Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Keep playing him.

Let's see if he can dig himself out of it. He's been up against the 2 Grand Finalists.....an easier run is coming, so no excuses
I'm happy for him to get more chances but Cousins would likely be eying that spot off atm. Although Worpel is a better mid, Cousins has shown he can play forward better at an AFL level. I wonder if they pull the trigger on it this week or give Worps a couple more chances.

Adrian Dodoro

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's playing like a pick third round pick midfielder that has had question marks over his disposals.

Dropping him would be embarrassing for him, no doubt. Would he sulk or would he respond?

he would respond, by all reports he's not the sulking type. personally i hope he playing in box hill - his best season was when titch was out, sure. but his best season was also when he had sam mitchells full attention - him and sammy had a bond and i think he needs some time playing under his mentor

I'm happy for him to get more chances but Cousins would likely be eying that spot off atm. Although Worpel is a better mid, Cousins has shown he can play forward better at an AFL level. I wonder if they pull the trigger on it this week or give Worps a couple more chances.
Cousins not killing it at BHH

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cousins not killing it at BHH

I was under the impression that he was playing well. Last weeks write up on Cousins from Mitchell -

"Cousins was strong. He was our highest possession-getter and he made simpler decisions with the ball in-hand this week. He had some very good tough and hard moments which we loved."

Not sure how he went last weekend but kicked two goals

Last edited:

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was under the impression that he was playing well. Last weeks right up on Cousins from Mitchell -

"Cousins was strong. He was our highest possession-getter and he made simpler decisions with the ball in-hand this week. He had some very good tough and hard moments which we loved."

Not sure how he went last weekend but kicked two goals
This is a Cousins strength imo. Composed set shot for goal. He is obviously not doing something right. Most games I have seen him play have been pretty good. He is a good size to go with current mids and is still only 25 games into his career.

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He almost looks like he is trying too hard and going at contests at a million miles an hour.
I wouldnt be dropping him at this stage, we are pretty thin for mids .

Run with roles could be an option to get him some form and confidence back .

He is a big part of our future and resurgance back up the ladder so back him through this slump .

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
He almost looks like he is trying too hard and going at contests at a million miles an hour.
I wouldnt be dropping him at this stage, we are pretty thin for mids .

Run with roles could be an option to get him some form and confidence back .

He is a big part of our future and resurgance back up the ladder so back him through this slump .
I've been thinking this for a few weeks. Give him the old Shiels role for a few weeks. Think he'd thrive at the challenge.

Almost certain he's taking on a much more defensive role to free up Jaegar this year. From what I've seen, he's been a lot more defensive minded.

Think we need to cut him some slack as Worps' loss is Jaegar's gain this season.
Yep agree I reckon they are teaching him a new role to make him a more rounded mid. We play the long game at Hawthorn.

In saying that it doesn't excuse his poor kicking.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Strongly recommend people have a listen/watch of this. Super interesting to hear how James feels/talks about mental health and the pressures of the game. I follow his social media and have always been interested by Jordan because he shows up quite a lot- tbh I thought/hoped he may have been a partner of one of the lads, but I love to hear the impact he's had on James (and I'm assuming others in the team as he shows up a fair bit) regardless.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As a rebuilding team... Play him as an inside mid for the rest of the year. Tell Mitchell to go and learn a more rounded game when Jaegar is back.

It shouldn't be hardly a surprise he looked more like his 2019 self getting to play in his natural position. Worps just needs to be around the ball. That's his go.

Last edited:
He looked so purposeful when he got the ball on the weekend, started showing signs of this against the Crows.

So different from the stuttering, unsure player he had been for a lot of the first 5 rounds.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He looked so purposeful when he got the ball on the weekend, started showing signs of this against the Crows.

So different from the stuttering, unsure player he had been for a lot of the first 5 rounds.
In his natural role he is elite.
Talk of dropping him or trades are foolish IMO.

I'd rather they rotate him through this ball-winning role and forward than that defensive type role he just isn't suited to.

Back