Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

69290783_1320257858137211_7566486469963939840_n.jpg

Will Goddard admit he has got this call horribly at any stage or is the flog to stuck up his own arse to admit he is clueless. It's about time people in the media remind him about his assessment of the Worpedo because it's as bad a call I've seen anyone make for a long time.

Not to mention - he’s a 19 year old kid who went in the middle of the draft playing his second season. Why the * did Floggard see fit to go after him at all? Wonder if it’s a tiny bit of jealousy that Worps is producing far better second year numbers than the pretzel pounder ever did. Seems the seething and jealous type.

This is a massive call to make so early, but watching him recently I genuinely think he will end up one of our greatest ever players.

His work around stoppages is seriously a work of art to see live at the ground. Not sure I’ve ever seen a 20 year old have a season this good with so much responsibility placed on his shoulders.

He is a joy to watch and he will one day captain us to a premiership. No doubt about it.

How’s he going for the b+f?

Sicily, Worpel, Hardwick, Impey and Henderson are probably the only ones seriously in the conversation?

Worp's star is rising rather than stagnating! Was fading out of games until the last two months, but now is finishing strongly. Pretty amazing for a second year player playing in a demanding position. Another pre-season and more intensive coaching from Sammy should see further improvement with his stamina, strength and skills.

I wonder what other roles he can play? One or two of our current starting midfield are going to have to re-skill as we will be facing the Geelong/ Collingwood situation of having too much inside class and grunt. Which is a nice problem to have! However we need to make sure our mids run both ways, unlike some other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worp's star is rising rather than stagnating! Was fading out of games until the last two months, but now is finishing strongly. Pretty amazing for a second year player playing in a demanding position. Another pre-season and more intensive coaching from Sammy should see further improvement with his stamina, strength and skills.

I wonder what other roles he can play? One or two of our current starting midfield are going to have to re-skill as we will be facing the Geelong/ Collingwood situation of having too much inside class and grunt. Which is a nice problem to have! However we need to make sure our mids run both ways, unlike some other clubs.
I posted this a little while back, but he improved in the second half of last season and he has done it again this season.
This is his level - elite!

Worpel, Henderson 1/2, the rest have either had down periods or been injured. O’Meara will be top 5 aswell.

Don’t discount Hardwick. Hasn’t had a down period at all and most of his key stats are up from last year. If last year was good enough to be runner up then he’s going to go close to winning this year.

That said - I think Worps is now odds-on favourite.

Honestly, I think he's gone past O'Meara.

Not necessarily a knock on O'Meara, but Worpel has gone to another level. He got the tag this week, not Jaeger
He has definitely had a better second half of the year than Jaeger. But JOM started so well.

I'm hopeful that both will go at that sustained level next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Compare the pair (stats comparison at same age - roughly same games played - 21 for Worps, 19 for the snack basher):

Worpel - 26.9 disposals per game.
Goddard - 14.9 disposals per game.

Thought the same watching him yesterday, he's getting that little hip shift that seems to evade all tacklers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One or two of our current starting midfield are going to have to re-skill as we will be facing the Geelong/ Collingwood situation of having too much inside class and grunt. Which is a nice problem to have! However we need to make sure our mids run both ways, unlike some other clubs.
depth chart right now would be roughly Titch/JOM/Worps/Wingers/Shiels/Howe/Cousins/Jones.

Titch the extractor, im not sure where else he'd be suited to play. Maybe a wing if, say Hendo is forward and scully on the bench?

JOM has the strength and burst speed to play as a forward.

Wingard we know can play as a forward.

Howe has shown a lot down back recently, especially against Geelong.

Would Shiels be able to play a role as a defender? I have noticed he's been going for his marks a lot this year.

Worpel I feel is like titch, best suited as a midfielder.

starting lineup something like Titch/Worpel/Wingard in the centre with Shiels on a back flank, JOM on a forward flank and Howe/Cousins on the bench.

Titch rotates onto a wing, hendo slides forward, JOM into the midfield,

probably a few missing links in there

depth chart right now would be roughly Titch/JOM/Worps/Wingers/Shiels/Howe/Cousins/Jones.

Titch the extractor, im not sure where else he'd be suited to play. Maybe a wing if, say Hendo is forward and scully on the bench?

JOM has the strength and burst speed to play as a forward.

Wingard we know can play as a forward.

Howe has shown a lot down back recently, especially against Geelong.

Would Shiels be able to play a role as a defender? I have noticed he's been going for his marks a lot this year.

Worpel I feel is like titch, best suited as a midfielder.

starting lineup something like Titch/Worpel/Wingard in the centre with Shiels on a back flank, JOM on a forward flank and Howe/Cousins on the bench.

Titch rotates onto a wing, hendo slides forward, JOM into the midfield,

probably a few missing links in there
One of the main reasons I’m hoping to see Coniglio at our club is to see JOM spend more time forward. He had a great leap and burst on him at Gold Coast, and we havent encouraged that in his play at HFC. If we have Mitchell, Worpel and Cogs to extract, I hope to see it more. Jaeger and Chad will become mid/fwds, I hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back