Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Its the Russell blueprint for a midfielder, love his wortj ethic got a real winner on our hands that wants to improve at every opportunity

If Worpel makes a few improvements to his decision making and disposal, he could be anything.

He needs to avoid the urge to go all Dangerfield “run 100 metres, attempt goal-of-the-year and turn the ball over”.

He’s still just a kid, but he’s got great promise.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Worpel makes a few improvements to his decision making and disposal, he could be anything.

He needs to avoid the urge to go all Dangerfield “run 100 metres, attempt goal-of-the-year and turn the ball over”.

He’s still just a kid, but he’s got great promise.
He looked really good by foot in low pressure games like against Carlton, did a few ripping passes inside 50, but made some shocking kicks in the finals. Is very prone to the Langford mongrel punts out of a contest or while on a run, showed enough to work with though, Mitchell wasn't an elite kick when he first started either.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
I am assuming Geelong are deep into his ear, I hope he has the strength of character to stay with Hawthorn. They'll be promising everything, and being from Geelong he'd know that he could have royalty status if he made the switch...

Hope we can keep him, love how he goes about it.

I am assuming Geelong are deep into his ear, I hope he has the strength of character to stay with Hawthorn. They'll be promising everything, and being from Geelong he'd know that he could have royalty status if he made the switch...

Why would you assume Geelong would be deep in his ear. Not every Falcons player wants to play for Geelong. Hodge didn't

Why would you assume Geelong would be deep in his ear. Not every Falcons player wants to play for Geelong. Hodge didn't

Because all players go home to their boyhood supported club. You know, except for the vast majority who don’t.

Doesn't mean he's interested, but they'd be mad not to be.

Ablett has about 1 year left, Kelly will be gone at year's end & Selwood is slowing down.

There's no chance that Geelong isn't interested in a player/person with the attributes he's shown, especially (not 'because') he has ties to the area.

Last edited:

Hong Kong Hawk

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Brom

I’m sure Sam Mitchell is deeper in his ear. I’m of the belief that Worpel will improve out of sight with his coaching and mentoring

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Thanks for giving it even a seconds thought boys :rolleyes:

Geelong's second tier, and inside grunt beyond Selwood is pretty non-existent. Worpel has a huge family out that way, and looks to be growing into a quality inside bull. If i were them I'd be exploring the family and club ties vigorously if that might get him.

Agreed, but Worpel grew up in Bannockburn (15kms west of Geelong and his whole family are mad Geelong fans). Hodge was from Colac, Lewis from Warrnambool. There’s a massive difference between the rural and local Falcons’ players re: affinity with Geelong. Worpel would have a stronger attachment for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be surprised if Worpel thought driving 80 mins west to play for Geelong would be a better option than playing for a club twice their size for the GOAT of coaches.
I dunno, he may like the idea of returning to live in Geelong. Given his parents and 8 siblings still live there.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dunno, he may like the idea of returning to live in Geelong. Given his parents and 8 siblings still live there.

It’s not like they’re in another country... the go home factor is pathetic in footy, I’d like to think that we draft blokes with enough character that they can handle living 80 mins from Mum and dad. If the club is good to him and he is good to us, he stays.

It is not often that I find myself agreeing with tige, but if Worps can't get out from under his mother's skirts and needs to go back and live there and play for the handbaggers, then good riddance.

There are not too many players who get drafted by the club they supported as a kid and even less that eventually trade back to that club. I get the GCS thing that drives them out but that is an exceptional circumstance. For that matter, you don't see too many Swans players requesting trades back home. Good clubs tend to keep their players until they are delisted or traded.

FWIW, the Cats passed over Worpel at pick 36 in favour of Constable, a versatile mid with good VFL form, who may yet prove to be a good pick up.

Last edited:

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This bloke seems to have a great attitude. Needs to work closely with Sam Mitchell and follow the example set by Tom and Jaeger. Hasn't got the athletic gifts of others but he's got the drive to get the absolute maximum out of himself.

FWIW, the Cats passed over Worpel at pick 36 in favour of Constable, a versatile mid with good VFL form, who may yet prove to be a good pick up.

Constable will definitely prove to be a good pick up. Suffered injuries last year, but is more naturally talented than Worpel IMO. He also lives 80 minutes away from Geelong (in Bayside Melbourne). So perhaps a direct swap of the two at some stage could be engineered....:D

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn

chill.

srsly tho hate to break it to you but the reality is all good players get targeted. do not worry about it - we have a very good environment. not many players we want to keep leave anyway.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Constable will definitely prove to be a good pick up. Suffered injuries last year, but is more naturally talented than Worpel IMO. He also lives 80 minutes away from Geelong (in Bayside Melbourne). So perhaps a direct swap of the two at some stage could be engineered....:D

You basically want him to go to Geelong, every one of your posts are positive to it. Geelong is a cesspit of Ice induced deros, the only thing that hell hole has going for it is the road out of it heading to Lorne. I hope the club signs him long term before the season, put this all to bed, he'd bat be s**t crazy not to stay and become a 250 game legend.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
chill.

srsly tho hate to break it to you but the reality is all good players get targeted. do not worry about it - we have a very good environment. not many players we want to keep leave anyway.

When we have Brownlow medalists, all Australians and rising star winners openly say they come to us for less cash because everyone becomes better becomes better at Hawthorn, you know you're doing the right thing. James going to Geelong basically guarantees he won't be as good as if he stayed.

You basically want him to go to Geelong, every one of your posts are positive to it. Geelong is a cesspit of Ice induced deros, the only thing that hell hole has going for it is the road out of it heading to Lorne. I hope the club signs him long term before the season, put this all to bed, he'd bat be s**t crazy not to stay and become a 250 game legend.
Why are you attacking me and the city Geelong? Not capable of a rational discussion?

I’m not saying I want him to leave. Where did I say that?

I’ve been very impressed with his first year but he will have to work hard to raise his ceiling so he becomes a regular in a strong HFC team.

Skill execution and ability to work away from the contest are clear areas to work on. They always have been for him as a junior.

If Geelong are in decline, as I hope they are, he may have more regular midfield opportunities there in a couple of years’ time.

Take the emotion out of it, and you’ll realise it’s just a common sense option.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Doesn't mean he's interested, but they'd be mad not to be.

Ablett has about 1 year left, Kelly will be gone at year's end & Selwood is slowing down.

There's no chance that Geelong isn't interested in a player/person with the attributes he's shown, especially (not 'because') he has ties to the area.
They are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back