Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Round 21 Rising star Nom!

Rocket72

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
plenty of players have put contract negotiations off and not left their clubs, nothing said really matters, except a FA saying I'm leaving, everything else is just noise/negotiation/posturing
I didn't say that putting contract negotiations off implied leaving, I said something specific not general. I said that code for "potentially" leaving was to say that negs are put off till "after" the season. I've highlighted the key words for you to make it clearer. ;-)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gralin

Super Moderator
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Admin #1,327
I didn't say that putting contract negotiations off implied leaving, I said something specific not general. I said that code for "potentially" leaving was to say that negs are put off till "after" the season. I've highlighted the key words for you to make it clearer. ;-)
yeah I understood, I just don't subscribe to your viewpoint

grumbleguts

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You basically want him to go to Geelong, every one of your posts are positive to it. Geelong is a cesspit of Ice induced deros, the only thing that hell hole has going for it is the road out of it heading to Lorne. I hope the club signs him long term before the season, put this all to bed, he'd bat be shit crazy not to stay and become a 250 game legend.
Agree with the sentiment, but in the interests of pedantry, it's going away from it.

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks have a pretty rigid, set pay structure.

Not sure he's going to be able to get massive dollars.
Sure, but there's definitely going to be a significant salary difference between a 2nd year player who while very promising could be quickly dropped with a poor game (where he is at now), and that of a player who is a key cog of the midfield engine room and clearly entrenched within the starting 18 (something he could potentially be by late 2019).

Unless he thinks he has little to no room for improvement, or no belief that he can make significant leaps forward next season, then it would be a poor decision for him to commit to a contract now that is based mostly on where he is at right now. His management would be advising him of the same thing, I'm sure.

From a Hawthorn club perspective we're probably hesitant to rush into offering him a deal based on just half a season worth of good footy and the assumption that he'll continue that trajectory in the coming years. We did that with Langford following his back half of 2014 and in hindsight it was a mistake.

MrPremiership

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sure, but there's definitely going to be a significant salary difference between a 2nd year player who while very promising could be quickly dropped with a poor game (where he is at now), and that of a player who is a key cog of the midfield engine room and clearly entrenched within the starting 18 (something he could potentially be by late 2019).

Unless he thinks he has little to no room for improvement, or no belief that he can make significant leaps forward next season, then it would be a poor decision for him to commit to a contract now that is based mostly on where he is at right now. His management would be advising him of the same thing, I'm sure.

From a Hawthorn club perspective we're probably hesitant to rush into offering him a deal based on just half a season worth of good footy and the assumption that he'll continue that trajectory in the coming years. We did that with Langford following his back half of 2014 and in hindsight it was a mistake.
Yes sure, but all and sundry are aware of his potential and i'm sure the structure is tiered for years played and games played/potential.

I can't see the club budging too much on what the structure is and I'm sure he'll sign another short extension so that he can build up the next contract, the one after 50-60 games.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Yes sure, but all and sundry are aware of his potential and i'm sure the structure is tiered for years played and games played/potential.

I can't see the club budging too much on what the structure is and I'm sure he'll sign another short extension so that he can build up the next contract, the one after 50-60 games.
Makes the most sense. 2 - 3 year extention....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
It's pretty normal for young players in similar positions to put of contract talks - mostly because they think they can go up another level towards the end of the season and earn themselves another $50-100k on what they'd make if they signed now. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Brad Hill, James Sicily and a few others all did the very same thing.

It's nothing to worry about - pretty stock standard player agent move. Not to mention there's bugger all of a go-home factor when you're an hours drive away (and even if there were, we would be saying hello to a pretty nice pick next year from Geelong).

tommyk72

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's pretty normal for young players in similar positions to put of contract talks - mostly because they think they can go up another level towards the end of the season and earn themselves another $50-100k on what they'd make if they signed now. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Brad Hill, James Sicily and a few others all did the very same thing.

It's nothing to worry about - pretty stock standard player agent move. Not to mention there's bugger all of a go-home factor when you're an hours drive away (and even if there were, we would be saying hello to a pretty nice pick next year from Geelong).
I agree. And even though 50-100k is small bickies in terms or salary cap, it is still a HUGE amount to a 20-21 year old guy!

JeddaB

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seriously...
All beandip said was Geelong would be crazy not to be talking to him. Ofcourse they would be.

For so many people to be jumping down one of the most rational and best posters in this all too often robotic one sided forum is pathetic.

Id rather read his posts all day than see so many people spouting shit in the hawthorn have head****ed everyone, then in the next breath flip out over how we are so hard done by and the whole world is against us.

tige19

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NUFC, Orlando, Packers, Trump
From the picture posted above and others from that session, Worps looks in ridiculous shape. Granted the kid is just genetically lean and muscular, but he's definitely leaned out even more - hoping a better endurance base has come with it because the sky is the limit for this kid if it has.
Looks a bit skinny for mine, I know we like our boys lean but that’s cost us contested footy so often. Hoping he doesn’t look that strength inside the contest, he is going to be vital for us winning the footy.

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks a bit skinny for mine, I know we like our boys lean but that’s cost us contested footy so often. Hoping he doesn’t look that strength inside the contest, he is going to be vital for us winning the footy.
Considering the power of work midfielders do it's more important to outwork the opposite team, and have each player outwork their opponent. He's still big enough and looks strong enough to have power in the contest, so his ability to get from contest to contest is important. Especially considering he's what, 20?

Selwood, Cotchin, Mitchell, Neale all show that it's just as much craft as it is strength in the clinches.

Roger Rogerson

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee that is pretty damn promising to see him in that shape before we have started preseason. Shows a pretty professional mindset. Players who are in the last year of their contract generally have watermark seasons so Worps looks set to step up a notch in 19. He got a wake up call in the finals was a fair way off which looks to have spurred him on already.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee that is pretty damn promising to see him in that shape before we have started preseason. Shows a pretty professional mindset. Players who are in the last year of their contract generally have watermark seasons so Worps looks set to step up a notch in 19. He got a wake up call in the finals was a fair way off which looks to have spurred him on already.
Agree. I thought finals exposed him to a new level and he looked nervous.
Really like him though and looking ready for another red hot go next year.

Dave Id

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
Didn't do Jordan Lewis any harm.

Same weight and height.

Both first year Rising Star nominees.

Both potential captains.

Top Bottom