cherry pickers.

You forgot Goo mate, he went alright when sent back too - oooh so did C.Brown......who else is their who is small to medium instead of a tall forward being sent back to make your cherry pop.....
Trent Croad did OK.

From other clubs:
Chris Tarrant
Daniel Bradshaw, at Brisbane from memory
Justin Leppitsch (sp.)
Maybe Mal Michael? Think he may have started forward.
Lonergan from Geelong - pretty sure he started as a forward.

The fact is that these guys weren't going to make it as forwards, but had traits that could (not necessarily did) see them successful in defence.

It wasn't as though our forwardline missed them - they weren't getting games as forwards anyway. You think Brand or Dawson were missed from our forwardline? But at the time, we needed KPD - may as well try the guys already on the list, right?

Last edited:

JOM compliments both Mitchell and Worpel very well, given he plays the team role and covers them defensively.

Goddard was a ahead of his time ... stagnated.

Joking*

His role has obviously lessened in importance on the centre square so he has had a dip of output.

I think the coaching staff are willing to wait to see if he can string more bows playing up forward.

Goddard was a ahead of his time ... stagnated.

Joking*

His role has obviously lessened in importance on the centre square so he has had a dip of output.

I think the coaching staff are willing to wait to see if he can string more bows playing up forward.

Hard to argue with that take now unfortunately. Unless you're arguing that he's regressed even.

I am not suggesting we should trade him but you don't think the club that has traded our club legends has the balls to trade a Worpel or O'meara?

You don't think the club that had the balls to trade the player that at the time was considered our best young player in Burton has the balls to trade a Worpel or O'meara?

I would argue the Hawks are one of the few clubs that is willing to do anything if they think it is in the best interest of the club.

Just think the club has invested a lot of time into this midfield trio so I'd be surprised if they packed it in that's all.

If he's HFF he should push up the ground and stay around the contest/packs similar to what the Doggies do with their plethora of gun midfielders.

Same with Wingard. When they aren't playing in the middle they can still be outlets or link-up players.

It is a false comparison though, the core group mentioned above had already won a flag in 2008 and was consistently competing in finals.

Second of all they had the ability to play other positions. Hodge mainly down back but also forward and obviously through the midfield. Lewis could play half forward, wing or as an inside mid.

Mitchell is probably the only one that played largely as a mid but also could spend time behind the ball.

They were elite ball users that could play all over the ground, they had shown they could all play in the same team.

The current group is yet to do that and it is why Worpel is being played in a new position. Adding a new mid will help as long as they bring something different and preferably can play another position as well. Wingard coming back will be very big assuming he is fit enough for midfield minutes.
Elite ball users who can play all over the ground is certainly not the assessment we would’ve given to Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis prior to 2012. You forget Hodge had recurring injuries and was ‘cooked’, Mitchell came close to being traded - Lewis was a full-time mid.

I’m not saying Worpel, Tom and Jaeger are equivalent players - they haven’t yet shown the kicking abilities of the above mentioned - but they might have other skills?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back