Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Worpel will be developed into a mid who can rest forward as well, something like the Dusty role. He is powerful and suprisingly strong overhead too. Can certainly find a goal or two and is a great kick inside 50 when he finds some space. Worth a try anyway.

Extraordinary effort for a second year player - light years ahead of any other young player in the league and mind boggling that the flogs in the meedya haven’t acknowledged what this kid is doing.
There is no way you can say anything that is positive about the Hawks

Do the 2017 draft again and he's top 5.

When the media blast us for "avoiding" the draft, I just laugh and remember picks like Worpel. Don't need a top 10 pick to get a top 10 player. It's a weighted lottery, but still a lottery

If you take Tim Kelly out of the equation he's arguably going number 1. His numbers and output in the past 6 weeks has far surpassed what Rayner/Stephenson have been able to produce. He's light years ahead of any other young midfielder drafted that year. I also find it amusing that with our future first and their first St. Kilda drafted Clark/Coffield (and rubbed it in our faces) and we took Worpel at 45 lol

If you take Tim Kelly out of the equation he's arguably going number 1. His numbers and output in the past 6 weeks has far surpassed what Rayner/Stephenson have been able to produce. He's light years ahead of any other young midfielder drafted that year. I also find it amusing that with our future first and their first St. Kilda drafted Clark/Coffield (and rubbed it in our faces) and we took Worpel at 45 lol
His numbers with Tim Kelly in the draft...you'd still go Worps...younger and actually has room for improvement (for the stagnators out there come @ me bro). Tim Kelly has been at the same level both seasons except for a good first 8 weeks this year.

Naughton goes 1 for mine....but he was originally pick 9 so not too far off the mark

One of the main reasons I’m hoping to see Coniglio at our club is to see JOM spend more time forward. He had a great leap and burst on him at Gold Coast, and we havent encouraged that in his play at HFC. If we have Mitchell, Worpel and Cogs to extract, I hope to see it more. Jaeger and Chad will become mid/fwds, I hope.
I watched the Hawks v Suns again last night. Teams are not giving JOM an inch. Every time he went near the ball he had a sun shining out of his.......

I would love him to be freed up a bit next year. The poor bugger has has a horror trot. Just when it looks like he was back to full fitness Mitch gets hurt and he has to play contested bull all year. I hope he can play outside and forward a bit more next year as well. Hitting the scoreboard a few times would do him the world of good.

He looks a bit down on confidence to me atm but has done the team thing all year which is a credit to him. JOM is a big reason why Worps has been off the leash so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Worpel will be developed into a mid who can rest forward as well, something like the Dusty role. He is powerful and suprisingly strong overhead too. Can certainly find a goal or two and is a great kick inside 50 when he finds some space. Worth a try anyway.

Honestly we will need him to. If the best case scenario happens in the off season then we would have a deep midfield - but only Coniglio and Wingard have really shown that they can be very dangerous forwards.

I think Jaeger could play on a HFF or deep, but he's not shown that he can do what Wingard and Coniglio can do deep forward.

Mitchell isn't going to play anywhere but in but middle IMO (though I can kind of image that he could play FB and just be a midfielder when the ball is in our area, allowing others to zone up outside the 50).

agree. rewind to his one on one w Hurley last year. super strong in the hips and overhead. get excited.

This post never gets old.
1b1cecdf0ba3b420ea7767d7d1a6d544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Extraordinary effort for a second year player - light years ahead of any other young player in the league and mind boggling that the flogs in the meedya haven’t acknowledged what this kid is doing.

There are other very good young players across the league (McGluggage and Taranto are having great seasons for example), not sure we can say he is light years ahead of any other young player.

From the article
Three players had at least 30 possessions in Round 22 and Round 21 and Round 20 and Round 19.

Dustin Martin. Jack Macrae. James Worpel.

His last month has been fantastic

There are other very good young players across the league (McGluggage and Taranto are having great seasons for example), not sure we can say he is light years ahead of any other young player.

Perhaps I was a tad enthusiastic, however, I reckon that he has them all covered at the moment with the possible exception of Naughton

Perhaps I was a tad enthusiastic, however, I reckon that he has them all covered at the moment with the possible exception of Naughton

Yep, he’s been better than all of them over the second half of the season IMO, and he is younger than those other midfielders too. Unbelievable second season he has put together.

Yep, he’s been better than all of them over the second half of the season IMO, and he is younger than those other midfielders too. Unbelievable second season he has put together.
I reckon Taranto all season would have him just covered, but we should compare Taranto to next year's Worpel as he is a year and another preseason older. Next year's Worpel is going to be an absolute beast.

Also, haven't seen any suspect in worpels kicking at all. In fact I would say from what I have seen Worpel is a better kick than Jaeger, Mitchell and shiels

Remove this Banner Ad

Back