Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He's put off contract talks so that he can let his footy do the talking and get the best possible deal for himself. Not that uncommon in the AFL.

Occam's razor etc.

This

You basically want him to go to Geelong, every one of your posts are positive to it. Geelong is a cesspit of Ice induced deros, the only thing that hell hole has going for it is the road out of it heading to Lorne. I hope the club signs him long term before the season, put this all to bed, he'd bat be s**t crazy not to stay and become a 250 game legend.

Agree with the sentiment, but in the interests of pedantry, it's going away from it.

Hawks have a pretty rigid, set pay structure.

Not sure he's going to be able to get massive dollars.
Sure, but there's definitely going to be a significant salary difference between a 2nd year player who while very promising could be quickly dropped with a poor game (where he is at now), and that of a player who is a key cog of the midfield engine room and clearly entrenched within the starting 18 (something he could potentially be by late 2019).

Unless he thinks he has little to no room for improvement, or no belief that he can make significant leaps forward next season, then it would be a poor decision for him to commit to a contract now that is based mostly on where he is at right now. His management would be advising him of the same thing, I'm sure.

From a Hawthorn club perspective we're probably hesitant to rush into offering him a deal based on just half a season worth of good footy and the assumption that he'll continue that trajectory in the coming years. We did that with Langford following his back half of 2014 and in hindsight it was a mistake.

Sure, but there's definitely going to be a significant salary difference between a 2nd year player who while very promising could be quickly dropped with a poor game (where he is at now), and that of a player who is a key cog of the midfield engine room and clearly entrenched within the starting 18 (something he could potentially be by late 2019).

Unless he thinks he has little to no room for improvement, or no belief that he can make significant leaps forward next season, then it would be a poor decision for him to commit to a contract now that is based mostly on where he is at right now. His management would be advising him of the same thing, I'm sure.

From a Hawthorn club perspective we're probably hesitant to rush into offering him a deal based on just half a season worth of good footy and the assumption that he'll continue that trajectory in the coming years. We did that with Langford following his back half of 2014 and in hindsight it was a mistake.
Yes sure, but all and sundry are aware of his potential and i'm sure the structure is tiered for years played and games played/potential.

I can't see the club budging too much on what the structure is and I'm sure he'll sign another short extension so that he can build up the next contract, the one after 50-60 games.

Yes sure, but all and sundry are aware of his potential and i'm sure the structure is tiered for years played and games played/potential.

I can't see the club budging too much on what the structure is and I'm sure he'll sign another short extension so that he can build up the next contract, the one after 50-60 games.

Makes the most sense. 2 - 3 year extention....

It's pretty normal for young players in similar positions to put of contract talks - mostly because they think they can go up another level towards the end of the season and earn themselves another $50-100k on what they'd make if they signed now. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Brad Hill, James Sicily and a few others all did the very same thing.

It's nothing to worry about - pretty stock standard player agent move. Not to mention there's bugger all of a go-home factor when you're an hours drive away (and even if there were, we would be saying hello to a pretty nice pick next year from Geelong).

It's pretty normal for young players in similar positions to put of contract talks - mostly because they think they can go up another level towards the end of the season and earn themselves another $50-100k on what they'd make if they signed now. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Brad Hill, James Sicily and a few others all did the very same thing.

It's nothing to worry about - pretty stock standard player agent move. Not to mention there's bugger all of a go-home factor when you're an hours drive away (and even if there were, we would be saying hello to a pretty nice pick next year from Geelong).
I agree. And even though 50-100k is small bickies in terms or salary cap, it is still a HUGE amount to a 20-21 year old guy!

Seriously...
All beandip said was Geelong would be crazy not to be talking to him. Ofcourse they would be.

For so many people to be jumping down one of the most rational and best posters in this all too often robotic one sided forum is pathetic.

Id rather read his posts all day than see so many people spouting s**t in the hawthorn have head*ed everyone, then in the next breath flip out over how we are so hard done by and the whole world is against us.

Last season Worpel played about what approximately 60% of game time? If he can play close to 80% or above in 2019 he could potentially average 20 disposals and 1 goal per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the picture posted above and others from that session, Worps looks in ridiculous shape. Granted the kid is just genetically lean and muscular, but he's definitely leaned out even more - hoping a better endurance base has come with it because the sky is the limit for this kid if it has.

From the picture posted above and others from that session, Worps looks in ridiculous shape. Granted the kid is just genetically lean and muscular, but he's definitely leaned out even more - hoping a better endurance base has come with it because the sky is the limit for this kid if it has.

Looks a bit skinny for mine, I know we like our boys lean but that’s cost us contested footy so often. Hoping he doesn’t look that strength inside the contest, he is going to be vital for us winning the footy.

Looks a bit skinny for mine, I know we like our boys lean but that’s cost us contested footy so often. Hoping he doesn’t look that strength inside the contest, he is going to be vital for us winning the footy.

Considering the power of work midfielders do it's more important to outwork the opposite team, and have each player outwork their opponent. He's still big enough and looks strong enough to have power in the contest, so his ability to get from contest to contest is important. Especially considering he's what, 20?

Selwood, Cotchin, Mitchell, Neale all show that it's just as much craft as it is strength in the clinches.

Gee that is pretty damn promising to see him in that shape before we have started preseason. Shows a pretty professional mindset. Players who are in the last year of their contract generally have watermark seasons so Worps looks set to step up a notch in 19. He got a wake up call in the finals was a fair way off which looks to have spurred him on already.

Gee that is pretty damn promising to see him in that shape before we have started preseason. Shows a pretty professional mindset. Players who are in the last year of their contract generally have watermark seasons so Worps looks set to step up a notch in 19. He got a wake up call in the finals was a fair way off which looks to have spurred him on already.
Agree. I thought finals exposed him to a new level and he looked nervous.
Really like him though and looking ready for another red hot go next year.

Didn't do Jordan Lewis any harm.

Same weight and height.

Both first year Rising Star nominees.

Both potential captains.

I remember Worps AND the fam being a little salty that Geelong didn't select him and then all the Family changed to support the Hawks. I still think the saltiness exists and he will stay with the Hawks for giving him the opportunity and showing the faith.

I remember Worps AND the fam being a little salty that Geelong didn't select him and then all the Family changed to support the Hawks. I still think the saltiness exists and he will stay with the Hawks for giving him the opportunity and showing the faith.

That's what we want to here, feck Geelong, scum club!

He lost 4kg in a few days when he got Bali belly a couple of weeks ago which basically accelerated his weight loss.
Whether or not he puts it straight back on or uses this event to run with it now is the query

Remove this Banner Ad

Back