Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Elite ball users who can play all over the ground is certainly not the assessment we would’ve given to Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis prior to 2012. You forget Hodge had recurring injuries and was ‘cooked’, Mitchell came close to being traded - Lewis was a full-time mid.

I’m not saying Worpel, Tom and Jaeger are equivalent players - they haven’t yet shown the kicking abilities of the above mentioned - but they might have other skills?

From 2011/12 - Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis were complemented by getting sleek runners with good skills around them (Hill - when he was good, Smith, Burgoyne, small forwards who would go onto the ball etc). We need to get a couple of high end mids who are damaging with ball in hand in the next draft or 2 to complement JOM/Titch/Worpel mix.

I wouldn't mind having Wingard/O'Meara, Shiels/Howe and Mitchell/Worps rotate through the middle. That way we have a bit of everything. Sprinkle in Burgoyne and a couple others and it should be a dynamic enough midfield to get out on top.

I'm not sure I was a fan of having our mids on the half back though. I'd prefer them pocket/flank up forward.

I wouldn't mind having Wingard/O'Meara, Shiels/Howe and Mitchell/Worps rotate through the middle. That way we have a bit of everything. Sprinkle in Burgoyne and a couple others and it should be a dynamic enough midfield to get out on top.

I'm not sure I was a fan of having our mids on the half back though. I'd prefer them pocket/flank up forward.

Agree, half back line is looking good as is

Elite ball users who can play all over the ground is certainly not the assessment we would’ve given to Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis prior to 2012. You forget Hodge had recurring injuries and was ‘cooked’, Mitchell came close to being traded - Lewis was a full-time mid.

I’m not saying Worpel, Tom and Jaeger are equivalent players - they haven’t yet shown the kicking abilities of the above mentioned - but they might have other skills?
But that is my point like 2 days ago that some disagreed with.

Worel is being moved forward because they don’t feel we can moe forward with those 4 guys just playing full time mid together.

Worel is being moved forward because they don’t feel we can moe forward with those 4 guys just playing full time mid together.
The AFL thought they were onto a winner with the 666 rule. But pretty soon everyone adjusted. Let’s see how things are going in a months time. It could be a permanent change but just too early to tell now 👍

Game seems a lot quicker with the new man on the mark rule. Unless coaches can adjust, we’re likely to see less stoppages and greater importance on speed. Not helpful for players like worpel (or any of our mids to be honest).
I don't think it has any thing at all to do with the man on the mark rule, I think it is the reduction of interchanges that is causing the higher scoring and faster movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you listen to Clarkos chat with Mitch Cleary preseason? Spelt it out in unambiguous terms. Ours mids are carrying too much of the workload. They want to rotate more players through stoppages, which means that Mitch, Worps and Jaeger will have to rotate through another position more often.

Having said that, I’m not sure we’ve really seen it implemented with Mitch and Jom - but that’s why Worpel has found himself in new positions. Got nothing to do with them being unable to play together. This is going to be one of those myths that just persists, I can see that already.

And fair dinkum Judd2Sewell, Worpel the worst kick in the team? Why stop there? Let’s speculate at who’s the worst handballer, worst tackler, worst mark, worst set-shot. Not the kind of analysis any of us want to read about players we support.

Lol nah you're right, kicking is his strength isn't it. I must have been watching someone else this whole time.
Not sure he’s one of the worst like you suggest, though.

Lol nah you're right, kicking is his strength isn't it. I must have been watching someone else this whole time.
Not the worst, not the best. Can shank the odd couple and no look kicks out of packs.

But he’s probably our best kick at kicking it long to our forwards advantage. And he’s adept at hitting a leading target.

Problem is he needs time to do it and isn’t always the best kick when rushed. Give him a bit of time though and he normally uses it well.

Can we just get our effing rucks to jump and tap it down his throat - this may help just a little.....

Monkey got away with just standing and holding the other ruck out of the road because he is a giant of a man

Not sure he’s one of the worst like you suggest, though.

Regardless of where we rate his kicking compared to the rest of the team (IMO only CJ, Frost, Phillips and Hartigan compare) - it is not a strength of his and has been considered a weakness all throughout his junior days until now. Doesn't mean he's not a good player and doesn't have a range of other strengths, they just don't suit being played off the HBF.

I don't understand all the heartache.

2018 - 17.6 - rookie season
2019 - 26.6 - breakout
2020 - 19.1 - 25 disposals adjusted for 25% shorter quarters
2021 - 16.5 - 2 games so far!

Worpel had a great season playinig a different role in challenging circumstances.

Correct.

He's also coming off an AC injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back