Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Round 21 Rising star Nom!

tige19

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NUFC, Orlando, Packers, Trump
I remember Worps AND the fam being a little salty that Geelong didn't select him and then all the Family changed to support the Hawks. I still think the saltiness exists and he will stay with the Hawks for giving him the opportunity and showing the faith.
That's what we want to here, feck Geelong, scum club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CoagVex

Senior List
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He lost 4kg in a few days when he got Bali belly a couple of weeks ago which basically accelerated his weight loss.
Whether or not he puts it straight back on or uses this event to run with it now is the query

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
He lost 4kg in a few days when he got Bali belly a couple of weeks ago which basically accelerated his weight loss.
Whether or not he puts it straight back on or uses this event to run with it now is the query
That would be water weight rather than muscle mass though. It takes much, much longer for muscle to atrophy (especially 4kg of it).

CoagVex

Senior List
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes agreed water over muscle, he also wouldn't have eaten much for the week so unless he overcompensates by eating more to make up for it, he may have lost a kg from it.
But I don't know much about this stuff just a layman here

kazzooka

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
In regards to the contract. If he continues to improve on last year and establish himself as an AFL player and not potential he will deserve a pay rise and 3-4 year contract.

Hawthorn will be planning on him demanding a higher pay and other clubs making offers.

Just need to back ourselves to not lowball him but also to not pay too much to keep him.

I suspect that he will demand a good contract and we will provide one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

essaynode

Senior List
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We just gave him number 5 so I assume that means we rate him highly. A pay rise will have to follow.
I've got vague recollections that the Crimmins family chooses (or at least has a big say in) who wears #5. Is that correct? So it might mean the Crimmins family likes the look of him and not so much how highly the club rates him. And I'm also thinking of #23 as an example of not reading too much into numbers. (I personally hope that the players that wear any number succeed and become stars in the Brown and gold.)

TylerDurden

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've got vague recollections that the Crimmins family chooses (or at least has a big say in) who wears #5. Is that correct? So it might mean the Crimmins family likes the look of him and not so much how highly the club rates him. And I'm also thinking of #23 as an example of not reading too much into numbers. (I personally hope that the players that wear any number succeed and become stars in the Brown and gold.)
Yes. The Crimmins family tell the club who they’d like in the number.

flinchfree

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh boy.:flushed:
No question were going early with this.
I mean, I like the kid plenty, but....
Well, plenty of carrot I guess to make a career and there's nowhere to hide on the field in that number - so all the best to Worps.

RedmanWasHere

Rarely in kitchens at parties.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Brisbane AFLW
Oh boy.:flushed:
No question were going early with this.
I mean, I like the kid plenty, but....
Well, plenty of carrot I guess to make a career and there's nowhere to hide on the field in that number - so all the best to Worps.

Burton was given the No. 5 heading into his 2nd season.
The same phase of Worpel's career.

flinchfree

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burton was given the No. 5 heading into his 2nd season.
The same phase of Worpel's career.
Yup.
We went early with Burto too, though he showed potential in a game changing position of the field and style of play that was romantic in its notion. A little bit of "maybe he's Knights-lite?", and he'd had huge wraps coming up as a junior before knee injury.
Worps is/was well regarded but not considered an obvious all world elite star as junior.
He showed some glimpses last year that he could exceed those prognostications of just being reliably very good. Really exciting glimpses.
Big call after year 1, and at Hawthorn we've shown an ability to get more right than wrong so my nuts will be tight with anticipation for what they've seen and what he will show us going forward.

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yup.
We went early with Burto too, though he showed potential in a game changing position of the field and style of play that was romantic in its notion. A little bit of "maybe he's Knights-lite?", and he'd had huge wraps coming up as a junior before knee injury.
Worps is/was well regarded but not considered an obvious all world elite star as junior.
He showed some glimpses last year that he could exceed those prognostications of just being reliably very good. Really exciting glimpses.
Big call after year 1, and at Hawthorn we've shown an ability to get more right than wrong so my nuts will be tight with anticipation for what they've seen and what he will show us going forward.
Won't be surprised if he appears to have a "quiet year" in 2019. He'll be challenged by the coaches to play a more defensive, team-orientated role. If he does it well he'll poll well in the PCM despite appearing to have gone backwards to those on the outside just looking on the surface. Then eventually he'll be let loose to play his more natural game again, but he'll be a more well rounded player because of it.

Top Bottom