Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you attacking me and the city Geelong? Not capable of a rational discussion?

I’m not saying I want him to leave. Where did I say that?

I’ve been very impressed with his first year but he will have to work hard to raise his ceiling so he becomes a regular in a strong HFC team.

Skill execution and ability to work away from the contest are clear areas to work on. They always have been for him as a junior.

If Geelong are in decline, as I hope they are, he may have more regular midfield opportunities there in a couple of years’ time.

Take the emotion out of it, and you’ll realise it’s just a common sense option.

no issue with the rest of your post and I dont think you (or the city of Geelong!) deserved that s**t being slung your way, but this last sentence is a bit weak. Why is a common sense option to go to a weaker team because the oppurtunities might be better?

Maybe it is common sense for a player who wants the easy option, but the vast majority of player will be hoping to get the most out of themselves, Worpel seems like he is in the latter basket

no issue with the rest of your post and I dont think you (or the city of Geelong!) deserved that s**t being slung your way, but this last sentence is a bit weak. Why is a common sense option to go to a weaker team because the oppurtunities might be better?

Maybe it is common sense for a player who wants the easy option, but the vast majority of player will be hoping to get the most out of themselves, Worpel seems like he is in the latter basket
Please read it over again.

I said it was A common sense option. Not THE common sense option. Nor the option he should ultimately choose.

He could also sign on for more years at HFC...that’s also a commonsense option.

You’re allowed to have more than one to choose from if you’re good enough.

I'm very reluctant to engage in this thread again, as unless blindly devout you seem to cop heat... but, I did pose the question on the back of this comment in AFL.com.au's latest article about the champ.

"Seeking Scully's counsel is all part of Worpel's plan to make an even bigger impact in 2019, and he is happy for contract negotiations to wait until he settles into season two." (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-01/haunting-final-kick-reminds-worpedo-of-what-it-takes)

For what it's worth I believe he will stay, and he has not only the world in front of him at Hawthorn, but a very attractive version of it; but we'd be naive if we didn't acknowledge that other well run clubs aren't trying to pull levers to get him (and other Hawks players) on an annual basis.

I'm very reluctant to engage in this thread again, as unless blindly devout you seem to cop heat... but, I did pose the question on the back of this comment in AFL.com.au's latest article about the champ.

"Seeking Scully's counsel is all part of Worpel's plan to make an even bigger impact in 2019, and he is happy for contract negotiations to wait until he settles into season two." (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-01/haunting-final-kick-reminds-worpedo-of-what-it-takes)

For what it's worth I believe he will stay, and he has not only the world in front of him at Hawthorn, but a very attractive version of it; but we'd be naive if we didn't acknowledge that other well run clubs aren't trying to pull levers to get him (and other Hawks players) on an annual basis.

Where does that article say he’s looking at going to Geelong? Any young, promising player creates interest in other clubs; our club is out there constantly looking and asking questions.

There’s no need to panic, Kent.

Why are you attacking me and the city Geelong? Not capable of a rational discussion?

I’m not saying I want him to leave. Where did I say that?

I’ve been very impressed with his first year but he will have to work hard to raise his ceiling so he becomes a regular in a strong HFC team.

Skill execution and ability to work away from the contest are clear areas to work on. They always have been for him as a junior.

If Geelong are in decline, as I hope they are, he may have more regular midfield opportunities there in a couple of years’ time.

Take the emotion out of it, and you’ll realise it’s just a common sense option.

I’ll tell you what common sense is? It’s sticking with the club that has the best development program in the league, playing for the greatest coach we’ll likrlt ever see and for the club that has had more success than any for the past 50 years. Common sense would suggest you’d wait around over the next 3-4 years as Dingley becomes a reality, where you’ll have some of the best facilities any sporting club would have in any sport from any part of the globe.

That’s common sense

I’ll tell you what common sense is? It’s sticking with the club that has the best development program in the league, playing for the greatest coach we’ll likrlt ever see and for the club that has had more success than any for the past 50 years. Common sense would suggest you’d wait around over the next 3-4 years as Dingley becomes a reality, where you’ll have some of the best facilities any sporting club would have in any sport from any part of the globe.

That’s common sense
Okay. So what’s your message to Taylor Duryea and Ryan Burton then?

We turfed them both, different story. Doc served his purpose and was rightfully shipped, Ryan got us an all Australian in his prime, both wanted to stay.

Anything else you want to add?
Not really. At least you finished the discussion with some level of maturity. :thumbsu:

Nothing about his contract in the current version of the article.
But not being worried about contract negotiations isn't the same as not being interested in a contract though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread has jumped the shark
Oh hi
Greg-Norman-Nude-wilderness-600.jpg

Doesn't mean he's interested, but they'd be mad not to be.

Ablett has about 1 year left, Kelly will be gone at year's end & Selwood is slowing down.

There's no chance that Geelong isn't interested in a player/person with the attributes he's shown, especially (not 'because') he has ties to the area.

Figjam could carry a weak midfield for a few years, couldn't he?

Doesn't mean he's interested, but they'd be mad not to be.

Ablett has about 1 year left, Kelly will be gone at year's end & Selwood is slowing down.

There's no chance that Geelong isn't interested in a player/person with the attributes he's shown, especially (not 'because') he has ties to the area.
Gee they’re in trouble aren’t they. They will probably chase players like Cogs hard too you’d think

Nothing about his contract in the current version of the article.
But not being worried about contract negotiations isn't the same as not being interested in a contract though

I agree and in support....

Code for probably leaving: "I want to focus on my football and leave contract talks till after the season finishes"

What is claimed he said: happy to (not wants to) put negotiations off until the season starts. This just says that he wants his footy to leverage a good contract and accepts that he's not in a position to demand an extension just yet.

Don't get hung up about Geelong just because you hear he's from there every time the media mentions his name...

I agree and in support....

Code for probably leaving: "I want to focus on my football and leave contract talks till after the season finishes"

What is claimed he said: happy to (not wants to) put negotiations off until the season starts. This just says that he wants his footy to leverage a good contract and accepts that he's not in a position to demand an extension just yet.

Don't get hung up about Geelong just because you hear he's from there every time the media mentions his name...
plenty of players have put contract negotiations off and not left their clubs, nothing said really matters, except a FA saying I'm leaving, everything else is just noise/negotiation/posturing

plenty of players have put contract negotiations off and not left their clubs, nothing said really matters, except a FA saying I'm leaving, everything else is just noise/negotiation/posturing

I didn't say that putting contract negotiations off implied leaving, I said something specific not general. I said that code for "potentially" leaving was to say that negs are put off till "after" the season. I've highlighted the key words for you to make it clearer. ;-)

I didn't say that putting contract negotiations off implied leaving, I said something specific not general. I said that code for "potentially" leaving was to say that negs are put off till "after" the season. I've highlighted the key words for you to make it clearer. ;-)
yeah I understood, I just don't subscribe to your viewpoint

Remove this Banner Ad

Back